HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   re visiting the carter/richards trades (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1339441)

4thline4life 02-01-2013 08:55 PM

re visiting the carter/richards trades

Would this team be a lot better right now with carter and Richards instead of vora,simmonds,couturier,schenn? Discuss.

LI Fly Guy 02-01-2013 08:56 PM

Grossmann also.

Nope.

JLHockeyKnight 02-01-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIceman26 (Post 58861121)
Would this team be a lot better right now with carter and Richards instead of vora,simmonds,couturier,schenn? Discuss.

Excellent timing.

Alchemy 02-01-2013 09:00 PM

Who knows and who cares. It's irrelevent now. All i know is Voracek, Couturier, and B.Schenn need to get their ***** kicked.

Victory5 02-01-2013 09:01 PM

Lets face it, the management of this team took a HUGE gamble.

They took a team that went to the cup a year ago, but crapped the bed the second half of the next season and pretty much ripped its heart out. Now, you can say whatever you want about attitude issues or whatever, but Carter and Richards were both entering their prime as hockey players, and past history had shown that they could produce, but they could never get a cup and snider and holmgren were impatient.

So we pretty much gambled and gave away two top players in their prime who couldnt seem to get over the hump for a bunch of prospects and rookies.

It was incredibly risky, but I guess they believed that you couldnt win with either guy (ironic huh). Now, I do believe that we still got left with a good deal.

Simmonds, Couts, Voracek, and Schenn may end up working out, but not without a few growing pains.

This team got a major facelift and did well the first year, but maybe were hitting a softmore slump, and a bad one at that.

Homer risked it all, we will know in a few years if he set us back a decade or made the deal of his life, but with the cup in LA right now, hes not looking too good.

1865 02-01-2013 09:03 PM

Knee jerk.

Beef Invictus 02-01-2013 09:03 PM

I guess this was inevitable.

OriginJM 02-01-2013 09:04 PM

close this thread

moosehead81 02-01-2013 09:04 PM

Probably wouldn't be any worst- I think you have to throw Bryz into the mix with the players coming in for Richards and Carter. Wasn't Carter moved to make money available for Bryzgalov? My honest opinion is that Richards would have been a better player as a Flyer rather than a King, whereas the opposite appears true for Carter.

zarley zelepukin 02-01-2013 09:05 PM

Whatever you thought at the time of the trade, I don't see much reason to change your mind now. Everybody knew Carter and Richards were excellent players. It made no sense to get back an 18 year old and a 20 year old and expect them to replace what was lost immediately. Basically, anybody who was a fan of those trades before should have the patience to deal with Schenn and Couturier growing up.

4thline4life 02-01-2013 09:08 PM

What if only keeping Richards? We won the carter trade but schenn looks brutal and Richards is better than Simmonds.

Primary Assist 02-01-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

If the clueless one had chosen Dougie Hamilton with the 8th pick in the 2011 entry draft instead of Couturier, then the Carter trade would have netted you Simmonds, a top 4 winger, and Hamilton, a stud defenseman, and therefore getting the best of that trade.

zarley zelepukin 02-01-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIceman26 (Post 58862305)
What if only keeping Richards? We won the carter trade but schenn looks brutal and Richards is better than Simmonds.

Doesn't Couturier also look kinda brutal, and isn't Carter better than Voracek?

FlyersFan61290 02-01-2013 09:18 PM

Wow...seriously? The whoe team has been terrible in general and they're all very young.

MsWoof 02-01-2013 09:20 PM

Carter is playing the best hockey of his career right now. Richards had a slow start but is also getting going and it looks like Gagne has worked his way up to their line after being a healthy scratch. As Holmgren said, we sure got different.

Philadelphia Ducks 02-01-2013 09:20 PM

Probably not, I still believe Schenn and Couts will develop into fine players. They're just having an awful sophmore slump.

PayItForward 02-01-2013 09:22 PM

I'd probably still do the trades. My biggest problem with them was that they did not get one d-man back.

Carter looks great right now though.

Undertakerqc 02-01-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Yes it would be. Those trades set the team back for years. Not has scary has it used to be. Much smaller team as well.

flyershockey 02-01-2013 09:27 PM

I love threads like this. All the Monday morning quarterbacks can get in here and beat their chests.

MP92 02-01-2013 09:28 PM

We have very young players who have great potential. Young players will have their struggles. That's what's happening. Look at it this way, if they keep playing like this, we could potentially land stud dman, Seth Jones. He'd fit right in with our young core. I seriously believe these trades will pay off. People just need to realize it wont happen right away.

StandingCow 02-01-2013 09:32 PM

One thing I never want is for the Flyers organization to stop being aggressive and taking gambles in regards to trades.

I am still all for the Carter trade. The Richards trade.... ehhh, I go back and forth on that, but I think it was still a good move.

flyershockey 02-01-2013 09:33 PM

I'm glad Carter is paying great, but it shouldn't have taken him 7 seasons and two trades to realize that he has to bring it every night in this league.

The Couturier Effect 02-01-2013 09:38 PM

Couts will be fine, just a sophmore in a slump. I still have some faith in Schenn cause he's still pretty young and also a sophmore in a slump. Simmonds has been great. And Voracek will either turn it around or be a trade asset. I still have no problem with these trades.

Mgkibbles 02-01-2013 09:42 PM

Well ya, obviously right now it would be. But for the next five years the Flyers will, hopefully, be better because of the trades. This is looking like one of those growing pains seasons, similar to 06-07.

Beef Invictus 02-01-2013 09:43 PM

The growing pain season came a year late. Interestingly, many of our predictions for last year ended up coming true this year. We struggle on offense and goaltending is at least solid.