HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What Is Up With Attendance? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1344387)

HF fan* 02-07-2013 08:38 PM

What Is Up With Attendance?
 
The lockout seems to have really had an impact on the Blues. 2nd place last year, win a series, and only averaging 17,000 plus? Last game had only 15,000. What is going on?

Robb_K 02-07-2013 10:34 PM

I suspect that it will be even worse now that they've lost three in a row.

CitizenSnips 02-07-2013 10:34 PM

They were during the week but I was on hand for the last two abysmal efforts and the lower section section was not very full.

It does seem as though the attendance is way down (except for opening night) and much quieter than previous seasons

diehardbluesfan 02-08-2013 01:27 AM

Because people don't want to spend money on a league that has had a lock out twice in the past seven years. I know quite a few people who had season tickets or a half season plan and got rid of them because of the past lock out. I'm sure St. Louis isn't the only american city struggling with attendance after another lock out.

Would I like to see STC packed every night? Hell yeah, but can you really blame anybody for not wanting to spend lots of money in this terrible economy (and especially STL)? I can't.

I'd expect next year the crowds will be better though.

kypredsfan 02-08-2013 04:25 AM

I wouldn't worry. Every fanbase gets a free pass for this season for obvious reasons.

JustOneB4IDie 02-08-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardbluesfan (Post 59289457)
Because people don't want to spend money on a league that has had a lock out twice in the past seven years. I know quite a few people who had season tickets or a half season plan and got rid of them because of the past lock out. I'm sure St. Louis isn't the only american city struggling with attendance after another lock out.

Would I like to see STC packed every night? Hell yeah, but can you really blame anybody for not wanting to spend lots of money in this terrible economy (and especially STL)? I can't.

I'd expect next year the crowds will be better though.

100 % agree. I know quite a few people who didn't re-up because of the lockout. With the exception of the rabid Hockey fans, you have to wonder if the casual fan will ever come back.

TuukYou14 02-08-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF fan (Post 59268079)
The lockout seems to have really had an impact on the Blues. 2nd place last year, win a series, and only averaging 17,000 plus? Last game had only 15,000. What is going on?

I agree with all of the above...
Additionally, in a shortened season there are home games much closer together on the calendar, causing it to be a tough situation for a lot of families.

Fans cannot go to every home game like they once could because financially, they only allot 'x' amount of dollars for entertaining purposes each month and now the number of home events during each month has been multiplied two-fold.

So not only do we have the pissed off fans who don't want to spend money, we also have the die hards who simply can't spend the money. If we have 3 home games in one week, that could end up like a car/mortgage payment for a family of 4 to go to all 3.

SirPaste 02-08-2013 09:38 AM

A lot of people are still sour about the lockout, the diehards are there obviously, but its gonna take a bit for people to get over it, I get it.

Big Al 2 02-08-2013 10:47 AM

Slow economy, higher taxes, and watching the game at home is a lot cheaper

Polaris 02-08-2013 10:56 AM

St. Louis is such a hipster town. Now that the team is good (last couple of games notwithstanding), all the hipsters decided that they can no longer support the team "ironically". :sarcasm:

It's the opposite of a bandwagon fanbase.

bluesfan94 02-08-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris (Post 59300805)
St. Louis is such a hipster town. Now that the team is good (last couple of games notwithstanding), all the hipsters decided that they can no longer support the team "ironically". :sarcasm:

It's the opposite of a bandwagon fanbase.

I'm one of those fans, to a point. I started being a Blues fan after the 2004-05 lockout when we were terrible because no one else was. Except then I got hooked and now I can't stay away

Polaris 02-08-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesfan94 (Post 59306805)
I'm one of those fans, to a point. I started being a Blues fan after the 2004-05 lockout when we were terrible because no one else was. Except then I got hooked and now I can't stay away

It certainly didn't hurt that you could get tickets for absolutely dirt cheap at the time. I remember cashing in on some of those Student Nights and getting near center ice seats, four rows up for $20 a pop.

Kudos to you though, you've certainly earned your stripes soldiering through some of those post-'04-'05 lockout seasons. Ah, the days when Lemtyugov was our Russian Savior, Steve Regier was our goal-scoring machine, and Eric Brewer was literally Satan. The good old times when Manny Legace was an All-Star representative, Steve Wagner and Jonas Junland were the future of the blueline, and Andy Murray literally ruined David Perron.

The hipster fan in me misses those days. :(

sh724 02-08-2013 02:26 PM

Ah the good old days when I would buy tickets next to the roof and sit in the front row by all the players wives.

