HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Why do the Blues play Langenbrunner (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1342299)

STL Hockey* 02-05-2013 01:45 PM

Why do the Blues play Langenbrunner
 
Im sorry but this guy is done. All he does is hustle around the ice, you can get the same out of Reaves or Schwartz which gives them more experience and gives Schwartz a better chance of getting it going. I dont understand why hes on the club and yes save me the "he brings experience BS" because thats fine and all but what do you call guys like

Jacks
Polak
Backes
McDonald
Nichol

etc

you only need a few guys with experience in the lineup...plain and simple guy is just dusty

MattyMo35 02-05-2013 02:30 PM

His scoring days are long gone, but he's still a decent defensive forward, and fills in on the PK fairly well. I'd rather have Reaves, but I would actually take Langs on the 4th line over Schwartz. Schwartz is getting better defensively, but if he's going to be an effective player, he needs to be on the ice with talented line mates, which won't happen on the 4th line.

STL Hockey* 02-05-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyMo35 (Post 59098157)
His scoring days are long gone, but he's still a decent defensive forward, and fills in on the PK fairly well. I'd rather have Reaves, but I would actually take Langs on the 4th line over Schwartz. Schwartz is getting better defensively, but if he's going to be an effective player, he needs to be on the ice with talented line mates, which won't happen on the 4th line.

still him over langs anyway like i said they both are doing the same job right now just Schwartz has way more of a reason to be in than Langs

Twisted Blue 02-05-2013 05:01 PM

He is only averaging 9.5 minutes a game so it's not like he is taking up much ice time. Start Reaves, Dags, and Schwartz and use Langs to spell other players and keep as many legs fresh as possible.

underslept 02-05-2013 06:34 PM

I don't feel he's done, it's more of Hitchcock has to mess with the lineup to get him in and it's not paying off thus far. Taking Nichol out or moving Sobotka to center has diminished the 4th lines effectiveness. Langs isn't bad out there, but putting him in the lineup seems to have a ripple effect on the fourth line and our energy is not the same.

Unless someone's hurt or not playing well, I would like to see him in a suit.

GrandPapillon 02-06-2013 04:43 PM

Bigger issue

Blues record when D'Agostini plays 0-3.

He isn't good enough defensively or on the boards to play on the 4th line. He doesn't score enough or cycle well enough to play on a scoring line. He has no real role here.

Bluesman91 02-06-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandPapillon (Post 59177527)
Bigger issue

Blues record when D'Agostini plays 0-3.

He isn't good enough defensively or on the boards to play on the 4th line. He doesn't score enough or cycle well enough to play on a scoring line. He has no real role here.

It's not just Dags but Langs does need to just sit every game anyway. It's not gonna help having Schwartz play 4th line and it's not gonna help having Sobtoka 3rd line (I love his effort but playing with already 2 streaky players is just a bad combo). Keep the lines as they were the beginning of the season.


Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Bergy-Stew
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

Cole/Redden-Pie
Jax-Shatty
Russell-Polak

Dump Langs and trade Dags or keep him in the pressbox until someone in the top 9 gets injured or needs a rest. Let some kids from Peoria get a chance if someone gets injured or needs a rest since they can't develop properly down there anyway.

GrandPapillon 02-06-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman91 (Post 59177953)
It's not just Dags but Langs does need to just sit every game anyway. It's not gonna help having Schwartz play 4th line and it's not gonna help having Sobtoka 3rd line (I love his effort but playing with already 2 streaky players is just a bad combo). Keep the lines as they were the beginning of the season.


Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Bergy-Stew
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

Cole/Redden-Pie
Jax-Shatty
Russell-Polak

Dump Langs and trade Dags or keep him in the pressbox until someone in the top 9 gets injured or needs a rest. Let some kids from Peoria get a chance if someone gets injured or needs a rest since they can't develop properly down there anyway.


I think Steen is struggling due to playing center. I thought Schwartz looked a lot better centering the 4th line than he had at any other point this season. I would flip flop them and try totally different lines.

AMac Berglund Tarasenko
Perron Schwartz Oshie
Steen Backes Stewart


Steen and Backes should be able to cover for Stewart's defensive shortcomings and have shown chemistry together in the past. Oshie and Perron play well together, and if Schwartz' biggest fault is being too passive, he can afford to be on that line as Oshie and PErron will handle the puck plenty. That top line would be offensive dynamite.

