HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Stl - Wsh (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1344811)

Oberyn 02-08-2013 11:04 AM

Stl - Wsh
 
Stl:
Backstrom

Wsh:
Perron
Stewart
2nd

From what I've seen, Backstrom has not been playing the way he's capable of, and I think a change of scenery would do him good. Washington is in shambles right now, and I honestly don't see them trading Ovie, making Backstrom the next in line.

Blues roster would be:
McDonald-Backstrom-Tarasenko
Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Berglund-D'Agostini
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

Schwartz could even be sent down to Peoria, it's clear he needs to develop more physically. Bring up Porter and move Sobotka to the 3rd line if we have to.

Wash:
Perron-Ribeiro-Ovie
Wolski-Johnasson-Stewart
Chimera-Laich-Brouwer
Hendricks-Beagle-Ward

Not sure how the Caps roster would look, the above is just a guess. The trade gives them a lot more depth throughout the lineup IMO, and with guys like Forsberg and Kuznetsov coming up in a couple years, I think they're roster will look very strong.

What do Caps fans feel about this proposal? Any potential to hash out a deal here, or are you guys satisfied with Backstrom's performance thus far?

Fallschirmyager 02-08-2013 11:12 AM

In short. No.

It makes no difference how poorly the team is playing this year. Without an ignorant over payment proposal the answer would be no. Backstrom is a corner stone type player not traded unless he demands it.

Stewie G 02-08-2013 11:21 AM

Would your team consider selling its second best player in a quality for quantity deal?

Fire Shero* 02-08-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie G (Post 59301989)
Would your team consider selling its second best player in a quality for quantity deal?

Pens fan here. It seems like Washington desperately needs quantity when Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle play with Ovie. They aren't in some slump, they are not a good team.

Stewie G 02-08-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Wingers (Post 59302141)
Pens fan here. It seems like Washington desperately needs quantity when Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle play with Ovie. They aren't in some slump, they are not a good team.

They may not be playing well, but my point remains. You don't sell top players in quality for quantity deals unless you are forced to. It is infinitely easier to find upgrades over players like Beagle and Crabb than it is to replace a player like Backstrom.

stlblues9 02-08-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie G (Post 59301989)
Would your team consider selling its second best player in a quality for quantity deal?

Well Perron is one of St. Louis' better players. This isn't quantity.

Kshahdoo 02-08-2013 11:34 AM

Blues should go for Ribeiro. Good playmaker is what they need.

stlblues9 02-08-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie G (Post 59301989)
Would your team consider selling its second best player in a quality for quantity deal?

Well Perron is one of St. Louis' better players. This isn't quantity.

SirPaste 02-08-2013 11:42 AM

I would love to get Backstrom, dont see Wash trading him though. I would probably offer more than the OP as well.

OCPenguin 02-08-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie G (Post 59302609)
They may not be playing well, but my point remains. You don't sell top players in quality for quantity deals unless you are forced to. It is infinitely easier to find upgrades over players like Beagle and Crabb than it is to replace a player like Backstrom.

Actually, should Perron remain healthy and Stewart motivated, this isn't a bad deal for Washington. The second would also be a nice piece since its a deep draft. Backstrom is a great player, no doubt. However, there seems to be something missing from him the last two years and the start of this season. I have no clue if its the system or not, but something doesn't seem right.

Halpysback* 02-08-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlblues9 (Post 59303119)
Well Perron is one of St. Louis' better players. This isn't quantity.

compared to Backstrom it absolutely is

KIRK 02-08-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie G (Post 59301989)
Would your team consider selling its second best player in a quality for quantity deal?

I'd call Perron and Stewart a little more than quantity. That said, it would take Schwartz, not the 2nd, as the third piece to get anyone's attention.

Fallschirmyager 02-08-2013 11:48 AM

IF GMGM decided to shop him you may have offered a decent return but as I said, in order to pry him away it will take an over payment. Fair market won't get the discussion rolling for a player the team doesn't want to move.

Stewie G 02-08-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCPenguin (Post 59303193)
Actually, should Perron remain healthy and Stewart motivated, this isn't a bad deal for Washington. The second would also be a nice piece since its a deep draft. Backstrom is a great player, no doubt. However, there seems to be something missing from him the last two years and the start of this season. I have no clue if its the system or not, but something doesn't seem right.

