HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Assessing RNH season so far (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1342095)

ViD 02-05-2013 09:17 AM

Assessing RNH season so far

What are your thoughts on his season so far? He's playing first line minutes averaging over 20 mins per game , yet he's still goalless and has only 5 assists. He's been below average on faceoffs as well.

From what I've seen he's playing decent, but just can't put it in the net

Ogopogo* 02-05-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViD (Post 59081123)
What are your thoughts on his season so far? He's playing first line minutes averaging over 20 mins per game , yet he's still goalless and has only 5 assists. He's been below average on faceoffs as well.

From what I've seen he's playing decent, but just can't put it in the net

He is playing decent but, not as well as I hoped for. I think the kid has some growing and maturing to do still. Good player and will be a very good one for a long time.

Taylor Hall, on the other hand, is starting to blossom into the player the Oilers hoped they drafted. Great speed, beating defenders - he is getting close to becoming one of the league's premier wingers. Perhaps before this season is done he may be there - or perhaps next season.

Mr Writer 02-05-2013 09:25 AM

Not nearly as well as I expected, although he's not playing poorly, I hoped he would be able to avoid the dreaded sophomore jinx. It seems more than ever rookies come in to the league and have instant success, and then for whatever reason struggle for a year or two afterwards, Mason in Columbus, Myers in Buffalo, Skinner in Carolina etc...'

He's a smart player, RNH will figure it out. Not worried. )))

Kesler2Kesler 02-05-2013 09:27 AM

The whole kids line hasn't really started running at 100% yet, at least it looks that way in the games I've watched, and that scares me because the oilers are still winning games. When they start clicking the oilers are going to be good, probably better than most people expected.

toewsintangibles 02-05-2013 09:31 AM

His offensive zone starts dropped from 63% to 53%.. he isn't playing in as much of a coddled role as last year and he's struggling a bit to keep up his pace from last season because of it

Johnny Bravo 02-05-2013 09:32 AM

Nuge is putting snakebit to a new level. He'll start burning it up though.

ViD 02-05-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler (Post 59081331)
The whole kids line hasn't really started running at 100% yet, at least it looks that way in the games I've watched, and that scares me because the oilers are still winning games. When they start clicking the oilers are going to be good, probably better than most people expected.

Not surprising , but the Oilers have the best top 6 in terms of potential. They are already amongst the best top 6 with the pure offensive skill

w e l o s t b o y s 02-05-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Writer (Post 59081307)
Not nearly as well as I expected, although he's not playing poorly, I hoped he would be able to avoid the dreaded sophomore jinx. It seems more than ever rookies come in to the league and have instant success, and then for whatever reason struggle for a year or two afterwards, Mason in Columbus, Myers in Buffalo, Skinner in Carolina etc...'

He's a smart player, RNH will figure it out. Not worried. )))

Getting concussed mid-season isn't really a slump

Anth93 02-05-2013 09:38 AM

I'm always disappointed with him. The other three, jump out and actually look the part of future stars and in Hall/Eberle's case, they already are.

He's young and has to really mature still, but his game just looks flat to me.

Anth93 02-05-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall (Post 59081577)

Skinner looked phenomenal last night. He put everyone on the ice to shame.

Mr Writer 02-05-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall (Post 59081577)

Thanks for the input, but up until he suffered the concussion his performance didn't match his rookie year. That was my point. He missed what, 16 games due to the concussion?

PumpkinBomb 02-05-2013 09:47 AM

Given the minutes he's playing:1st line, unsheltered and only has 2 ES GA so far, and is +1. I think he's actually having the best 2nd season as a center since Crosby/Malkin.

Some people might point to couture's softmore 65 point season. But i felt those were sheltered similar to RNH last year.

You may see his production go down this year, but he's actually becoming a much more complete player.

Also some may say "Majority of his starts are in the offensive zone." This is somewhat true, but it has more to do with minutes played. Ie.) he's seeing the same EV Strength D-zone starts as any other Oiler center, and his extra offensive starts are a result of the oilers putting their best line out to tie games up etc.

