HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   News Article: Bruins planning to offer Rask contract in-season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1344859)

Lost Horizons 02-08-2013 12:56 PM

Bruins planning to offer Rask contract in-season

Bruins planning to offer Rask contract in-season

Quote:

“Breaching my own policy [of not discussing contracts], we will bring up talks with Tuukka at some point in this season, in hoping to extend him. I know the perception looks like one follows the other and I was waiting to pull the trigger based on a great game by Tuukka. We’ve been pretty open with Tuukka and Tim as far as when we would see them ending up, I call it a succession plan.

Bi Coastal Bawse* 02-08-2013 12:57 PM

Yes!

Gobias Industries 02-08-2013 12:59 PM

Let's get this done quickly before he's 7 a year...

I'd be okay with 5 year, 6 per...but I'd love more years under 6 mil though...

Scotto74 02-08-2013 12:59 PM

not shocking considering Chia track record of signing guys early. Love this GM

BergyWho37 02-08-2013 01:08 PM

5 mill or do I dare say PC gets him for less ;) ..... always love this about PC :handclap:

MioneRask134 02-08-2013 01:11 PM

Hes earned it. Laughing at all the Rask haters from the past years on here. The guy IS good and he CAN hack it.

Scotto74 02-08-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mione134 (Post 59304723)
Hes earned it. Laughing at all the Rask haters from the past years on here. The guy IS good and he CAN hack it.

Never been a Rask hater but until he does it in the playoffs he has proven nothing. You know who else is a great regular season goalie. Luongo.
not saying that Rask is like this but he has not shown me yet that he is not.

C77 02-08-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mione134 (Post 59304723)

Is this really necessary?

How can one be a Bruins fan and be a "Rask hater" ?

Schalkenullvier* 02-08-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotto74 (Post 59304837)
Never been a Rask hater but until he does it in the playoffs he has proven nothing. You know who else is a great regular season goalie. Luongo.

Meh, Luongo is still a very good goalie.

Artemis 02-08-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C77 (Post 59304875)
Is this really necessary?

How can one be a Bruins fan and be a "Rask hater" ?

Not often seen, they do indeed exist, along with Krejci haters, Lucic haters, Seguin haters, Kelly haters, and the rare but noisy Bergeron hater. ;)

ToddRundgren 02-08-2013 01:25 PM

I really dislike the word "haters". Like if you are not 100% confident in a player, or think a team should upgrade, you are automatically a "hater." Just stupid.

On topic, get Rask locked up!

Scotto74 02-08-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier (Post 59305179)
Meh, Luongo is still a very good goalie.

correction Luongo is a very good regular season goalie until he proves otherwise. He had to many meltdowns in the playoffs to make me comfortable having him in net going into the playoffs without a backup that is really another starter.

Bi Coastal Bawse* 02-08-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancelotLink (Post 59305449)
I really dislike the word "haters". Like if you are not 100% confident in a player, or think a team should upgrade, you are automatically a "hater." Just stupid.

Hater is the most overused word since 2011

hoss75 02-08-2013 01:55 PM

Doh, where's the Haggs warning.

Schalkenullvier* 02-08-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotto74 (Post 59305655)
correction Luongo is a very good regular season goalie until he proves otherwise. He had to many meltdowns in the playoffs to make me comfortable having him in net going into the playoffs without a backup that is really another starter.

well, granted I don't put much stock into playoff performance due to the small sample size. His choker label is somewhat overstated imo... the problem is that he has that reputation and so all that he does is labelled as choking quickly. For example against the Kings last year he way his team's best player, then gets tken out for a shakeup... people call out Luongo. Same with the 2010 olympic final, he finds himself alone against two US skaters with 25 seconds to go, and people say he almost lost Canada a gold medal. I have never heard Ryan Miller being called a choker, although it was him that let in the softie golden goal.

Against he Bruins it was much of the same, he dd let in some bad goals, but his team just rolled up and died mostly. Let's not forget that Timmy Thomas also had a few rough games in those playoffs, but his team gave him enough support and he made up for it with elite performances otherwise. luongo also had great games in the final; two shutouts, and a win in OT. But his team scored 8 goals in 7 games. Not even timmy would have won with that. Let's not forget Lou was in the Conn Smythe discussion had the 'nucks won. And he didn't choke in game 7.

