HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Who should start against the Sens? Bonus question: How do we handle Pavelec's starts? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1344615)

Inflict 02-08-2013 12:37 AM

Who should start against the Sens? Bonus question: How do we handle Pavelec's starts?

Do you think that Pavelec should sit the next game? If Montoya (or someone else) posts a win, should he receive another start or should we go back with Pavelec in Philly?

Edit: Forgot to give me own opinion. I would like to see Montoya with the start, especially since it is a back to back game in the afternoon. With regards to Pavelec's starts, I am of the mind to ride the hot hand and demote Pavelec as a 1A/1B starter (assuming we can get reasonable starts from someone else in the organization).

viper0220 02-08-2013 12:50 AM

Voted for Pavd give him a chance to rebound and we are without our top 2 d men.

White Out 403* 02-08-2013 12:53 AM

48th in the league save %

The only goaltender with a worse save % and a starter is Kipper in Calgary. I dunno. Montoya certainly isn't a reliable option as a starter so put Pavs back in and pray he works through it.

Lynk 02-08-2013 01:12 AM

I miss Ma$e.

On that note, I also miss Johan Hedberg.

ghost88* 02-08-2013 01:20 AM

Put Pavs in with an XXXXL sized glove and hope that he trips over himself enough times to get the saves needed to win.

mattcooke649 02-08-2013 04:11 AM

Whats with the Pav hate around the boards lately? i love the jets but am i realist. We aren't making playoffs(but i hope we do), were without our top 2 D and playing with 1 that should be in the A(Clitsome). He is a good young Goalie, once we get the team starting to be built like it should he will be an above average Goalie. We gotta give him some slack a little bit.

Inflict 02-08-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcooke649 (Post 59290919)
Whats with the Pav hate around the boards lately? i love the jets but am i realist. We aren't making playoffs(but i hope we do), were without our top 2 D and playing with 1 that should be in the A(Clitsome). He is a good young Goalie, once we get the team starting to be built like it should he will be an above average Goalie. We gotta give him some slack a little bit.

There are only so many excuses one can make for one of the worse goaltenders in the league statistically. Based solely on his performance the past few games, any other team in the league would have went to their backup by now. That is not a luxury we can afford apparently.

mattcooke649 02-08-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inflict (Post 59291289)
There are only so many excuses one can make for one of the worse goaltenders in the league statistically. Based solely on his performance the past few games, any other team in the league would have went to their backup by now. That is not a luxury we can afford apparently.

But if you watch most games like i do. You would see that he is definitely more important to this team then his numbers show. Look at last year for example, he was arguably our best player, kept us in a lot of games even tho our team played poorly. we would of been a bottom 5 team the last 2 years without him. Right now i can agree that he isn't stealing any games for us, but he usually makes the 1st save(after that its the Defense that needs to help him out and clear those rebounds). So i am putting most(not all, there been 1 or 2 bad pave games) on team Defense and PK. Once those improves i guarantee he will have his number around .910-.915

Inflict 02-08-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcooke649 (Post 59291797)
But if you watch most games like i do. You would see that he is definitely more important to this team then his numbers show. Look at last year for example, he was arguably our best player, kept us in a lot of games even tho our team played poorly. we would of been a bottom 5 team the last 2 years without him. Right now i can agree that he isn't stealing any games for us, but he usually makes the 1st save(after that its the Defense that needs to help him out and clear those rebounds). So i am putting most(not all, there been 1 or 2 bad pave games) on team Defense and PK. Once those improves i guarantee he will have his number around .910-.915

You are wearing beer goggles or you are actually Pavelec in disguise :sarcasm:.

But seriously, you can't compare this year's Pavelec to last year's. He is playing much worse then he did when Buff + Bogo went down last year.

King Woodballs 02-08-2013 06:37 AM

clearly Pavelec

still can't believe the unjust hate he receives

Duke749 02-08-2013 06:48 AM

The problem is, the way this team plays in front of him, he would have to play like a top
5 goalie for us to win games.

Interesting point Lynk. I wonder if the lack of a veteran presence is hurting Pavs. This is the first year we haven't had a veteran goalie on the team.

truck 02-08-2013 08:25 AM

The Jets held the Leafs and Panthers to an average of 18 shots against and I thought they largely prevented top notch scoring chances. All in all I think the D has been ok.

tacogeoff 02-08-2013 08:43 AM

Pavs without a doubt. If he cracks then big Al. It is going to be a tough game against Ottawa, even without Spezza they are looking good.

Prot 02-08-2013 08:53 AM

I picked Montoya but here's why:

Pavelec IS #1 in my mind. But the amount of times he's been scored on with Hainsey's ass in his face is probably equal to the amount of times he's been beaten, going down, on a glove high shot.

