HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   OT: 680 Soccer matches FIXED by organized crime (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1341281)

nanuuq 02-04-2013 10:22 AM

680 Soccer matches FIXED by organized crime
 
WOW

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

much worse than the basketball game fixing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Donaghy

White Goodman 02-04-2013 10:30 AM

Those damn Brits.

Johnny Hanson 02-04-2013 11:13 AM

Seems like yesterdays sens game might have been fixed, too

ISensFanI 02-04-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson (Post 59019375)
Seems like yesterdays sens game might have been fixed, too

Yeah I was just about to come here and say the same thing. I wonder how much those rizutto ****s paid those refs yesterday

Benny FTW 02-04-2013 12:09 PM

I wonder how much vCash I lost. Nuts.

John Holmes* 02-04-2013 12:36 PM

1) No surprises here.

2) Donaghy never admitted to influencing the outcome of games as a ref, just to using his insider knowledge of lineups and referee personalities to guess the most likely outcome of a game.

I didn't read the wiki article, but I did see a long interview with him and I don't think there was ever any clear cut example of him making the wrong call on purpose.

FolignoQuantumLeap 02-04-2013 12:51 PM

Not surprising to anyone who follows soccer. Its amusing though because so many British people and EPL fans stick their nose up to the Italians and their ridiculously corrupt league (entire country really) but the same crap goes on at home.

It doesn't help that almost every other team is sponsored by gambling websites. For people who want that to carry over to the NHL, I say HELL NO. Not worth it.

2CHAINZ 02-04-2013 01:14 PM

Pretty crazy but not very uncommon I remember when Italy won the world cup and the scandal of fixing matches surrounding a bunch of teams in serie A. Think this just puts into perspective just how huge Soccer is.

Rumcajs 02-04-2013 01:26 PM

Huge scandal already went down in Italy a year ago over the same issues. Many rigged matches. A former Seria A player Marco Di Vaio now playing with the Montreal Impact had to leave mid season go to court over this. He was acquitted but still huge impact for soccer.

Mercurial 02-04-2013 01:33 PM

And that's just Sir Alex Ferguson.

Really should be no betting on sports, then this would all go away.

Kellogs 02-04-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercurial (Post 59025207)
And that's just Sir Alex Ferguson.

Really should be no betting on sports, then this would all go away.

But then that's no fun....

BankStreetParade 02-04-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap (Post 59023127)
Not surprising to anyone who follows soccer. Its amusing though because so many British people and EPL fans stick their nose up to the Italians and their ridiculously corrupt league (entire country really) but the same crap goes on at home.

It doesn't help that almost every other team is sponsored by gambling websites. For people who want that to carry over to the NHL, I say HELL NO. Not worth it.

It said the game was played in England, it didn't say which team or which nationality of player(s) was involved. It could have been an Italian team involved for instance. Maybe someone could post all the CL games played in England over the last 4 years and highlight which results seemed to be the most suspicious, ie. a top ranked team tying or losing to an inferior club.

2CHAINZ 02-04-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercurial (Post 59025207)
And that's just Sir Alex Ferguson.

Really should be no betting on sports, then this would all go away.

gambling on sports is to huge to not exist

CanadianHockey 02-04-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BankStreetParade (Post 59027869)
It said the game was played in England, it didn't say which team or which nationality of player(s) was involved. It could have been an Italian team involved for instance. Maybe someone could post all the CL games played in England over the last 4 years and highlight which results seemed to be the most suspicious, ie. a top ranked team tying or losing to an inferior club.

It was also just one game at the CL level. The rest were from the lower tier leagues.

mianjo 02-04-2013 02:50 PM

You might want to read the article again, it says 680 matches were fixed and ONE British match was fixed, now one is one to many, but dont blame the Brits for fixing games, Canadians might want to investigate more closely and check that the CSL (Canadian Soccer League) was also involved http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...ch-fixing.html

John Holmes* 02-04-2013 03:54 PM

The officiating is so bad in the NHL that you have to wonder the same thing about league directives that "Series X" needs to go 7, and "Team X" should win.

Look how the Devils hooked, held & interfered their way to multiple Cup victories. I remember John Madden kneeling on Alfredsson's chest, pinning him down and keeping him there well behind the play, then Alfie get's up, gives him a little shot and gets two minutes for whatever.

Anytime money is in the equation there is the possibility of corruption.

Do Make Say Think 02-04-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellogs (Post 59026475)
But then that's no fun....

Integrity in sports isn't fun?

Betting on sporting events is awful, gambling in general is such a huge waste of money and an invitation for organized crime.
I'm ok with casinos but any in other kinds of gambling the negatives outweigh the positives by a fairly large margin

2CHAINZ 02-04-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holmes (Post 59033219)
The officiating is so bad in the NHL that you have to wonder the same thing about league directives that "Series X" needs to go 7, and "Team X" should win.

Look how the Devils hooked, held & interfered their way to multiple Cup victories. I remember John Madden kneeling on Alfredsson's chest, pinning him down and keeping him there well behind the play, then Alfie get's up, gives him a little shot and gets two minutes for whatever.

Anytime money is in the equation there is the possibility of corruption.

The saddest and truest fact about humanity, we are so corrupt and the worst part is it's all over paper that humans created not even some elixir that grants you immortality and xcaliber to help you the rule the world. Nope .... just money.

2CHAINZ 02-04-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Guy (Post 59034461)
Integrity in sports isn't fun?

Betting on sporting events is awful, gambling in general is such a huge waste of money and an invitation for organized crime.
I'm ok with casinos but any in other kinds of gambling the negatives outweigh the positives by a fairly large margin

Casino's are better than sports gambling ? You do realize mathematically the odds in sports betting are so much better than anything vs the house. I am in no way an advocate for gambling but just curious why casinos are ok ?

Tundraman 02-04-2013 05:30 PM

NHL refs have too much power to decide a game by ignoring or making calls at key times. At the very least, no ref should be able to waive or allow a goal without off-ice review. I'm not saying it was deliberate but that call in Mtl stunk badly. The NHL is hurting its own credibility by not publicly acknowledging the error and reprimanding the ref.

Kellogs 02-04-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Guy (Post 59034461)
Integrity in sports isn't fun?

Betting on sporting events is awful, gambling in general is such a huge waste of money and an invitation for organized crime.
I'm ok with casinos but any in other kinds of gambling the negatives outweigh the positives by a fairly large margin

I was being facetious :nod:

GK 02-04-2013 06:12 PM

1) Damn you Kellogs, that's my avvy!!!


2) Do you guys think that this stuff is seriously happening here? I don't mean that in the "if you think it's happening here, you're an idiot" argument. I mean that do you guys think that there is a possibility that that kind of **** happens in the NHL? It seems likely a lot of the time.

jordan7hm 02-04-2013 08:12 PM

Read The Fix by Declan Hill.

Accept the reality that there are almost certainly hockey games being fixed. There is far too much money at stake for there not to be.

Or plug your ears and shut your eyes. Like with PEDs.

White Goodman 02-04-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GK (Post 59039711)
1) Damn you Kellogs, that's my avvy!!!

Seniority.

2008 vs 2010.

ReginKarlssonLehner 02-04-2013 11:12 PM

Damn, bro. My boys gettin busted.

#FreeDaMandems #Freeup


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.