HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is anything possible with Carey Price in net? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1340937)

bigtimehockeyfan999* 02-03-2013 05:16 PM

Is anything possible with Carey Price in net?

In 2004 the hurricanes finished 11th in the conference. the next season(2006) they were champs.

With a goalie like Carey Price and everyone healthy..are we a darkhorse for the cup if we do get into the playoffs?

Andrighetto Fabolous 02-03-2013 05:17 PM

If our defence can stay healthy anything is possible with Price in net.

Monsieur 02-03-2013 05:18 PM

Carey Price is a beast.

Captain Smurf 02-03-2013 05:24 PM

When healthy, we can roll three lines that can score, so we could emerge as a dark horse. Still, I want to see what this team does when they have to head out onto the road for a bit before getting to amped up.

Theosis 02-03-2013 05:25 PM

Lets see what happens against a Top tier team like the bRuins first...

Lafleurs Guy 02-03-2013 05:51 PM

Carey Price is definitely good enough to lead a team to a cup. Even one that is below average for a cup winner. Guy is a beast and he's been the best player on our team all year long. Hasn't had a bad game yet.

Habcentric 02-03-2013 06:00 PM

For us to challenge for the cup it has to be a whole set of circumstances going our way. No injuries, everyone working together, price playing out of his mind and of course a little luck. But like the magic run a few years ago with Halak in nets, anything is possible.

OneSharpMarble 02-03-2013 06:01 PM

And theres the jinx, Price will get injured next game.

Maliki2 02-03-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy (Post 58992435)
Carey Price is definitely good enough to lead a team to a cup. Even one that is below average for a cup winner. Guy is a beast and he's been the best player on our team all year long. Hasn't had a bad game yet.

Errr I beg to differ. :shakehead

Lafleurs Guy 02-03-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maliki2 (Post 58993153)

I've read your posts... I get it, you hate the guy. Fact is he's consistently been our best player.

charlie 02-03-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theosis (Post 58991289)
Lets see what happens against a Top tier team like the bRuins first...

Dont say that tooo loud................:allears:

TheBabysitter* 02-03-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maliki2 (Post 58993153)

That was Budaj in net against Ottawa loss. Price has won 6 straight games.

CaptainBenn 02-03-2013 06:26 PM

Carey is getting better and better every game he is surprisingly becoming one of the best goalies in the league at only what, 24? Is he signed long term? He is the franchise.

habspinner 02-03-2013 06:48 PM

I heard yesterday during the game that he wasn't satisfied being named in the top 10 of goalies in the league - he want's to be the best goalie in the world. Apparently he's in the best shape of this life. He looks so quick and big in the net in this early part of the season. We'll see how this pans out going forward, but right now he's looking very much like he did in 2010-2011 season.

lou4gehrig 02-03-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 (Post 58990831)
In 2004 the hurricanes finished 11th in the conference. the next season(2006) they were champs.

With a goalie like Carey Price and everyone healthy..are we a darkhorse for the cup if we do get into the playoffs?

Possibly, but not until Gal turns into a 80+ point player. Next year I hope.

Nedved 02-03-2013 07:06 PM

best i've seen price play. making the right saves, at the right times which is something he couldn't seem to do.

if he keeps this up, he'll be in contention for the big v. hope he can continue this play but, i wish, he could stay up a bit more. he gives the top part of the net a lot. not sure why? he likes being on his knees a lot this year. I wish someone could explain why he's doing it. again, if he continues being able to do this, regardless of the oddness on staying on his knees, i'll have to let it slide after years and years of bashing thomas, the road hockey goalie.

Beendair Donedat 02-03-2013 07:08 PM

Habs are one more shutdown mean defenseman away from being real contenders in my opinion.... And maybe a Ryane Clowe type up front. Lots of balance all over this year...

If we could pick up Clowe and a nasty defenseman at the deadline, I think we'd do some serious damage.

groovejuice 02-03-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedved (Post 58996125)
best i've seen price play. making the right saves, at the right times which is something he couldn't seem to do.

if he keeps this up, he'll be in contention for the big v. hope he can continue this play but, i wish, he could stay up a bit more. he gives the top part of the net a lot. not sure why? he likes being on his knees a lot this year. I wish someone could explain why he's doing it. again, if he continues being able to do this, regardless of the oddness on staying on his knees, i'll have to let it slide after years and years of bashing thomas, the road hockey goalie.

I made some similar observations in another thread. This hybrid butterfly style is obviously successful, but being off the skates reduces mobility from side to side and front to back. It seems to be all about positioning, and less about reflexes and athleticism.

As an observer I prefer the excitement of athleticism. As a fan, I prefer the puck stays out of the net...

Fozz 02-03-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habspinner (Post 58995247)
I heard yesterday during the game that he wasn't satisfied being named in the top 10 of goalies in the league - he want's to be the best goalie in the world. Apparently he's in the best shape of this life. He looks so quick and big in the net in this early part of the season. We'll see how this pans out going forward, but right now he's looking very much like he did in 2010-2011 season.

Are you saying he was in better shape in other lives? :sarcasm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy (Post 58992435)

Interesting comment coming from a tankologist. Wouldn't you want to give Price the best possible supporting cast now if he's good enough to give the team a chance to win now, instead of re-building for 4 or 5 years down the road?

Montreal Shadow 02-03-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 (Post 58990831)

Look at the Hurricanes squad that won the cup. Montreal isn't close to that level.

Lafleurs Guy 02-03-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozz (Post 58996931)
Interesting comment coming from a tankologist. Wouldn't you want to give Price the best possible supporting cast now if he's good enough to give the team a chance to win now, instead of re-building for 4 or 5 years down the road?

I've always believed in Carey Price.

I want to give our team the best possible chance at winning a cup. Yeah, I believe in rebuilding but not for the sake of it... it's a means to an end. As for surrounding him with the best team right NOW, that's less important to me than building a team that can win a cup in a few years from now.

If we can do it now though... great.

HarlemsFinest 02-03-2013 07:35 PM

as long as he is aware that he gives the upper part away, it can be like baiting it for a shot that he is anticipating shooters going high. and if he can be ready to react, then it's all good. but i find he goes through cycles. i've seen him, over the years go through decent stretches where he stays up and is having success, and times when he goes down and plays lower, sometimes with success, sometimes less.

NewHabsEra* 02-03-2013 07:53 PM

Price has a structure in front of him this year, thats the biggest difference from last year, our guys are fighting hard togheter.. Price has always been an elite goaltender and now that he has a structured team battling in front of him, sky is the limit!

bigtimehockeyfan999* 02-03-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat (Post 58996211)
Habs are one more shutdown mean defenseman away from being real contenders in my opinion.... And maybe a Ryane Clowe type up front. Lots of balance all over this year...

If we could pick up Clowe and a nasty defenseman at the deadline, I think we'd do some serious damage.

but what would we have to give up for ryan clowe..and why would san jose ever trade him, they are obviously gonna be going for it again this year.

Fozz 02-03-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsEra (Post 58999027)
Price has a structure in front of him this year, thats the biggest difference from last year, our guys are fighting hard togheter.. Price has always been an elite goaltender and now that he has a structured team battling in front of him, sky is the limit!

It's more than that. In fact, I think that the improved defense is the biggest difference this year compared to last year. Markov being his old self has a tremendous impact, of course. However, both Diaz and Emelin were first year players last year and had never even played on the NA ice surface, let alone play against such high level of play. They're both so much better now.