HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Hypothetical: is this possible? Salary Cap circumvention? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1343927)

leebog 02-07-2013 11:31 AM

Hypothetical: is this possible? Salary Cap circumvention?

Hypothetically, can a team not dress a 4th line all season and dress 2 superstar lines, with 1 "checking line", where the 2 superstar lines are highly paid?

For example:

NHL roster sizes are 23 players:

(12 Fwds, 6 Def, 2 Goalies, 3 players in press box)
cap is 65 million for argument sake
65 million/23 players = $2,826,086.96 per player

If you decrease the playing roster to eliminate the 4th line, thereby dressing only 17 players per game (barring no injuries)

(9 Fwds, 6 Def, 2 goalies, 0 players in press box)

65 million/17 players = $3,823,529.41 per player

So in essence, you can pay for more quality players, than quanitity.

spend $5mil per fwd for top 2 lines = $30 mil
$3 mil per player on 3rd line = $9 mil
$5 mil per top 3 Def, $1mil per for last 3 Def = $18 mil
$5 mil for your #1 goalie, $1million backup = $6 mil

Total $63 million and have $1 million under the cap to deal with injuries

Is this possible, hypothetically?

DL44 02-07-2013 03:25 PM

There is a roster minimum that you have to ice... i remember Calgary being forced to play the minimum a couple yrs ago due to cap issues and injuries.

I don't quite remember what the minimum skater limit was tho.

I know there is an on-ice roster min.... I'm not sure if there is a requirement above that for min players you have to have signed.

So assuming your 17 man playing roster meets the min, then hypothetically it could happen i guess.

leebog 02-07-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DL44 (Post 59232977)
There is a roster minimum that you have to ice... i remember Calgary being forced to play the minimum a couple yrs ago due to cap issues and injuries.

I don't quite remember what the minimum skater limit was tho.

I know there is an on-ice roster min.... I'm not sure if there is a requirement above that for min players you have to have signed.

So assuming your 17 man playing roster meets the min, then hypothetically it could happen i guess.

Yes I think it was jersey over the cap. I can't find any roster minimums.

LadyStanley 02-07-2013 06:57 PM

AIUI, you are required to have a minimum of 2 goalies, 18 skaters (on roster).

kdb209 02-07-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 59245245)
AIUI, you are required to have a minimum of 2 goalies, 18 skaters (on roster).

The Minimum Playing Roster hasn't changed - 18 skaters + 2 goalies.

There were cases where a team was forced to play short because they did not have cap space to call up injury replacements - but that has been addressed in the new CBA:

Quote:

24. Minimum Playing Roster

Clubs who are forced by reason of insufficient Cap Room (resulting from Player injury or suspension) to dress short of 18 and 2 for consecutive games (“roster emergency”) may, beginning for the second and continuing with all subsequent consecutive games, and without any charge to the team’s Payroll Range for the duration of the roster emergency, add to its Playing Roster and dress the requisite number of “emergency replacement” Players provided, however, that:
a) Any and all such recalled “emergency replacement” Players shall have an AA that is not more than the then-applicable NHL Minimum Salary plus $100,000 (e.g., currently $625,000), and

b) Each such Player may only remain on that Club’s Active Roster during the period of the “roster emergency.”

Dado 02-07-2013 07:53 PM

$5M * top 6F => $30M
$5M * top 4D => $20M
$5M * top 1 goalie => $5M

Leaving $5M (on a $60M cap) for 9 players at minimum of $600k.

It's doable. But I think you're going to have a hard hard time finding 6 forwards actually worth spending that much money on who are also willing to come play for you.

It's actually not that far off the Canucks model, where you have a core group of 5 forwards in the $4.5M+ range (Sedins, Kesler, Booth, Burrows), a number of high quality defensemen in the $4.5M-$5M area, and a stud goalie in the $5M range.

PensBeerGeek 02-08-2013 12:57 PM

I don't have any hard data, but I suspect that trying to skate your star forwards 25+ minutes a game over an entire season is going to lead to reduced productivity and more chance of injury.

A 4th line only has to cost you $1.5 million (less than the average NHL salary for a single player), but the 5-7 minutes they skate a night will add up over the course of a season.

leebog 02-09-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek (Post 59304027)
I don't have any hard data, but I suspect that trying to skate your star forwards 25+ minutes a game over an entire season is going to lead to reduced productivity and more chance of injury.

A 4th line only has to cost you $1.5 million (less than the average NHL salary for a single player), but the 5-7 minutes they skate a night will add up over the course of a season.

Is asking them to play 25-30 min too much?.seriously

Djp 02-09-2013 03:04 PM

This is silly.....

You can label those 6 extra players as league minimum players so their combined salary may be about $1.5M.

the other 17 players get the rest of the money.