HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Greg Millen is so brutal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1342499)

Goonface2k14 02-05-2013 07:17 PM

Greg Millen is so brutal

I've been watching the Leafs (and hockey in general) since the mid eighties, and I've never heard a more incompetent colour commentator than Greg Millen. I'm sure this has been posted before. His "analysis" on last nights disallowed goal on Bozak was nauseating. Anyone else notice that? First, in his tough guy no-nonsense tone of voice he say "oh yeah, that's a good goal, no doubt about it". Then he says, "no kicking motion" (when, in my opinion, clearly Bozak moved his back skate towards the net and that caused the puck to go into the net). Then he says it hit Staal's skate, when clearly Staal's skate was nowhere near the puck. Still, replay after replay, he keeps saying "good goal". He even decided to change the subject and started talking about Bozaks faceoff abilities being so great because his dad told him to work on his faceoffs. so not only does he randomly change the subject, he has the most useless insight into it. Then the video review is taking longer than expected, so he starts to backtrack and then acknowledges that it could be a kicking motion. Not once does he admit his mistake about the puck hitting Staal's skate or not being kicked.

How do guys like this get colour jobs? I mean, the basic requirement of the job is to watch the play. He seems clueless every single replay. It's disgusting. Thank god for mute buttons.

The K Man 02-05-2013 07:31 PM

Completely agree, he's really been getting on my nerves lately.

corytrevor 02-05-2013 07:54 PM

Agreed. To be honest, I can't stand Joe Bowen either. I've been a Leafs fan since the mid '80s as well, but being from Nova Scotia, that meant CBC and TSN broadcasts. Don't think I ever heard Joe Bowen call a game until about 5 years ago when I first got GCL online. I'm in South Korea now and have GCL and usually watch the other team's feed because I can't stand Bowen and Millen. But the Washington guys are actually worse, so I'm stuck with them today. That mute button will probably be looking pretty good in an hour or so though...

HappyGilmourr 02-05-2013 08:04 PM

what Joe Bowen is great "hooollllllllllyyy Macinawwww"

corytrevor 02-05-2013 08:12 PM

To each his own, I guess

Number13 02-05-2013 08:13 PM

I've always had an irrational hate of Millen. He's not funny or witty despite constantly trying, and his commentary is useless.

Still love Bowen though, he has the odd senile moment, but no one gets me more excited for a play than he does. I can't deny that.

Smif 02-05-2013 08:21 PM

I'll take Millen any day of the week.

Reason: See "Hughson, Simpson, Healy" thread.

Jerkini 02-05-2013 08:38 PM

It was a big loss when Harry Neale abandoned us for Buffalo.

Dr.Funk 02-05-2013 08:40 PM

He's better than any of the **** that CBC throws out there.

Jerkini 02-05-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number13 (Post 59118219)
I've always had an irrational hate of Millen. He's not funny or witty despite constantly trying, and his commentary is useless.

Still love Bowen though, he has the odd senile moment, but no one gets me more excited for a play than he does. I can't deny that.

He doesn't have a very good rapport with Bowen. It's an awkward mess when Bowen is being a goofy idiot and Millen doesn't know how to respond.

Macoun4life 02-05-2013 08:44 PM

Millen seems like a really nice guy, but I agree he's pretty bad. If I hear anymore talk about a player's release I'm going to go insane. Millen is bandwagon reporter just like 99% of sports reporters. He was a terrible NHL goalie, so his insight lacks credibility in my opinion. He's not the worst ever, but he is twerpish.

Rockinz 02-05-2013 08:49 PM

he is still better than simpson... At least he isn't anti Leafs when we are up by 2/3 goals.

Number13 02-05-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 59122763)
He doesn't have a very good rapport with Bowen. It's an awkward mess when Bowen is being a goofy idiot and Millen doesn't know how to respond.

Bowen: Save scrivens!
Millen: Yup, scrivens is in the zone, his dad used to teach orphans how to play piano.
Bowen: Holy mackinaw millsy you're dumb and were a terrible goalie!
Millen: Yeah, I wasn't a very good goalie either!
Bowen and Millen: hahahah
Henny: Hey guys Reimer just farted on the bench, stay tuned for details.

corytrevor 02-05-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number13 (Post 59124013)
Millen: Yup, scrivens is in the zone, his dad used to teach orphans how to play piano.

Haha.

achtungbaby 02-05-2013 09:01 PM

Is there anyone we actually like? Or do we really believe there's an ulterior motive behind every broadcast team?

Smif 02-05-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achtungbaby (Post 59125913)
Is there anyone we actually like? Or do we really believe there's an ulterior motive behind every broadcast team?

This. It seems like people cry about everyone. There should be a rule: You can't criticize someone without saying who you like.

I despise Healy. I like everyone else that I can think of.

corytrevor 02-05-2013 09:13 PM

Fair Enough. I'd watch TSN cover a Leafs game any day. Or, for that matter, probably a third of the other teams' broadcasters. Despite Hughson and Simpson's anti-Leafs bias, I actually like listening to them when they're not doing Leaf games. But Healy is still an idiot no matter which teams are playing

Belak Attack 02-05-2013 09:17 PM

Absolutely love Joe Bowen, by far my favorite.

Millen just annoys me; he doesn't bring anything new or interesting to the table. He basically repeats things in a different manor, or talks about something completely irrelevant.

achtungbaby 02-05-2013 09:20 PM

chris cuthbert is my favorite, CBC was foolish to let him walk.

Cool Beans Man 02-05-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number13 (Post 59118219)

Meh I dunno. His analysis of Gustavsson's play a week ago one game was spot on IMO.

Patty Lee 02-05-2013 09:37 PM

isn't there already an announcer *****ing thread??

Winreims 02-05-2013 09:40 PM

I like Millen ... :|

Joe Pesci 02-05-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number13 (Post 59124013)

:biglaugh:

keonsbitterness 02-05-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achtungbaby (Post 59128671)
chris cuthbert is my favorite, CBC was foolish to let him walk.

That was during a CBC strike, and they had to cut costs. But I agree, huge mistake.

Winreims 02-05-2013 09:55 PM

Cuthbert is 100 times better than Hughson. That was a terrible decision by CBC