HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   If you were a GM, would you spend No1 overall pick for a russian prospect? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1341371)

Chukcha 02-04-2013 12:13 PM

If you were a GM, would you spend No1 overall pick for a russian prospect?
 
If this prospect is a Malkin-level player and playing in the KHL with doubtful entering to the NHL in the nearest future?

Laino 02-04-2013 12:16 PM

He could be Canadian, if it's doubtful he'll come over I wouldn't take him. If he'll come over in 3-5 years and be a Malkin level player on an ELC for his almost prime years I'd take him and wait.

Brewsky 02-04-2013 12:18 PM

Depends who the rest of the draft class is.

Elever 02-04-2013 12:18 PM

Depends on the kid but it's wiser to spend a no1 pick on a fwd than a dman even if he is Seth Jones imo (unless you're the Edmonton Oilers or someone, if they land another no1 then they need to draft a damn dman).

Vankiller Whale 02-04-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloparren (Post 59024417)
Depends on the kid but it's wiser to spend a no1 pick on a fwd than a dman even if he is Seth Jones imo (unless you're the Edmonton Oilers or someone, if they land another no1 then they need to draft a damn dman).

I agree with this, unless there's a noticeable gap between #1 and #2(as there was in 2012).

Mouse21* 02-04-2013 12:40 PM

depends on if he played all his junior in canada, which he probably would have if hes #1 overall.

depends on the guys attitude obviously.

CREW99AW 02-04-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chukcha (Post 59024153)
If this prospect is a Malkin-level player and playing in the KHL with doubtful entering to the NHL in the nearest future?

I argued against the NYI taking a Russian early in last season's draft. If had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the KHL being able to offer big contracts. Look at the Radulov situation..he's reportedly making $9m per in the KHL.


The KHL only backed off it's vow to allow players with NHL contracts, to play in the KHL, after stars like Malkin/Ovie/Kovachuk rejected their offers and came back to the NHL.

KA BLAMO 02-04-2013 01:01 PM

I'd consider trading down a couple spots provided that I still have a top 5 pick and have acquire an additional asset.

HockeyThoughts 02-04-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebolarama (Post 59026915)
I'd consider trading down a couple spots provided that I still have a top 5 pick and have acquire an additional asset.

So you'd trade down your 1st overall Alexander Ovechkin/Evgeni Malkin Russian pick for 5th overall Blake Wheeler and say, 10th overall Boris Valabik..

Great asset management! :handclap:

Allen Degenerate 02-04-2013 01:07 PM

If he's a Malkin level player, I'd take him. Odds are, the KHL couldn't offer much that the NHL couldn't, in this case. He'd make as much as he wanted.

HockeyThoughts 02-04-2013 01:09 PM

In each and every draft, you draft BEST PICK AVAILABLE.

I ignore nationality, my organizational strengths/weaknesses..etc and draft the best player based on their size, skill, and hockey acumen. If I deem a Russian player to be the best player in any given draft, I would draft them.

Contrary to popular belief, Russians are human beings too. Getting drafted #1 overall in an NHL Entry Draft is an outstanding achievement, even for a Russian. Someone tell me how many players have been drafted 1st overall and decided not to play in the NHL.. I think your list will look a lot like this:
















nothing.

Atas2000 02-04-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 59026513)
I argued against the NYI taking a Russian early in last season's draft. If had nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the KHL being able to offer big contracts. Look at the Radulov situation..he's reportedly making $9m per in the KHL.


The KHL only backed off it's vow to allow players with NHL contracts, to play in the KHL, after stars like Malkin/Ovie/Kovachuk rejected their offers and came back to the NHL.

9 Million is a bad joke. Nobody earns that much in the KHL.

And the rest is complete nonsense too. The KHL NEVER tried to keep the NHLers and ALWAYS said they would go as soon as the lockout ends.

Atas2000 02-04-2013 01:20 PM

btw. The Oilers took Yak first. He leads them in goals. What's the big problem?