My point? I think the "Choker" label is given out much too quickly these days in north america. I'd much rather have a goalie like luongo who has proven himself in the regular season than a goalie who is mediocre but had some good playoff runs, à la Roloson. Nothing in Tuukka's game tells me he won't be an elite goalie.

MioneRask134 02-08-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

You underestimate articulate people. Not everyone is going to come on here and say why they dislike Rask in such a way as you. And by dislike, I mean you're not 100% confident in the guy. Which is a valid point for many. Though people don't do it in a way such as you.

What IS stupid, is the fact that he HAS proven he can do it in the playoffs, he's the reason why we were there a few years ago. He got beat by a Olympian. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Just look last year at the crap people on here were spewing about Rask. People just like to hate him. He's doing his job, and doing it well. Lock him up while we can.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 02-08-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Using "Hater" also makes the person sound like a 15 year old.

Scotto74 02-08-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier (Post 59307377)
well, granted I don't put much stock into playoff performance due to the small sample size. His choker label is somewhat overstated imo... the problem is that he has that reputation and so all that he does is labelled as choking quickly. For example against the Kings last year he way his team's best player, then gets tken out for a shakeup... people call out Luongo. Same with the 2010 olympic final, he finds himself alone against two US skaters with 25 seconds to go, and people say he almost lost Canada a gold medal. I have never heard Ryan Miller being called a choker, although it was him that let in the softie golden goal.

Against he Bruins it was much of the same, he dd let in some bad goals, but his team just rolled up and died mostly. Let's not forget that Timmy Thomas also had a few rough games in those playoffs, but his team gave him enough support and he made up for it with elite performances otherwise. luongo also had great games in the final; two shutouts, and a win in OT. But his team scored 8 goals in 7 games. Not even timmy would have won with that. Let's not forget Lou was in the Conn Smythe discussion had the 'nucks won. And he didn't choke in game 7.

My point? I think the "Choker" label is given out much too quickly these days in north america. I'd much rather have a goalie like luongo who has proven himself in the regular season than a goalie who is mediocre but had some good playoff runs, à la Roloson. Nothing in Tuukka's game tells me he won't be an elite goalie.

fair enough argument but I don't agree. I would rather have a guy who is known to step it up in the playoffs even if they are not as good regular season then a guy who is great regular season but does not step it up or even takes a step back in the playoffs.

dredeye 02-08-2013 02:07 PM

I wonder how much term they'd be willing to throw his way? I'd think they max out at 5 years for him. 5yrs 25m total or under and I'd be very happy.

flannelman 02-08-2013 02:20 PM

it'll be good to get him locked up, it'll give us all a better understanding of what type of $$$ we'll have to work with and who, if any, folks we'll have to move.

Right now, Tuukka ranks in at 20th for Goaltender Cap Hit (per Cap Geek). He's going to get a bump from that 3.5 - undoubtedly.

If I look at the sub-20 y/o's for comparison:

Price: 6.5
MAF: 5
Schneider: 4
Pavelec: 3.9
Niemi: 3.8
Halak 3.75
Lehtonen: 3.55

At what price point does he end up? He's a shoe in for 4, but I (hope) don't expect him to get the 6.5. I'm thinking the 5ish range will be the sweet-spot. Maybe with the cap going down PC catches a break and gets Rask for 4.5 but I'm probably dreaming with that.

Actp 02-08-2013 02:21 PM

Fwiw I thought an offer was coming for either Rask or Horton. Rask has to prove his consistency and durability to me, but better to sign him early and get him cheapr than they otherwise would.

TMac21 02-08-2013 02:22 PM

5 x 5?

Gee Wally 02-08-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMac21 (Post 59308413)
5 x 5?

That's what I'm thinking. Fair to both sides IMO.

ToddRundgren 02-08-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mione134 (Post 59307391)
You underestimate articulate people. Not everyone is going to come on here and say why they dislike Rask in such a way as you. And by dislike, I mean you're not 100% confident in the guy. Which is a valid point for many. Though people don't do it in a way such as you.

What IS stupid, is the fact that he HAS proven he can do it in the playoffs, he's the reason why we were there a few years ago. He got beat by a Olympian. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Just look last year at the crap people on here were spewing about Rask. People just like to hate him. He's doing his job, and doing it well. Lock him up while we can.

Good points, very well put. I also like the 5 x 5 suggested below!

BB624 02-08-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotto74 (Post 59304837)

Hope you said the same thing about Thomas going into the 2011 playoffs.