HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Is the Super Bowl More Popular than the Stanley Cup in Canada? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1341561)

Fire Lindy 02-04-2013 04:11 PM

Is the Super Bowl More Popular than the Stanley Cup in Canada?
 
I don't know what the ratings are yet for Canada, but last year 8.15 million watched the Superbowl, and I'd bet it went up this year again. The Devils/Kings series averaged 2.67 million viewers in Canada last Stanley cup. Obviously, numbers are bigger if a Canadian team is involved, but the NFL doesn't even have a Canadian team.

I realize it's hard to compare since the Super Bowl is only one game, but would a one game series between the Kings and Devils draw that much more? Would it even draw 8 million?

You can look at the Canada/US Olympic final which I believe was watched by around 16 million Canadians, but what would the Superbowl ratings be if Toronto had a NFL team and was in the Superbowl? I'd bet it would be close to those Olympic ratings.

I'm not trying to say football is more popular in Canada than hockey, I get that the Superbowl is more of an event to get together with friends and all that, but I still found it amazing how many Canadians watch.

Will wait for Canadian ratings are out, but would anyone be surprised if it was 10 million or so that watched this year?

CBJWennberg10 02-04-2013 04:14 PM

Pretty sure the SuperBowl is the most dominant and most watched sporting event in North America. Maybe even the world. So yes

No Fun Shogun 02-04-2013 04:16 PM

If memory serves, both the Super Bowl and the Grey Cup usually get better ratings than single SCF games, but overall the NHL is obviously still more popular than the NFL or CFL.

A lot easier to plan around watching a one-off event versus 4-7 games, after all.

Warden of the North 02-04-2013 04:21 PM

Probably. But 9/10 Canadians who watch the Super Bowl couldnt even tell you the names of either quarterback. They're just there for the party.

The other factor is its a set time and place. Where as the Finals is a series that could end on a Wednesday.

Ugmo 02-04-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 59037155)
Pretty sure the SuperBowl is the most dominant and most watched sporting event in North America. Maybe even the world. So yes

Not even close. Dwarfed by the World Cup final.

scotchex 02-04-2013 04:27 PM

If they had Beyonce put on a stage show during intermission they could probably double the ratings.

Kshahdoo 02-04-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugmo (Post 59037497)
Not even close. Dwarfed by the World Cup final.

I guess Champions League's final is more popular as well.

Winnipeg Jets 02-04-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre (Post 59037495)
Probably. But 9/10 Canadians who watch the Super Bowl couldnt even tell you the names of either quarterback. They're just there for the party.

The other factor is its a set time and place. Where as the Finals is a series that could end on a Wednesday.

Pretty much exactly this.

Analyzer* 02-04-2013 04:33 PM

Probably.

I don't think most Canadians have a favourite team until the Super Bowl game comes around.

Vikes88 02-04-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 59037223)
If memory serves, both the Super Bowl and the Grey Cup usually get better ratings than single SCF games, but overall the NHL is obviously still more popular than the NFL or CFL.

A lot easier to plan around watching a one-off event versus 4-7 games, after all.

Bingo. I've missed Game 1 before and not been too worried about missing much. Not exactly an option with the Super Bowl.

Fire Lindy 02-04-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugmo (Post 59037497)
Not even close. Dwarfed by the World Cup final.

Yep, believe the world cup final was watched by over a billion people or something ridiculous.

Hockey Nightmare 02-04-2013 04:39 PM

People tune in for the ctv ads.

Brewsky 02-04-2013 04:45 PM

Wait until Toronto hits a Stanley Cup final, I got friends in other cities that say they would watch that as if it was their own team just because it'll be like watching history...the Leafs...contending for a cup? Got to see it.

GordieHoweHatTrick 02-04-2013 05:00 PM

Without a doubt, although this season's super bowl was a disaster.

TheOriginalSilf* 02-04-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewsky (Post 59038539)
Wait until Toronto hits a Stanley Cup final, I got friends in other cities that say they would watch that as if it was their own team just because it'll be like watching history...the Leafs...contending for a cup? Got to see it.

Will they even be alive to see it?

:sarcasm:

Joe MacMillan 02-04-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kshahdoo (Post 59037839)
I guess Champions League's final is more popular as well.

I believe the Super Bowl beats the CL final narrowly in the viewership ratings. Globally that is, not in Europe where the CL final is by far the most watched annual sporting event.

silvercanuck 02-04-2013 05:15 PM

For many people the actual football game is secondary. A lot of people watch the Superbowl for the half time show and the ads. If we want to gauge the popularity of the NFL we should compare some of the other games. I'm pretty sure that the eastern or western final games didn't draw close to 8 million in Canada.

Nalens Oga 02-04-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kshahdoo (Post 59037839)
I guess Champions League's final is more popular as well.

Possibly also the cricket World Cup final especially if the South Asian countries are playing (India has 1 B+) and I've also heard the Rugby World Cup final in the past along with some possible olympic events.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Ones (Post 59038277)
People tune in for the ctv ads.

Actually if you live along the US border then in many Canadian cities, you can receive NBC for free with a decent OTA antenna even if it's an indoor one like the Terk HDTVa assuming the station is within 60-70 miles of your home and the weather's not bad.

Was working for me yesterday though I wanted to watch the US version of Sherlock on afterwards, the Superbowl commercials are all on youtube anyways.

Fire Lindy 02-04-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick (Post 59039231)
Without a doubt, although this season's super bowl was a disaster.

True, I initially heard the ratings beat out last years, but now the reports show 3 million less watched in the USA. Not sure if the blackout affected ratings.

Do Make Say Think 02-04-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick (Post 59039231)
Without a doubt, although this season's super bowl was a disaster.

How was it a disaster?

Cinderella run with an epic conclusion: sounds great to me

IU Hawks fan 02-04-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvercanuck (Post 59039855)
For many people the actual football game is secondary. A lot of people watch the Superbowl for the half time show and the ads. If we want to gauge the popularity of the NFL we should compare some of the other games. I'm pretty sure that the eastern or western final games didn't draw close to 8 million in Canada.

Well, the NFL doesn't have Eastern or Western Conferences, so of course it didn't ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloparren (Post 59039899)
Actually if you live along the US border then in many Canadian cities, you can receive NBC for free with a decent OTA antenna even if it's an indoor one like the Terk HDTVa assuming the station is within 60-70 miles of your home and the weather's not bad.

Too bad NBC didn't have the game.

Fire Lindy 02-04-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Guy (Post 59039931)
How was it a disaster?

Cinderella run with an epic conclusion: sounds great to me

There was a 34 minute power outage, that is pretty disastrous. Especially when you consider it happened when the game wasn't close at all, and most assumed the game was pretty much over.

Nalens Oga 02-04-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 59040203)
Too bad NBC didn't have the game.

CBS, what I meant.....I pick up CBS/CW/NBC/PBS/ABC from the GTA with an indoor antenna, and some other random ones.

Fox is the only one I don't get but people with outdoor antenna's do.

Those channels usually come on cable/satellite to but I'm surprised by the amount of people here who don't understand that you can get HD with an antenna, the word seems outdated to them.

Do Make Say Think 02-04-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Lindy (Post 59040283)
There was a 34 minute power outage, that is pretty disastrous. Especially when you consider it happened when the game wasn't close at all, and most assumed the game was pretty much over.

Oh wow, that's pretty crazy did not know about the power outage (did not watch the game)

Brodie 02-04-2013 05:50 PM

The NFL obfuscates things by reporting potential viewership as opposed to actual viewership. The game starts anywhere between midnight and 8 am in most of the world and yet they want to pretend a billion people are watching.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.