Big Al 2 02-06-2013 05:00 PM

I think Reaves is a better hockey player than people give him credit for. I want him on the ice every game, there's no way he needs to rest playing 4th line minutes.

Bluesman91 02-06-2013 05:02 PM

How would you feel about

Perron-Berglund-tarasenko
(Lacks defesinve game mroe than our others but would be an offensive powerhouse and Berglund could possibly be turned into the giant playmaking center we need, I've seen flashes and eyah he won't be Crosby or Thornton esque but #2 Playmaking C.)


Steen-Backes-Oshie
(We all saw what this line could accomplish last year)


Schwartz-AMAC-Stew
(3rd line getting 3rd line minutes and bumped up more than your average 3rd line. Amac and Stew are both offensively gifted and Schwartz has shown his hockey IQ skills as well. Amac already acts as a center for some faceoffs and has played center in the past but would ultimately be a better idea than Steen playing 3rd line C.)

BadgersandBlues 02-06-2013 07:44 PM

I understand the need to keep players fresh, but I don't like it when we aren't icing what I consider to be our "best" line-up, which was our opening night line-up with the switch of Redden for Cole.

I said it during Lang's first game, and I have yet to see anything in the other 2-3 games he's played that make me want to recant this statement: He's old. He's slow. He's not doing anything someone else on our bench could be doing better. He doesn't look as hungry as Reaves does, not to mention Porter. We need a 4th line we can depend on to generate energy and be defensively responsible, we don't need to waste spots for PK specialist fill-ins and the like. As long as Sobotka/Reaves/Nichol/Porter are available, three of those four should be playing over Langs.

I get that he's got experience, and he was instrumental in our coaching change/depth last year, but this year, we just don't need him anymore. Move him for a draft pick and be done with it, or stick him in the pressbox and let him know that at this point he's pretty much an assistant coach.

LandofLincoln 02-06-2013 07:47 PM

Maybe they are hoping or believing that he is filling seats.

frostyflo 02-07-2013 02:14 AM

I remember we had pretty much the same debate last season.
There was a vet debate aswell:
Arnott was the good one, decent offense and still a good shot while Langs was the useless plug
But later in the season things changed completely, especially in the POs Langs was a warrior and pretty good overall.
Fact is Reaves has a dangerous job and I don't mind having Langs around to give him some rest, just not on a regular base.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandofLincoln (Post 59188659)
Maybe they are hoping or believing that he is filling seats.

I really, REALLY doubt that is the reason

dRange44 02-07-2013 02:59 AM

He's definitely done. I was one of the few people on this forum who didn't understand why the Blues wanted to resign him.

JustOneB4IDie 02-07-2013 05:22 AM

Hitchcock views Langenbrunner as a coach on the ice, and they go way back to when both were in Dallas I'll add. However, It's the end of the line IMO

PerryTurnbullfan 02-07-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 (Post 59212259)
Hitchcock views Langenbrunner as a coach on the ice, and they go way back to when both were in Dallas I'll add. However, It's the end of the line IMO

What he said... He's suppose to just be in the rafters with a suit on, however play justifies him suiting up.

frostyflo 02-07-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dRange44 (Post 59211321)
He's definitely done. I was one of the few people on this forum who didn't understand why the Blues wanted to resign him.

Not a big fan of him by myself but to defend the management they didn't know if Frank would come over or not and couldn't know that Schwartz makes the team out of camp

So replace those 2 with Sobotka and Dags in the top9 and play Porter-Nichol-Reaves on the 4th...who is your next call-up? Where is the depth that made us so successful last year?
I still think he's an ok signing

STEVIE RAY BLUES 02-07-2013 08:16 AM

I agree with most of what has been said here. Langs is done. I actually wanted them to bring back Arnott rather than him due to his heavy shot and overall size but apparently Jason screwed that up so resigning Langs didn't make me upset at the time. Watching him play instead of Reaves or even Dags makes me upset!

sh724 02-07-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostyflo (Post 59214157)
Not a big fan of him by myself but to defend the management they didn't know if Frank would come over or not and couldn't know that Schwartz makes the team out of camp

So replace those 2 with Sobotka and Dags in the top9 and play Porter-Nichol-Reaves on the 4th...who is your next call-up? Where is the depth that made us so successful last year?
I still think he's an ok signing

Tarasenko announced on June 2nd 2012 he was coming to STL.

frostyflo 02-07-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh724 (Post 59224073)
Tarasenko announced on June 2nd 2012 he was coming to STL.

oops, sorry. it seemed to take sooo long till he finally signed


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.