Ottawa gives the Jets something they can't handle (usually), strategy. And a clogged neutral zone. As usual Noel will have no plan for this, so it's a tough game to start with.

Since Pav has to feel frustrated, and Noel wants to shake it up, this is as good a game as any to give Montoya some reps.

Ottawa does the two things that are almost instant win recipes against the jets; trap zone and shoot high glove. There's no reason to not give Montoya some time to get his stride and challenge for a starting job.

sully1410 02-08-2013 09:55 AM

I voted Pavs. He looked pretty decent last game, and I think it's going to get better.

TroubaFan1 02-08-2013 10:07 AM

Pavs will be just fine, I promise. :nod: :)

truck 02-08-2013 10:08 AM

I voted Pav because he is still the Jets best goalie and they really need to get him rolling.
  • Big Al isn't very good.
  • Dex has struggled out east.
  • Pasquale is still a couple years away from being the Jets starter. :(
I would understand giving Pav a night off, but he has always struggled after multiple days of rest so they are probably better off keeping him busy.

Soble 02-08-2013 10:10 AM

Pavs has s*cked blue****s against the Sens. Last year gave up 16 goals in 3 games (actually maybe 14, think 2 empty netters) and another 4 on opening day. Last year we shut-out Ottawa with Ma$e.

You can call me Al.

cheswick 02-08-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcooke649 (Post 59290919)

I haven't been high on Pavs ever. Felt he was way overated last season (I remember one thread about him being a Vezina candidate).

With that said, I personally don't get the increase of hate after the Leafs game. Don't particularily blame him for any of the goals.

Asd for the question. I never want to see him play in back to back games. Give Montoya a chance to play more often. Right now Pavs knows he's the solid number one. Some goalies need to play scared of losing their job to perform better. IF he plays a stinker don't play him the next game.

Gump Hasek 02-08-2013 10:12 AM

The goal-tending is going to continue to appear overly shaky until they are able to shore up the D; a correlation that some of you are missing, apparently.

bigplay41* 02-08-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soble (Post 59298261)
Pavs has s*cked blue****s against the Sens. Last year gave up 16 goals in 3 games (actually maybe 14, think 2 empty netters) and another 4 on opening day. Last year we shut-out Ottawa with Ma$e.

You can call me Al.

Sens own Pavs so my vote was with Montoya

mondena 02-08-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigplay41 (Post 59298807)
Sens own Pavs so my vote was with Montoya

I agree with this

truck 02-08-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump Hasek (Post 59298373)
The goal-tending is going to continue to appear overly shaky until they are able to shore up the D; a correlation that some of you are missing, apparently.

Postma boo boos aside, the Jets D wasn't that bad last night and I really haven't see the D as a big issue this year.

The Jets are allowing the 11th fewest shots against and have allowed an average of 18 shots against over the last two games despite playing without Buff and Bogo.

The early PK was awful, but the goalie makes the D look bad every bit as much as the reverse it true.

Gump Hasek 02-08-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truck (Post 59299859)
Postma boo boos aside, the Jets D wasn't that bad last night and I really haven't see the D as a big issue this year.

The Jets are allowing the 11th fewest shots against and have allowed an average of 18 shots against over the last two games despite playing without Buff and Bogo.

The early PK was awful, but the goalie makes the D look bad every bit as much as the reverse it true.

You keep posting this. The quality of shots against is the concern, not quantity. At least with Buff and Bogo there teams are mostly boxed outside. Now it is a parade of breakaways, point-blank opportunities, and guys crowding the net. The D core is currently an AHL-level group overall. Guys are playing in positions above their grade because two out of the top three D are injured.

garret9 02-08-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump Hasek (Post 59300309)
You keep posting this. The quality of shots against is the concern, not quantity. At least with Buff and Bogo there teams are mostly boxed outside. Now it is a parade of breakaways, point-blank opportunities, and guys crowding the net. The D core is currently an AHL-level group overall. Guys are playing in positions above their grade because two out of the top three D are injured.

Personally I haven't seen anything that's of a higher quality than any other goalie faces from time-to-time.

I agree with someone who posted above that Pav's hasn't really been good for a lot of games last year and this year, but the game against Toronto wasn't really one of those.

I'm sorry but honestly a LOT of the goals against have not been "quality" chances (in other games). You look around at other teams and all of them let stuff like that and some of them just as often as we do.

Pavelec is not yet an average NHL starter. But, I think Montoya is most likely worse, Pasquale isn't ready (and may never be a true NHL starter) and Dekanich still hasn't returned to pre-injury form.