ItsOnlytheRiver 02-08-2013 04:27 PM

You guys do realize there was a bit of attendance manipulation while the team was for sale right? Also, only one weekend game so far and it was opening night.

CitizenSnips 02-08-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 (Post 59291081)
100 % agree. I know quite a few people who didn't re-up because of the lockout. With the exception of the rabid Hockey fans, you have to wonder if the casual fan will ever come back.

Can't say I disagree with you but believe me, during the last two games there have been plenty of "casual" fans sitting behind me yelling absurd things. I am not the yelling type of fan, I will ALWAYS support the Blues through thick and thin and am the definition of turning the other cheek but let me tell you, I really wanted to yell things during those last two.

That said, the people and what they want to yell just tells me how little they know about hockey and are very "casual" indeed. I think St. Louis will always have people who have had season tickets for some time or claim to go to lots of games and then sit down at their seat and I hear them say things like "Who is that Russian guy again?" or "That new coach has his work cut out for him.", both of which were said by a fan behind me at the last Detroit game.

I don't mind the casual fan and I think we are lucky to have them because there are not enough true hockey fans here. I just hate having to listen to someone who has only watched hockey through drunken eyes yell at the players to "SHOOT!!!" or "SKATE!!!".

/rant

Mike Liut 02-08-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitizenSnips (Post 59324325)
Can't say I disagree with you but believe me, during the last two games there have been plenty of "casual" fans sitting behind me yelling absurd things. I am not the yelling type of fan, I will ALWAYS support the Blues through thick and thin and am the definition of turning the other cheek but let me tell you, I really wanted to yell things during those last two.

That said, the people and what they want to yell just tells me how little they know about hockey and are very "casual" indeed. I think St. Louis will always have people who have had season tickets for some time or claim to go to lots of games and then sit down at their seat and I hear them say things like "Who is that Russian guy again?" or "That new coach has his work cut out for him.", both of which were said by a fan behind me at the last Detroit game.

I don't mind the casual fan and I think we are lucky to have them because there are not enough true hockey fans here. I just hate having to listen to someone who has only watched hockey through drunken eyes yell at the players to "SHOOT!!!" or "SKATE!!!".

/rant



I love when fans yell, "shoot", like it's a 3 pointer in bball.

Big Al 2 02-08-2013 09:31 PM

Yelling SKATE is the one that gets me... They're all on skates, therefor they're all skating

underslept 02-08-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al 2 (Post 59330005)
Yelling SKATE is the one that gets me... They're all on skates, therefor they're all skating

It's better than hearing someone say RUN.

:handclap:

Celtic Note 02-08-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al 2 (Post 59330005)
Yelling SKATE is the one that gets me... They're all on skates, therefor they're all skating

Given the way the blues have been playing lately there might be a difference between them skating and them gliding.

Big Al 2 02-08-2013 11:38 PM

Clear it!!!

JustOneB4IDie 02-09-2013 02:09 AM

Get it up!

JustOneB4IDie 02-09-2013 04:06 AM

Get it up!

jura 02-09-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al 2 (Post 59334417)
Clear it!!!

at least it's not " D ##" :D

sh724 02-09-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitizenSnips (Post 59324325)
Can't say I disagree with you but believe me, during the last two games there have been plenty of "casual" fans sitting behind me yelling absurd things. I am not the yelling type of fan, I will ALWAYS support the Blues through thick and thin and am the definition of turning the other cheek but let me tell you, I really wanted to yell things during those last two.

That said, the people and what they want to yell just tells me how little they know about hockey and are very "casual" indeed. I think St. Louis will always have people who have had season tickets for some time or claim to go to lots of games and then sit down at their seat and I hear them say things like "Who is that Russian guy again?" or "That new coach has his work cut out for him.", both of which were said by a fan behind me at the last Detroit game.

I don't mind the casual fan and I think we are lucky to have them because there are not enough true hockey fans here. I just hate having to listen to someone who has only watched hockey through drunken eyes yell at the players to "SHOOT!!!" or "SKATE!!!".

/rant

The game Sarah Palin was at was the worst 90% of the people around me where just there to see her and had no idea what was going on but they all talked like they knew everything.

I was at a game last year about 10 rows from the ice. It was half threw the third and they did not know Minnesota's name is the 'wild' Some one yelled some thing about the wild and this lady starts asking 'the wild what?'

Yoko Ono 02-09-2013 01:46 PM

People forgot about the NHL it is a garage league and it earned its reputation with the latest lockout.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.