His faceoffs are actually pretty good. A few games ago he went 100% (i think 10/10) against Mike Richards.

Also he's still getting a lot of chances. If the chances weren't there i might be a little more worried, but for all the above reasons I think he'll be great.

Turrican* 02-05-2013 09:48 AM

Definitely trying to become a two way player.
I have no complaints... The points will come. Backchecks like crazy.

umwoz 02-05-2013 09:54 AM

I've only watched 2 EDM games, but he seemed effective in both. Creating opportunities, just not to the same level he was last year. Seemed a little tentative to shoot as well which may have let defenders key in on his passes.

All speculation, since I've seen 2 games. Although neither had me worried about him.

Brewsky 02-05-2013 10:16 AM

Sophomore slump, The Yakupov is stealing his shine.

THE YAK says know your role and shut your mouth, before he celebrates a line change like he just won the Stanley Cup.

Hey I saw Nail at the Starbucks the other day, when he got his coffee he slid on his knees all the way to the exit door while screaming "**** THE DEKAF".

KreiMeARiver* 02-05-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth93 (Post 59081597)
I'm always disappointed with him. The other three, jump out and actually look the part of future stars and in Hall/Eberle's case, they already are.

You're always disappointed with a 20 year old who hasn't even played 82 games in his career?

Oh by the way, the 19 year old would have one the Calder Trophy, had he not suffered a concussion half-way through the year.

Tell me how Eberle did at his age?

Your post is ridiculous

Toydarian 02-05-2013 10:57 AM

Some fans speculate RNH might be injured. He hasn't looked quite right this season. Nevertheless, I feel he's made a tremendous effort to improve his defensive game and awareness. It is only 9 games into the season and the Oilers in general have struggled to score goals. We shall see though.

It is interesting that many of last seasons top rookies are having a rough start to the season.

vanwest 02-05-2013 11:01 AM

Sophomore slump. We see players take a step back after a great rookie year all of the time. He'll improve but this may be a tougher year for him.

roboninja 02-05-2013 11:03 AM

Yeah, he has not been great. A pretty chaotic year overall for him, though. That along with the usual sophmore slump has me unworried.

GrandChelems 02-05-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth93 (Post 59081597)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver (Post 59083105)
You're always disappointed with a 20 year old who hasn't even played 82 games in his career?

Oh by the way, the 19 year old would have one the Calder Trophy, had he not suffered a concussion half-way through the year.

Tell me how Eberle did at his age?

Your post is ridiculous

No sir, your post is ridiculous. What do you think the NHL is, an experimental development league? We think he is supposed to be good at some time in the future so we can't possibly be disappointed with his play in the present?

Reign Nateo 02-05-2013 11:05 AM

I think it's a case of physical development personally. He still looks like the smallest, most frail player out there. He's still a wisp. That will change though and I think we'll see some great things once he does mature a bit physically. He's got tremendous hands and hockey sense... Now if only he could give a bit of that hockey sense to Taylor Hall...

Lessy 02-05-2013 11:07 AM

He hasn't been very good at all but I'm not worried. He's had awful puck luck.

Also easy to forget that in a month and a half span prior to the NHL season he's been in Oklahoma City, Calgary, Russia then Edmonton. I was one of the few Oiler fans hesitant about him going to the WJC and I honestly feel like he might be run down.

S E P H 02-05-2013 11:12 AM

How many of those points came on the PP as well?

Also in the four (more like 3 :laugh:) games Landeskog has played, he only looked fantastic in one of them against Columbus.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 02-05-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Writer (Post 59081755)
Thanks for the input, but up until he suffered the concussion his performance didn't match his rookie year. That was my point. He missed what, 16 games due to the concussion?

His production was close to what Seguin's was last season before the concussion.

DuckJet 02-05-2013 11:32 AM

Bust. Trade him :sarcasm: