HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Seguin vs Hamilton (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1339093)

Charbacca08 02-01-2013 01:16 PM

Seguin vs Hamilton

It's been clear over the past couple of years that Tyler Seguin has become very popular as an icon for the Boston Bruins. Now, Dougie Hamilton has captured the imagination of the fans with just six games played wearing the spoked B on his chest.

I Understand that right now in their careers they are at different levels, and play two completely different positions. However, when push comes to shove who do you think will be the bigger superstar 12-15 years from now?

bruinswincup 02-01-2013 01:35 PM

Seguin

reidy 02-01-2013 01:40 PM

This should be interesting...

http://stylealchemy.com/wp-content/u...ofpopcorn1.gif

KnightofBoston 02-01-2013 01:42 PM

I have a feeling that Hamiltons career has a better chance than Tyler's at being in Boston for longer, I can see Seguin pricing himself out relative to what he brings. If he can't pick it up past what he's done so far this season, that's the path he'll be taking.

That said, I think both will be elite and you don't let guys like that go

reidy 02-01-2013 01:49 PM

I've actually given this a decent amount of thought lately. Since the first time I ever saw Tyler Seguin play, I've been so impressed by his physical tools. Coming out of Junior, the scouts made it sound as though Taylor Hall was the "toolsy" guy while Seguin was the cerebral, playmaking, Toews/Yzerman-comp who you'd want to build your franchise around. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that proves those comps at all.

To me, Seguin is supremely skilled. He is Boston's best skater, has an absolutely deadly shot, and has hands for days. He has all the tools in the world to be a superstar.

Hamilton meanwhile, in the limited viewings I've had, seems like a guy with tremendous hockey IQ and vision, while having a pretty legit skillset in his own right. He's huge, can skate, and he can shoot the puck as well as anybody on the B's back end not named Chara.

So it's clear that both are exceptionally talented players at their respective positions. In 2+ years of watching Seguin though, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever be that franchise cornerstone-type player who makes everyone around him better. I think he's a shoe-in for 30+ goals, 70+ points every season (I think a much more accurate comparison for Seguin right now is Patrick Marleau), and he's going to score some of the prettiest goals you'll ever see, but I think Dougie may actually be the more "valuable" guy in the long run. He's got all the skills, but it seems like he may have the better head for the game too. I've already seen him make plays with the puck on his stick no Bruins defenseman since Gonchar has been able to pull off. The pass to Krejci sticks out in my mind in particular. Everyone in that building aside from #46 was expecting him to try and beat Ward with a shot. Instead, he sold it, slid it over to Krejci who banged home the game winner with less than 2 minutes left. How many 19 year old rookie defenseman playing would have the poise to complete a play like that?

Time will tell, and I think we need to keep in mind that Dougie's sample size is much smaller than Seguin's (and the fact that they're both incredibly young), but I don't think it's far-fetched to say Hamilton may be the better player in the long run.

Kaoz 02-01-2013 02:08 PM

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335965

BAM.

Strafer 02-01-2013 02:45 PM

Hamilton

Number8 02-01-2013 02:54 PM

I think Hamilton has the chance ONLY because of the position he plays. If he can be a big dominant DMan to fill in for Chara as years go by that will be a huge huge addition to any team.

That said, I think Seguin will be a star. Like others said, I hope he doesn't price himself out of Boston. It's easier to lay down big cash for a premier 1D though.

Spoked-B 02-01-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reidy (Post 58835051)
I've actually given this a decent amount of thought lately. Since the first time I ever saw Tyler Seguin play, I've been so impressed by his physical tools. Coming out of Junior, the scouts made it sound as though Taylor Hall was the "toolsy" guy while Seguin was the cerebral, playmaking, Toews/Yzerman-comp who you'd want to build your franchise around. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that proves those comps at all.

To me, Seguin is supremely skilled. He is Boston's best skater, has an absolutely deadly shot, and has hands for days. He has all the tools in the world to be a superstar.

Hamilton meanwhile, in the limited viewings I've had, seems like a guy with tremendous hockey IQ and vision, while having a pretty legit skillset in his own right. He's huge, can skate, and he can shoot the puck as well as anybody on the B's back end not named Chara.

So it's clear that both are exceptionally talented players at their respective positions. In 2+ years of watching Seguin though, I'm beginning to wonder if he'll ever be that franchise cornerstone-type player who makes everyone around him better. I think he's a shoe-in for 30+ goals, 70+ points every season (I think a much more accurate comparison for Seguin right now is Patrick Marleau), and he's going to score some of the prettiest goals you'll ever see, but I think Dougie may actually be the more "valuable" guy in the long run. He's got all the skills, but it seems like he may have the better head for the game too. I've already seen him make plays with the puck on his stick no Bruins defenseman since Gonchar has been able to pull off. The pass to Krejci sticks out in my mind in particular. Everyone in that building aside from #46 was expecting him to try and beat Ward with a shot. Instead, he sold it, slid it over to Krejci who banged home the game winner with less than 2 minutes left. How many 19 year old rookie defenseman playing would have the poise to complete a play like that?

Time will tell, and I think we need to keep in mind that Dougie's sample size is much smaller than Seguin's (and the fact that they're both incredibly young), but I don't think it's far-fetched to say Hamilton may be the better player in the long run.

This. The pass he made last night to Marchand (?) for a semi-breakaway wasn't too shabby, either (especially for a guy playing his 6th game). In the his limited sample size he has shown that he's not timid about anything--whether offensively or defensively.

As for the OP: this organization has a legacy of top-notch, world-class defensemen. As much as I want both players in the organization for twenty years, Hamilton, I would guess, is the one will be that cornerstone.

DoubleAAAA 02-01-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoked-B (Post 58839569)
This. The pass he made last night to Marchand (?) for a semi-breakaway wasn't too shabby, either (especially for a guy playing his 6th game). In the his limited sample size he has shown that he's not timid about anything--whether offensively or defensively.

As for the OP: this organization has a legacy of top-notch, world-class defensemen. As much as I want both players in the organization for twenty years, Hamilton, I would guess, is the one will be that cornerstone.

Loved the big hit on Ennis in the first too.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan 02-01-2013 03:32 PM

the board just had a poll on this very same identical question... the poll is on the second page now but does it even matter?

did we care who was better between neely and bourque? did we care who was better between orr and esposito?

i think it takes a couple great players at least to really establish a dynasty type team and i want the b's to be a dynasty type team. i hope both these guys and lucic and bergeron and rask and others stick around for a long long time to come

bruinswincup 02-01-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan (Post 58840833)
the board just had a poll on this very same identical question... the poll is on the second page now but does it even matter?

did we care who was better between neely and bourque? did we care who was better between orr and esposito?

i think it takes a couple great players at least to really establish a dynasty type team and i want the b's to be a dynasty type team. i hope both these guys and lucic and bergeron and rask and others stick around for a long long time to come

Umm Orr

Spoked-B 02-01-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA (Post 58839657)
Loved the big hit on Ennis in the first too.

Ditto.

Afam 02-01-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reidy (Post 58834511)

Ha Ha. Love the Sig.

smithformeragent 02-01-2013 04:28 PM

In the words of Luke Skywalker:

"There's something familiar about this place."

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1335965