HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Mike Ribeiro (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1345225)

breakawaygoal 02-08-2013 09:19 PM

Mike Ribeiro

Caps aren't going anywhere this year, and it'd be stupid for them to try (and probably fail) to squeak their way into the playoffs when they could get a top draft pick instead.

Mike Ribiero is leading the Caps in goals and points, with a 4-9-13 stat line through 11 games. He is a UFA this summer, and could help a team big time at the trade deadline IMO.

What kind of offers could the Caps expect if they dangle Ribiero at (or more likely before) the deadline?

vokiel 02-08-2013 09:25 PM

Desharnais, Kaber + CGY's 2nd.

GatoradeG* 02-08-2013 09:32 PM

He would probably look good on a team like Chicago. Although maybe not as gritty as they would be looking for.

Vitto79 02-08-2013 09:35 PM

I'd take him as the Rangers 2nd line C , sliding Stepan to the wing on that line with Callahan on RW or one of the big wingers Nash, Gaborik

2nd rounder. Was Ribiero not dealt for a 2nd from DAL to WSH? that's a for a full yr so as a rental same value

zytz 02-08-2013 09:38 PM

What would the Caps want from CHI? We'd be most willing to part with some of our prospects who are ready to make the jump.

Nzap 02-08-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 59327515)

2nd rounder. Was Ribiero not dealt for a 2nd from DAL to WSH? that's a for a full yr so as a rental same value

It was 2nd + Eakin, and Eakin was a piece Dallas really wanted.

capitalsrock 02-08-2013 09:42 PM

doubt he will be traded because he has played so well for us.

HTFN 02-08-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganORiellyFan (Post 59327401)
He would probably look good on a team like Chicago. Although maybe not as gritty as they would be looking for.

Depending on how you define "grit", I wouldn't necessarily exclude Ribiero. He's not going to go destroy people, but for a guy his size (especially one who isn't fast), he's not afraid to go to ugly areas, or put his body in the way to make a play. Surprisingly tenacious, I suppose is the best way to describe it. He wouldn't be the focal point if you wanted to show off how tough your team is, but I honestly don't think he'd be out of place, or noticeably soft to the point that it's a hindrance.

danyhabsfan 02-08-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakawaygoal (Post 59326907)
Caps aren't going anywhere this year, and it'd be stupid for them to try (and probably fail) to squeak their way into the playoffs when they could get a top draft pick instead.

Mike Ribiero is leading the Caps in goals and points, with a 4-9-13 stat line through 11 games. He is a UFA this summer, and could help a team big time at the trade deadline IMO.

What kind of offers could the Caps expect if they dangle Ribiero at (or more likely before) the deadline?

Quote:

I'd take him as the Rangers 2nd line C , sliding Stepan to the wing on that line with Callahan on RW or one of the big wingers Nash, Gaborik

Quote:

Originally Posted by HTFN (Post 59327823)
Depending on how you define "grit", I wouldn't necessarily exclude Ribiero. He's not going to go destroy people, but for a guy his size (especially one who isn't fast), he's not afraid to go to ugly areas, or put his body in the way to make a play. Surprisingly tenacious, I suppose is the best way to describe it. He wouldn't be the focal point if you wanted to show off how tough your team is, but I honestly don't think he'd be out of place, or noticeably soft to the point that it's a hindrance.

Ribeiro please

Not Ribiero :rant:

Stewie G 02-08-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

I'd think they could get a first from a contender for him quite easily. He's over a PPG on a dysfunctional Caps team without any high quality wingers.

I hate to use the Gaustad example, but costs go up at the deadline. Somebody out there would be willing to toss a late first for him if he's still playing well.

usiel 02-09-2013 12:30 AM

Teams tend to value more highly their existing top prospects than the unknown of the 15 or lower pick in the first round so yeah I would think he could fetch a bottom half 1st for a playoff team needing a 2c offensive bump for whatever reason.

glovesave_35 02-09-2013 02:12 AM

I don't know what his value is but I hope he gets to the playoffs for somebody. It was a good time for him and Dallas to part ways but he was one of my favorite players when he was here. I'm glad the east coast fans got a chance to be reintroduced to him since his more immature days in Montreal.

fedfed 02-09-2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danyhabsfan (Post 59329273)
Ribeiro please

Not Ribiero :rant:

I thought it was just me being grammar nazi. Thanks for saying exactly what I thought.

I think lockout gave the answer on why he came to Wahsington for so cheap. There was the risk that he'll never ever wear a Caps jersey. Price would sure be higher at the deadline, but Rangers don't have their 1st rd. Anyway, if I'm GMGM, I'm really pushing hard to re-sign him. Rrright now.

Honour Over Glory 02-09-2013 03:54 AM

Toronto is still desperate for a center, if Ribeiro is available...there's one team that should be serious about trading for him if they really want to give Kessel a better playmaker and Ribeiro would be their best center since Sundin left.

Honour Over Glory 02-09-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usiel (Post 59334229)
Teams tend to value more highly their existing top prospects than the unknown of the 15 or lower pick in the first round so yeah I would think he could fetch a bottom half 1st for a playoff team needing a 2c offensive bump for whatever reason.

It's also a deep draft this year, those teams might not be that willing to part with their 1st-3rd picks this year.

So far, we've seen a lot of 5th rounders being thrown around, which is weird to me, but I think if a 2nd or 1st gets moved that doesn't have some condition attached to it, it'd be a big trade and not some rental.

SimplySensational 02-09-2013 05:39 AM

Well if the Caps feel they are out of the playoff race at the deadline, they could easily get a first, obviously it may end being a bold decision because likely there is a possibility of them making it, but that brings the fact the shortened season will only make this trade deadline probably even worse than the last.

glovesave_35 02-09-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 59337239)
Anyway, if I'm GMGM, I'm really pushing hard to re-sign him. Rrright now.

Given the circumstances surrounding the team this season I would have to think Ribeiro is headed for free agency. He's over 30 and never tested UFA because he signed an extension with the Stars before he could have last time. I'd imagine some things would really have to change and/or the Caps offer him quite a bit of money to get him to forego free agency for a team he's been with for a few weeks.

Hivemind 02-09-2013 09:01 AM

Would rather sign him to a 3-4 year extension in Washington. But if he's not interested or is asking for too much, then deal him for the 1st+ that rentals like him command at the deadline.

fedfed 02-09-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory (Post 59337275)
Toronto is still desperate for a center, if Ribeiro is available...there's one team that should be serious about trading for him if they really want to give Kessel a better playmaker and Ribeiro would be their best center since Sundin left.

1st rd pick:naughty:

SirPaste 02-09-2013 09:37 AM

Id love for the Blues to get him at the deadline if he becomes available

BiPolar Caps 02-09-2013 09:40 AM

Package Ribeiro with the likes of say Chimera, definitely a first rounder in return plus a prospect.

Liferleafer 02-09-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory (Post 59337275)

Lets say i agree, what's the price?

Hivemind 02-09-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liferleafer (Post 59340283)
Lets say i agree, what's the price?

1st + Toninato

LEAFANFORLIFE23 02-09-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 59340005)
1st rd pick:naughty:

nope not from us

fedfed 02-09-2013 12:31 PM

Tyler Biggs?
No 1st rounder OR 1st round talent = no Ribeiro for you, you'll just be easily outbid. 'Fair value' doesn't cut it. We wouldn't want fair, we would want highest bid and somebody WILL flinch.