HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Turning pro early (NCAA) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1340093)

Booba 02-02-2013 03:55 PM

Turning pro early (NCAA)

Which NCAA players (drafted or FAs) will turn pro before the end of their NCAA eligibility?

I guess Dan Dekeyser and Andrej Sustr will sign somewhere in the NHL this spring. I don't think we'll see Jacob Trouba and Jon Gaudreau back in the NCAA next year.

Who else could turn pro early?

as15 02-02-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booba (Post 58910049)
Which NCAA players (drafted or FAs) will turn pro before the end of their NCAA eligibility?

I guess Dan Dekeyser and Andrej Sustr will sign somewhere in the NHL this spring. I don't think we'll see Jacob Trouba and Jon Gaudreau back in the NCAA next year.

Nick Bjugstad, possibly Erik Haula and Nate Schmidt from Minnesota. Derek Forbort from North Dakota is a possibility as well. Maybe Mark Zengerle, Michael Mersch, and Jake McCabe from Wisconsin too.

Four1 Lead 02-02-2013 05:19 PM

Leafs will sign Tony Cameranesi to play alongside Sidney Crosby.

Dr Quincy 02-02-2013 05:23 PM

I'm leaning slightly to Trouba doing 1 more year in Michigan.

tyratoku 02-02-2013 05:52 PM

If Minnesota does well and Bjugstad calls it a college career, I could see Haula following suite.

Reinhart 02-02-2013 05:54 PM

Really up in the air with regards to Gaudreau leaving this year (he needs to put on some weight). However, it is very doubtful you see him beyond next year in the NCAA.

Aerial 02-03-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Quincy (Post 58915417)
I'm leaning slightly to Trouba doing 1 more year in Michigan.

This is what I think too -- my guess is that the Jets will give him one more year to fill out a bit. That said, I'm a lot less sure of that now than I was when he was drafted, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him up next season.

timekeep 02-03-2013 02:55 AM

I'd like to see Trouba make the jump.

Hynh 02-03-2013 03:20 AM

Not an NCAA guy but from what little I know there are changes coming to the conferences. If the Oilers feel that would be bad for him, I could see them moving Jujhar Khaira to their WHL team. Given his family's emphasis on education he'd probably ask for his ELC before doing so and put the signing bonus away in case he wants to continue his studies.

The Zetterberg Era 02-03-2013 03:24 AM

I could see the Wings turning Nick Jensen pro this year. They generally bring their guys out after their junior season. There was some speculation he was interested in turning pro last year and they told him to stay at St. Cloud State for another year. Haven't heard a lot since, and they have a logjam of potential guys with both Ouellet and Sproul expected in Grand Rapids, but I could still see them signing him this summer, otherwise they risk losing him as I think another team would be interested after his senior season.

Jaykay 02-03-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by as15 (Post 58914925)
Nick Bjugstad, possibly Erik Haula and Nate Schmidt from Minnesota. Derek Forbort from North Dakota is a possibility as well. Maybe Mark Zengerle, Michael Mersch, and Jake McCabe from Wisconsin too.

Bjugstad is 100% gone after this year, Haula and Schmidt will probably leave and I wouldn't be surprised if Condon and Budish did too.

Jaykay 02-03-2013 04:18 AM

Elsewhere in the WCHA I could see the following possibly leaving early:

Nick Shore, Joey LaLeggia and Scott Mayfield from Denver
Andrej Sustr, Matt White and Ryan Walters (leading scorer in the country) from UNO
Derek Forbort from UND
Mark Zengerle, Jake McCabe, and Michael Mersch from UW
Nick Jensen and possibly Nic Dowd from SCSU

kingsfan 02-03-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykay (Post 58956893)
Elsewhere in the WCHA I could see the following possibly leaving early:

Nick Shore, Joey LaLeggia and Scott Mayfield from Denver
Andrej Sustr, Matt White and Ryan Walters (leading scorer in the country) from UNO
Derek Forbort from UND
Mark Zengerle, Jake McCabe, and Michael Mersch from UW
Nick Jensen and possibly Nic Dowd from SCSU

Why so many Kings prospects? I don't see Forbort or Dowd coming out yet, and I'd expect Shore and Mersch to complete their time as well. The Kings have a lot of young forwards in Manchester still and little room at the NHL level, even next year.

HockeySensible 02-03-2013 11:58 AM

I expect Kevin Hayes to turn Pro next season and hope Stephen Johns does aswell. Both will have completed their Junior seasons.

Jaykay 02-03-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 58964319)
Why so many Kings prospects? I don't see Forbort or Dowd coming out yet, and I'd expect Shore and Mersch to complete their time as well. The Kings have a lot of young forwards in Manchester still and little room at the NHL level, even next year.

I was speculating based on readiness more than organizational needs. I hadn't even realized all they were Kings prospects other than Shore and Forbort.

Xokkeu 02-03-2013 01:58 PM

I'm not sure Zengerle is going to get as many offers from teams this year as he would if he played one more fully healthy season.

Jaykay 02-03-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xokkeu (Post 58974819)
I'm not sure Zengerle is going to get as many offers from teams this year as he would if he played one more fully healthy season.

I was surprised he wasn't signed last year but another full healthy season wouldn't hurt.

ShawnTHW 02-03-2013 03:03 PM

Nic Kerdiles. Mark my words. Ducks organization is insanely high on the kid and was debating offering him a contract when he was originally suspended by the team because of how well he did in camp.

He'll either be signed next offseason or the offseason after.

theIceWookie 02-03-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

More than a few Flames fans seem to think Gaudreau will stick it out one more year to play with his brother. He's pretty much dominated the competition but another year to add some strength can't hurt.

I think Trouba stays. He's gotta deal with inconsistency first. He'd be best served by staying another year. Or going to the OHL like Biggs did.

I actually think that's a more intriguing possibility. The number of guys who have gone to the CHL for a year has increased in recent years. It could be interesting to see who decides to do the transition year in the CHL first. Allows them to possibly go to AHL playoffs on some teams.

theIceWookie 02-03-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 58980425)
Nic Kerdiles. Mark my words. Ducks organization is insanely high on the kid and was debating offering him a contract when he was originally suspended by the team because of how well he did in camp.

I agree actually. It's really just a guess but it seems they would really like him to go pro sooner rather than later.

TheHudlinator 02-03-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

I think all signs point to Gaudreau staying at BC next year, he is only like 155 pounds so another year to add mass would be very good for him. His brother has committed to BC next so I would imagine he would want to play with his brother. The most important thing is that the Flames are not afraid to let him stay at BC as there is the potential that Granlund, Ferland, Horak, Reinhart, etc need spots in the top 6 on the Heat next year so playing an extra year at BC would give those guys time to adjust to being the go to guys on an ahl team.

sully61 02-03-2013 10:18 PM

Any rumors where sustr may end up?

SmellOfVictory 02-03-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGleninator (Post 59001343)
I think all signs point to Gaudreau staying at BC next year, he is only like 155 pounds so another year to add mass would be very good for him. His brother has committed to BC next so I would imagine he would want to play with his brother. The most important thing is that the Flames are not afraid to let him stay at BC as there is the potential that Granlund, Ferland, Horak, Reinhart, etc need spots in the top 6 on the Heat next year so playing an extra year at BC would give those guys time to adjust to being the go to guys on an ahl team.

Horak should likely be on the Flames next season, but other than that I agree.

KEEROLE Vatanen 02-03-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 58980425)

Interesting, I like him alot but many of us had assumed he'd spend atleast 2-3 years in college

Xokkeu 02-04-2013 02:11 AM

Kerdiles seems pretty dedicated to playing college hockey. He never even hesitated in his commitment to Wisconsin despite the ludicrous suspension. I'd be fairly surprised if he decided to leave after only one year.

Mersch would be the likeliest Badger to leave in my opinion, but I still think he stays. He's a good player, but not good enough to crack the Kings lineup and frankly he isn't playing like he's outgrown the NCAAs yet. So he'd be choosing between the AHL for a season or another year of college. I kind of think he'd pick school, but that's a bit of a guess on my part.