HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   All things PK Subban (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1342353)

PricePkPatch 02-05-2013 02:39 PM

All things PK Subban

Since the old threads about PK Subban have been locked down, I was hoping we could start a new thread series about our favorite defenseman (for me anyway).

I just heard Darren Dreger on TSN 690 podcast mentioning that PK Subban might be considered, one day down the road, as a potential captain for the team. I was wondering what you thought of that; if the kid has the (still unrefined) potential to be a good leader?

Blind Gardien 02-05-2013 03:21 PM

For me, I'd say this is the Habs board, and PK is a big part of the Habs, and depending on what things are going on, you wouldn't need to have one catch-all PK Subban thread. Maybe an "all PK faux-drama thread" or something, to catch all the crap, but he could still have other separate threads for other feats or news items relating to him. :dunno:

PricePkPatch 02-05-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 59100869)
For me, I'd say this is the Habs board, and PK is a big part of the Habs, and depending on what things are going on, you wouldn't need to have one catch-all PK Subban thread. Maybe an "all PK faux-drama thread" or something, to catch all the crap, but he could still have other separate threads for other feats or news items relating to him. :dunno:

Fair enough. It's just I wanted to discuss what I heard on the radio, but I did't think it would warrant a thread of its own.

So, what do you think? :naughty:

peate 02-05-2013 03:38 PM

PK is a very intelligent, polite and well spoken young man. Has great PR skills as seen on his TV appearances and I'd have no problem at all if he was one day named captain of The Montreal Canadiens. Just needs to learn some Franšais and he's well on his way to achieve this.

PJ stock, Don Cherry and all other haters can GTFO.

Out East 02-05-2013 03:45 PM

I am not a visible minority but am very much a minority for other reasons. I work in the public sector in an organization that groups together individuals from about 20 countries. I say this to say I have some experience with multiculturalism and group dynamics. PK Subban is the victim in this drama. He is a boisterous black man playing an anglosaxon white man's game. Look no further than Don Cherry who harps on the Euros and Russians and basically anyone who isn't Canadian (read anglosaxon white Canadian). Remember Darren Pang comparing Subban to another young dman and saying the other guy plays the game the "white way" and then back pedaled and said he meant the "right" way. Call it what you want Darren the statement doesn't even make sense. Watch football. Who are the guys doing the dances in the end zone? It's not racism to acknowledge the differences in cultures. I have spoken to black crowds and anglosaxon crowds. The difference is night and day. It does not make either group better or worse nor is the difference true for every person in the groups.

Take this triple low 5 business. That is nothing less than making Subban play the game the "white way". I admire PK for being humble enough and team centered enough to cooperate with no apparent anger or frustration.

I'm a white anglosaxon and some days that embarrasses me. Too many small minded and racist people to simple allow PK to be PK. I guarantee if the colour of the league changes enough there will be a lot more "flavour" and "colour" in the game and the Cherrys and Pangs of the world will have to slink off and let the multiculturalism thrive.

We all miss out when we try and form others into our cultural mould.

LyricalLyricist 02-05-2013 03:46 PM

Dunno if he can ever be captain. Surely assistant. I am more impressed with Pacioretty's dedication and professionalism these days. More reserved though.

JayKing 02-05-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PricePkPatch (Post 59098613)
Since the old threads about PK Subban have been locked down, I was hoping we could start a new thread series about our favorite defenseman (for me anyway).

I just heard Darren Dreger on TSN 690 podcast mentioning that PK Subban might be considered, one day down the road, as a potential captain for the team. I was wondering what you thought of that; if the kid has the (still unrefined) potential to be a good leader?

He has the work ethic, the dedication & passion to do it. He steps his game up whenever the team needs him to do so. He's very intelligent and well spoken. He's a fan favorite and knows how to handle the pressure. I'd love to see him wearing the C in a few years. Who knows I guess...

JSBach 02-05-2013 05:34 PM

I love PK and while the contract disputes were annoying, they didn't really alter my views on him. He's still the future of our defence corps and has that "spark" that Cup winners have. He's a keeper.

Roulin 02-05-2013 05:42 PM

I would stick with captains of the Koivu and Gionta mode. Players who are somewhat contemptuous of the media, who don't give reporters anything to chew on. Journalists who ask more questions about feelings than about hockey deserve as much.

PK would have to deal with even more crap than he does now - he's not aloof enough to go through the motions.

Bieber fever 02-05-2013 05:42 PM

Yes he can but not now.

Mr. Hab 02-05-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Out East (Post 59102107)
I am not a visible minority but am very much a minority for other reasons. I work in the public sector in an organization that groups together individuals from about 20 countries. I say this to say I have some experience with multiculturalism and group dynamics. PK Subban is the victim in this drama. He is a boisterous black man playing an anglosaxon white man's game. Look no further than Don Cherry who harps on the Euros and Russians and basically anyone who isn't Canadian (read anglosaxon white Canadian). Remember Darren Pang comparing Subban to another young dman and saying the other guy plays the game the "white way" and then back pedaled and said he meant the "right" way. Call it what you want Darren the statement doesn't even make sense. Watch football. Who are the guys doing the dances in the end zone? It's not racism to acknowledge the differences in cultures. I have spoken to black crowds and anglosaxon crowds. The difference is night and day. It does not make either group better or worse nor is the difference true for every person in the groups.

Take this triple low 5 business. That is nothing less than making Subban play the game the "white way". I admire PK for being humble enough and team centered enough to cooperate with no apparent anger or frustration.

I'm a white anglosaxon and some days that embarrasses me. Too many small minded and racist people to simple allow PK to be PK. I guarantee if the colour of the league changes enough there will be a lot more "flavour" and "colour" in the game and the Cherrys and Pangs of the world will have to slink off and let the multiculturalism thrive.

We all miss out when we try and form others into our cultural mould.

Liked reading your post:handclap:

Subban is part of a ''white'' club now (the NHL).
Just like a golf membership...lots of unwritten ''white'' rules.

Stock and Cherry will never say ''Subban is too NBA or too NFL for our NHL...and this is why we don't like Subban''.
And you know that if you tell Cherry or Stock that they probably come from black ancestors from 1000 or 2000 years ago...they'd say something racist about that! (just ignorance).

Cherry is always warning Subban that players will one day get him...he's basically calling for players to go for Subban and take him out. He calls Subban arrogant and a show-off... Subban can be pretty classy compared to Cherry (Cherry is the macho, arrogant loud-mouth). And yes...if Subban is sometimes arrogant...he has time to mature and/but...I still think Subban should be allowed to be himself. NHL culture is what? Cherry hockey? Stock hockey?

Then again...Avery was kicked out of the NHL for being himself (and Avery isn't black). I know everyone hated Avery or loved hating him...I thought he was different and entertaining. Sort of a McEnroe of tennis...a rebel. I thought it was funny when Avery held the blade of his stick to Brodeur's eye level! He wasn't hurting anyone...he was just being annoying and it really worked on Brodeur! NHL had to make a new rule for that!). Liked it 'cause I never saw that before! Where is Avery now?