HockeyThoughts 02-04-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atas2000 (Post 59027889)
9 Million is a bad joke. Nobody earns that much in the KHL.

And the rest is complete nonsense too. The KHL NEVER tried to keep the NHLers and ALWAYS said they would go as soon as the lockout ends.

People don't seem to understand the negotiation practice known as "posturing." :shakehead

Soundgarden 02-04-2013 01:21 PM

I doubt we ever pick a Russian again since what happened with Radulov, but if he's as talented as Malkin we pick him talk about his intentions and maybe trade him to the highest bidder. Or just pic the 2nd best player depending on how far apart they are.

HockeyThoughts 02-04-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 59028101)
I doubt we ever pick a Russian again since what happened with Radulov, but if he's as talented as Malkin we pick him talk about his intentions and maybe trade him to the highest bidder. Or just pic the 2nd best player depending on how far apart they are.

Nail Yakupov (a Russian) was literally JUST drafted in the most recently held NHL Entry Draft :help:

Arpeggio 02-04-2013 01:22 PM

If it's doubtful that he comes over, like 80%, then no I wouldn't take him. Why would anyone? It's the same as if a player said he will refuse to play for my team, I'm not just gonna waste an asset.

Soundgarden 02-04-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts (Post 59028143)
Nail Yakupov (a Russian) was literally JUST drafted in the most recently held NHL Entry Draft :help:

To a team that doesn't, to my knowledge, have any problems with Russians. There is a reason Nashville hasn't drafted one since Radulov, though we haven't had a top ten pick in a while so who's to say we wouldn't draft the bpa.

TorstenFrings 02-04-2013 01:28 PM

You obviously talk to him and his people and if from that you get the impression he isn`t likely to come over for whatever reason, no, you do not waste a #1 pick on him unless it is the kind of draft where your consensus #2 pick is lightyears behind JVR-style. Probably not even then.
If it is just the usual "ohohoh, he is a Russian" kind of doubt, you always always take a Malkin-level player. Pretty much zero chance of having two of those in a draft class.

EchoesoftheEighties 02-04-2013 01:29 PM

If he's unlikely to play then no. Otherwise BPA every time.

NewFang 02-04-2013 01:30 PM

Kind of a loaded question. If it's "doubtful" that he'll come over from any league then no i would not use my first overall pick. But the decision would have nothing to do with him being Russian.

Viqsi 02-04-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts (Post 59028143)
Nail Yakupov (a Russian) was literally JUST drafted in the most recently held NHL Entry Draft :help:

Yakupov was drafted by Nashville?! How have I not heard of this?!
;)


In our case, we'd evaluate based on the player's abilities and whether or not he's likely to come over to the NHL. Whether or not he happens to be a Russian citizen matters very little.

Yes, even after Filatov and Zherdev. We do have the most Russians on our team in the NHL last I checked (Anisimov, Tyutin, Nikitin, and Bobrovsky), so it's not a nationality thing.

Crede777 02-04-2013 01:32 PM

I don't think Columbus would. Howson wasn't going to take Yakupov or Grigorenko according to the Dispatch right before the draft. If Murray was taken 1st overall, Howson was going to trade down and pick up a North American defenseman or someone like Forsberg, maybe Galchenyuk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Columbus Dispatch
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson would have traded the No. 2 overall pick - in a heartbeat - if the Edmonton Oilers selected defenseman Ryan Murray and allowed left winger Nail Yakupov to fall into the Blue Jackets' lap.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...ed-murray.html

billybudd 02-04-2013 01:32 PM

Depends on the guy. If he's making noise like Kuznetsov about being indifferent to crossing the ocean, then no, I wouldn't spend a 1st overall on him. But someone like Yakupov never gave the same signals, so I wouldn't bat an eyelash about picking him, Russian or not.

magic school bus 02-04-2013 01:32 PM

I would ice a team full of Russians and probably win the Cup rather easily. Truly shocked no team has attempted this considering how discounted they've become due to the "Russian Factor" BS.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.