HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   News Article: Puck Possession and Kings Rank High (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1343211)

deeshamrock 02-06-2013 02:00 PM

Puck Possession and Kings Rank High

Interesting Articletoday about the Kings being tops again in the league in puck possession time and why that's a huge benefit.
The author went onto point out that the Kings were one of the leagues best last year and that is why he wasn't surprised at their post season success and how they made them a lethal opponent

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...bout-the-kings

From that Article:

So far this the Kings are attempting more than 58 percent of the shots when the game is close, and more than 60 percent when the game is tied. They are in the top-two in both areas. They were in the top-four in both areas last season.

Sometimes in the NHL a team can play well and not get the desired result (we saw it earlier this week with Calgary and Chicago), and the Kings have been better than their early season record indicates

kingsholygrail 02-06-2013 02:06 PM

I've honestly never been concerned about the possession all season. It just felt like the Kings would go down into the offensive zone, buzz around for a few minutes but get no goals, then have a defensive breakdown or turnover and find themselves in a hole.

Vamos Rafa 02-06-2013 02:12 PM

Even with our problems with finishing, this system is certainly a lot better than dump n chase.

kingsfan 02-06-2013 02:54 PM

Another reason why the panic patrol needs to sit down and relax. Sutter's got this.

SLang 02-06-2013 03:17 PM

Let's not forget the importance of the breakout. I really thought that's where the Kings truly shined in the playoffs last year. This year I've seen glimpses of it, but it hasn't been as consistent.

Good puck posession starts with an effective breakout.

etherialone 02-06-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks for putting that up D.

Interesting read.

Buddy The Elf 02-06-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLang (Post 59170573)
Let's not forget the importance of the breakout. I really thought that's where the Kings truly shined in the playoffs last year. This year I've seen glimpses of it, but it hasn't been as consistent.

I think people aslo forget how important a defense man like Willie Mitchell can be in starting that break out. He is good a recovering pucks and getting it moving the other way.

savemefromtears 02-06-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLang (Post 59170573)

Greener and Mitchell say hi.

:towel:

Brad Doty 02-06-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 59166901)
I've honestly never been concerned about the possession all season. It just felt like the Kings would go down into the offensive zone, buzz around for a few minutes but get no goals, then have a defensive breakdown or turnover and find themselves in a hole.

Amen.

Also explains why it feels like we control the games only to lose on a dumb breakdown. We're not getting flat-out outplayed in any way, and that's without 2 of our best d-men.

Whiskeypete 02-06-2013 10:12 PM

possession equates to sustained pressure, which results in mistakes by the other team. mistakes that often lead to power plays. the problem is the PP hasn't done the job yet on a consistent basis.

possession minimizes scoring chances for the opposition. the goaltending for LA has not been up to par yet. we are missing two key assets in Greene and Mitchell, which has caused breakdowns and lapses. LA is skating a rookie and a 7th D.

they are a .500 level team.

fix the PP, Quick improves and 33 and 2 return.....the team will begin to roll again