HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Forward to Calgary for a Defenseman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1345119)

flameaholic 02-08-2013 05:23 PM

Forward to Calgary for a Defenseman

Flames just activated Anton Babchuk from I.R. and currently have 8 healthy D. Backlund and Baertschi are out long-term (4-6 weeks) and Cammalleri is day-to-day.

Any one of Chris Butler, Derek Smith, Anton Babchuk, and Cory Sarich can be had for the right forward.

Offer away.. :naughty:

JeffMangum 02-08-2013 05:25 PM

Arron Asham for Cory Sarich.

EDIT: Nevermind, would rather not add $1M in cap space for the next two years.

I'll throw out a 4th for Smith.

flameaholic 02-08-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith (Post 59320225)
Arron Asham for Cory Sarich.

That won't work. How about Chris Butler for Brian Boyle?

JeffMangum 02-08-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flameaholic (Post 59320297)
That won't work. How about Chris Butler for Brian Boyle?

Seems like Calgary fans hate Butler and think he sucks, from what I've read at least.

The Rangers already have two solid #7 defenseman on their D, but they could use a legit #6. I like Smith. Maybe Smith+ for Boyle if he's pushed out of the lineup? I'm not an advocate of trading Boyle, but if the offer is good enough I wouldn't be opposed to it.

HighLifeMan 02-08-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith (Post 59320463)
Seems like Calgary fans hate Butler and think he sucks, from what I've read at least.

The Rangers already have two solid #7 defenseman on their D, but they could use a legit #6. I like Smith. Maybe Smith+ for Boyle if he's pushed out of the lineup? I'm not an advocate of trading Boyle, but if the offer is good enough I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Butler struggles when he has to play over 15-17 minutes a night. He really is not a bad hockey player but he did play himself out of favor here in Calgary last year when he was relied upon to play top pairing minutes. I would definitely say that Butler is a more capable defender than Smith and has more room to improve. Smith is solid, but has really only played in extremely sheltered situations to this point in his career.

Boyle would be a great fit in Calgary. I would love to have him.

Also to the OP, where did you read that Baertschi was out 4-6 weeks? I certainly hope not, and I doubt that with a hip flexor injury. The last I heard was that he was listed as week to week and that it is nothing significant.

BigHabs 02-08-2013 05:55 PM

Chris Butler is of interest to me for the Habs.

Decent size and can move the puck and is decent defensively. I thought he was good at the last world cup as well.

Montreal could use a guy like that, just timing right now sucks as we have a log jam of offensive dmen and I would like to see 2 go preferably Kaberle and Weber in that order.

What for Butler thought?

CoRD 02-08-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peso (Post 59321367)
Chris Butler is of interest to me for the Habs.

Decent size and can move the puck and is decent defensively. I thought he was good at the last world cup as well.

Montreal could use a guy like that, just timing right now sucks as we have a log jam of offensive dmen and I would like to see 2 go preferably Kaberle and Weber in that order.

What for Butler thought?

Prust!!!!!!!!!

TOML 02-08-2013 06:02 PM

Babchuk never worked there, but trading him is fairly difficult.

Actually none of those defensemen have any substantial value. (Sarich? Lol)

Try Giordano. His contract is the easiest to move out of the top-3.

However, the Flames need him. Badly.

Anyway, you replace a plug defenseman with a plug forward... Team improved? Not really.

Just call up guys until the injured forwards come back. It's not like making an insignificant trade will affect Cgy's season.

TOML

Mr Misty 02-08-2013 06:40 PM

Wandell + Morrow + Robidas for Butler or Babchuk. Dallas will eat as much salary as necessary.

western redmen 02-08-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Misty (Post 59322663)
Wandell + Morrow + Robidas for Butler or Babchuk. Dallas will eat as much salary as necessary.

U guys hate morrow THAT much??

Mr Misty 02-08-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by western redmen (Post 59323673)
U guys hate morrow THAT much??

Robidas. Also Morrow, but mostly Robidas.

TheHudlinator 02-08-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Misty (Post 59322663)

Done they are on their way to the airport no trade backs.

Stealth JD 02-08-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOML (Post 59321559)

Why do they need him so badly? To miss the playoffs? They can do that without him...

flameaholic 02-08-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenith (Post 59320463)

Not true at all. We didn't like Butler in the top 4, we like him as a #5. If you'd prefer Smith, maybe Smith + 4th for Boyle. Flames could use some size down the middle.

How is Boyle's faceoff ability and physical play?

Boondock 02-08-2013 09:19 PM

Too bad both LA and Calgary couldn't go back in time a little. LA just traded Loktionov for a 5th, then acquired Ellerby for a 5th. The 2 could have just swapped Lokti for 1 of Calgary's excess dmen and killed 2 birds with one stone.

Coconut Head 02-08-2013 09:23 PM

Vanek, grigorenko, and three 1st rounders for The Anton

nogger 02-08-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pouncebounce (Post 59329639)
Vanek, grigorenko, and three 1st rounders for The Anton

Buffalo will have the add

Adirondack Flames 02-09-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoRD (Post 59321433)
Prust!!!!!!!!!

Christ no. At that salary keep Prust far from Calgary.

ThirdManIn 02-09-2013 03:26 PM

Title edited for clarity.

blankall 02-09-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOML (Post 59321559)
Babchuk never worked there, but trading him is fairly difficult.

Actually none of those defensemen have any substantial value. (Sarich? Lol)

Anyway, you replace a plug defenseman with a plug forward... Team improved? Not really.

Just call up guys until the injured forwards come back. It's not like making an insignificant trade will affect Cgy's season.

TOML

The Flames don't need Giordano all that badly right now. Wideman is really working out. Brodie and JBo are both looking great this year. If Giordano is moved, it's not for a plug though. Young second liner with first line potential.

Some Other Flame 02-09-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blankall (Post 59367313)
The Flames don't need Giordano all that badly right now. Wideman is really working out. Brodie and JBo are both looking great this year. If Giordano is moved, it's not for a plug though. Young second liner with first line potential.

The Flames don't need 4 top-four defensemen? Really?

You realize the Flames don't have anyone in the organization that comes close to being able to replace Giordano's minutes, right?