HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Has Gagner proven to you to be a legit 2C? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1339339)

rockinghockey 02-01-2013 06:40 PM

Has Gagner proven to you to be a legit 2C?

Gagner over all is having a good start to the season. He is hustling, back checking and seems to be playing well with Yak. He still needs to improve in the FO% but what you see so far is he a legit 2C and do you want to keep him in EDM?

Jimmi Jenkins 02-01-2013 06:48 PM

For me, if he can continue a strong level of consistency (not this high, but high) this entire year, then I will feel more confident, though the Oilers will still have to find some size for the top-6

WeridAl 02-01-2013 07:14 PM

The question is how long can he keep it up, Gagner usually goes in spurts, IMO he has to be consistent to be a 2nd line C.

402 02-01-2013 07:18 PM

I think he is and can be a second line center on any team but i'd like the oilers to get a bigger guy if possible.
I really like gagner's game so far this season he's playing very well without a doubt

Aerchon 02-01-2013 07:21 PM

His last 2 games defensively have been where I expect a 2C to be. The points are just icing on the cake.

For more of this season I would say no. But 8 points in 7 games and a solid defensive effort the past couple games has me leaning more in the yes direction.

The Nuge 02-01-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 58850811)
For me, if he can continue a strong level of consistency (not this high, but high) this entire year, then I will feel more confident, though the Oilers will still have to find some size for the top-6

Agreed. If he can have a solid year here, Hemmer's probably the odd man out. That said, if he keeps up THIS pace, the discussion will be about whether he's a legit #1C or not

Joey Moss 02-01-2013 07:37 PM

Gagner already was a #2 center. Now he's proving he can be a very good one.

AlowlyOilersfan 02-01-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 58854931)
Gagner already was a #2 center. Now he's proving he can be a very good one.

Pretty much this.

What I like about Gagner is that he's always trying to become a better player.

TennisBalls 02-01-2013 08:10 PM

Instead of replacing Gagner with a big #2 centre like many people have been saying. I would look to getting a big gritty guy in place of Hemsky.

Joey Moss 02-01-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisBalls (Post 58857461)
Instead of replacing Gagner with a big #2 centre like many people have been saying. I would look to getting a big gritty guy in place of Hemsky.

I agree. David Clarkson would be a good replacement.

Keep Gagner. Holding on to him is finally paying off. But draft a guy or sign someone with size to replace Horcoff soon.

rockinghockey 02-01-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 58857949)
I agree. David Clarkson would be a good replacement.

Keep Gagner. Holding on to him is finally paying off. But draft a guy or sign someone with size to replace Horcoff soon.

I would love to get Clarkson but I am sure that he will resign in NJ, he would be the perfect fit, how much do you think he will sign in NJ for.

rockinghockey 02-01-2013 08:29 PM

How much do you guys think Gagner will take to resign though.

Joey Moss 02-01-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinghockey (Post 58858649)
I would love to get Clarkson but I am sure that he will resign in NJ, he would be the perfect fit, how much do you think he will sign in NJ for.

Not sure but New Jersey fans seem to ask about Hemsky once in a while. If Clarkson isn't signed by the deadline I would love to see a swap.

nullterm 02-01-2013 08:34 PM

Slow starts have always been Gags' problem. Looks like he sorted that out.

lakai17 02-01-2013 08:36 PM

Gagner is still very young, he could still become elite. He has real wingers now.

Mr Forever 02-01-2013 08:38 PM

I've been part of the trade Gagner camp for a couple of years now and to be totally honest I am so happy to say he's proving me wrong. I still have a worry that we aren't big enough in the top 6 to get deep in the western playoffs, but now it's clear Hemsky is the guy who should be sacrificed to add size before Gagner.

I've noticed on seperate occasions that Gagner can go out there and change the momentum of a game, he's like our energizer bunny.

I hope he can keep it up.

Joey Moss 02-01-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakai17 (Post 58859229)
Gagner is still very young, he could still become elite. He has real wingers now.

He's always had real wingers. Let's stop using the crappy linemates excuse for why our players haven't produced. It's getting old.

Vdhawan89 02-01-2013 08:51 PM

Not yet, if he keeps it up then yes.

supert 02-01-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nullterm (Post 58859013)
Slow starts have always been Gags' problem. Looks like he sorted that out.

Yes ,he starts picking it up in Jan . Oh it is already Feb . Lets wait and see if he breaks out and continue to play this way all year .
Here a question for you what about trading Yak ? He been clutch for us , But on the Main Board CBJ are looking for a pure goal scorer . Would anyone consider moving him for CBJ first and something else ? Maybe we draft that big center then

supert 02-01-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 58859693)
He's always had real wingers. Let's stop using the crappy linemates excuse for why our players haven't produced. It's getting old.

Also that whole line is -4 and i think Gagner is -3 . So Sam may have 8 points but been on the ice for 11 goals against

Tarus 02-01-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Moss (Post 58859693)

Except he was producing.

A 45 point player in a league where playoff teams are lucky to have even one 70 point scorer is a productive player.

Psycho Dad 02-01-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supert (Post 58864305)
Also that whole line is -4 and i think Gagner is -3 . So Sam may have 8 points but been on the ice for 11 goals against

No. Some of his points were on the PP.

gooilgo 02-01-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supert (Post 58864305)

...or some of Gagner's points may have come on the PP. .....just an idea :sarcasm:

Replacement 02-01-2013 09:36 PM

Not sure how long people need Gagner to be on a proving ground.

The guy has 55pts in his last 82GP. Good enough production to be #1Center on many clubs. Very few clubs have a #2 Center with these numbers.

Plus as far as intangibles the guy is all heart, loves playing here, WANTS to be part of this club, plays like he should be a captain(a real one) and does nothing but compete.

He's already there. But steadily improving, because Sam is never content and has the drive, like Eberle, to be the best he can be. You don't find many players like that. When you have em, you keep em. Regardless of size and theres plenty of battle in this dog.

Njoy Oilers 02-01-2013 09:39 PM

7 games in from pretty much everyone wanting to get rid of him, he is a Demi god. Proves HF drinks a good amount of Kool aid.
That said I want to see this compete level this complete season before I jump on the wagon.

End mini rant. :naughty: