HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Understanding faceoffs in NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1340285)

lubesicle 02-02-2013 09:46 PM

Understanding faceoffs in NHL

I play in a recreational ice/roller league and refs always treat the faceoffs as whatever.

In the NHL for faceoffs, what difference does it mean for the home team's center to put his stick down later? Is there an advantage? Or is it more a formality?

Are the NHL linesmen sometimes a little lax too about who puts their stick down first?

And are you allowed to hit the puck in the air just before it hits the ground? What if it's by accident?

Thanks
Erik

tarheelhockey 02-02-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubesicle (Post 58933529)
And are you allowed to hit the puck in the air just before it hits the ground? What if it's by accident?

Yes, you're allowed. I find that I won more faceoffs like this than by any other method.

RandV 02-03-2013 01:46 AM

Not really a center though I can be decent at faceoffs in a pinch, but I'd imagine it has something to do with you watch for the puck to leave the refs hand, not hit the ice. So in the fraction of a second it takes for the puck to reach the ice having your stick farther out lets you take a stronger swing at it.

I'm more going on theory here but I think that sounds about right?

That Bear 02-04-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 58940601)
Yes, you're allowed. I find that I won more faceoffs like this than by any other method.

I'm quite sure you're not, I ref and in my association you're not allowed.

keysersoze98 02-05-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Bear (Post 59041203)

USA Hockey rule concerning this situation...

http://vvcap.net/db/e3_PcuMuoY-DxbZHiwfo.png

Thesensation19* 02-05-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

I play in a recreational ice/roller league and refs always treat the faceoffs as whatever.

In the NHL for faceoffs, what difference does it mean for the home team's center to put his stick down later? Is there an advantage? Or is it more a formality?

Are the NHL linesmen sometimes a little lax too about who puts their stick down first?

Thanks
Erik

There is always an advantage to knowing how your opponent will set up. So the home team gets a nice little advantage to knowing what line goes out first and what faceoff stance he will be taking.

keysersoze98 02-05-2013 01:50 PM

Another note on the USA Hockey rule book concerning face offs. The only faceoff location that the visitor is required to put their stick down first is the center ice dot. All other face offs, the attacking player (AKA offensive side of the ice) shall be the first to place their stick on the ice.

Ozz 02-05-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesensation19 (Post 59088913)
There is always an advantage to knowing how your opponent will set up. So the home team gets a nice little advantage to knowing what line goes out first and what faceoff stance he will be taking.

This. I'm strong on either hand, so I have no problem setting up first and seeing how the other guy will go. If it's someone who ends up being a quicker draw or is good at tying me up, I'll switch to the other position and often again in the middle of our setup. Otherwise I just try to beat them on my own quickness and I'm usually OK.

The refs don't care in my leagues how fidgety we are, as long as we're not taking early swings before the drop.

tarheelhockey 02-05-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Bear (Post 59041203)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryer98 (Post 59084903)
USA Hockey rule concerning this situation...

http://vvcap.net/db/e3_PcuMuoY-DxbZHiwfo.png

Possibly a USA/Canada difference? If so, that's weird.

Anyway, I've never had a ref say a word and I've picked pucks out of the air plenty of times.

ean 02-05-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

No you aren't. But no beer league ref really cares enough to stop the play and redo the drop.

keysersoze98 02-05-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ean (Post 59098205)
No you aren't. But no beer league ref really cares enough to stop the play and redo the drop.

In USA Hockey, you are allowed. What rules are you saying you are not?

keysersoze98 02-05-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 59096971)
Possibly a USA/Canada difference? If so, that's weird.

Anyway, I've never had a ref say a word and I've picked pucks out of the air plenty of times.

I've never looked at the Canada Hockey rule book, but I know they're very close due to cross over games.

tarheelhockey 02-05-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ean (Post 59098205)

Keep reading.

shoeshine boy 02-06-2013 11:23 AM

keeping my stick about an inch off the ice before the drop and swiping the puck out of the air has been a very effective method for me. it's technically illegal because my stick isn't on the ice before the drop but the ref dropping the puck really can't tell that my blade isn't down and the other ref is never paying attention to that. maybe twice have I had a ref tell me to put my blade all the way down.

BmxHockey 02-08-2013 05:21 PM

Okay, can someone elaborate on fo techniques! Would love to hear everyone's best.