Remove Backstrom from the Caps lineup and assume that Ribeiro doesn't stay. Then take a look at the Caps center depth for next year and tell me if you think the proposed trade would leave the Caps as a better team overall.

I'd rather the Caps take their chances that Backstrom returns to elite form than take a package of assets that have question marks of their own.

JustOneB4IDie 02-08-2013 12:17 PM

This trade thread for Backstrom to the Blues may as well be a trade for Toews, & Jordan Staal IMO. And it's ironic the Blues could have drafted the above, but took Erik Johnson :facepalm:

capitalsrock 02-08-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Wingers (Post 59302141)
Pens fan here. It seems like Washington desperately needs quantity when Joey Crabb and Jay Beagle play with Ovie. They aren't in some slump, they are not a good team.

Not surprised you said this because you are a pens fan.

It's not like Crabb and Beagle were the best players we could find for ovy. They were teaching him a lesson about earning ice time and being more responsible.

They are definitely in a slump because just look at the past seasons over the past 5 years or so. That is basically the same team we have now with no major additions or losses, although our goaltending keeps changing. That is a team that won the presidents trophy, was predicted to win the cup by many for a couple years straight, won several division titles, and made the playoffs every year.

McPhee has put together a great team and it's just one of those things where nobody knows why they are playing so badly with all of the talent they have.

You can not honestly tell me that the Washington Capitals are not in a slump.

frostyflo 02-08-2013 12:24 PM

i understand if Was fans say no and I might be biased as a Blues fan, but you really think its not a good deal?
Perron and Stewart are top6 wingers without a doubt and if you compare OPs deal with the Nash deal we have:

1 top-line forward for
2 top-6 forwards and IMO the players we offer are better than Dubinsky and Anisimov
cant say much about Erixon but I guess he'd wouldn't be worth much more than a 2nd

not to forget both are young and still have lot of potential and Perron has got a great contract

Stewie G 02-08-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostyflo (Post 59305397)
i understand if Was fans say no and I might be biased as a Blues fan, but you really think its not a good deal?
Perron and Stewart are top6 wingers without a doubt and if you compare OPs deal with the Nash deal we have:

1 top-line forward for
2 top-6 forwards and IMO the players we offer are better than Dubinsky and Anisimov
cant say much about Erixon but I guess he'd wouldn't be worth much more than a 2nd

not to forget both are young and still have lot of potential and Perron has got a great contract

Backstrom hasn't requested a trade, doesn't have a NTC, and the Caps near-term center depth is very thin. They have 0 motivation to trade him unless presented with an offer that would likely get a GM fired.

frostyflo 02-08-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie G (Post 59305569)
Backstrom hasn't requested a trade, doesn't have a NTC, and the Caps near-term center depth is very thin. They have 0 motivation to trade him unless presented with an offer that would likely get a GM fired.

ok, thats just fair. i just thought its a little unfair to say its only quantity we are offering

Stewie G 02-08-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostyflo (Post 59305869)
ok, thats just fair. i just thought its a little unfair to say its only quantity we are offering

The offer wouldn't be considered quantity for a large majority of players in the league. For a player of Backstrom's caliber though, just by sheer fact that the offer was 3 pieces for 1, means it is a quality for quantity type of deal.

CarvinSigX 02-08-2013 01:16 PM

Perron
Stewart
Schwartz

Backstrom
Pick

Brave Sir Robin 02-08-2013 01:17 PM

Get real. Caps won't trade Backstrom even for Pietrangelo.

KIRK 02-08-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin (Post 59308187)
Get real. Caps won't trade Backstrom even for Pietrangelo.

That's why George McPhee is the best GM in the business. :snide:

BTD5504 02-08-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin (Post 59308187)
Get real. Caps won't trade Backstrom even for Pietrangelo.

That value is fair, but would leave a gaping hole at 1C for the Caps and 1D for STL.

KIRK 02-08-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTD5504 (Post 59308371)
That value is fair, but would leave a gaping hole at 1C for the Caps and 1D for STL.

No, it's not. You don't trade a guy who's going to be in or just outside the Norris debate for a guy who I'm not even sure I wouldn't prefer less than 20 other centers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.