HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Leafs or Oilers 7 game series (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1345329)

Auger 02-09-2013 01:25 AM

Leafs or Oilers 7 game series

Please help me settle a bet. Who would win in a 7 game series granted fully healthy line ups?

I Hate Chris Butler 02-09-2013 01:27 AM

The Leafs.

KingKopitar11* 02-09-2013 01:27 AM

Leafs cause they are more solid of a team.

MastuhNinks 02-09-2013 01:45 AM

I mean, obviously you can't tell for sure, but the Leafs are better in every regard. Obviously Edmonton is strong with top-end offensive talent but as a whole I think the Leafs forward group is stronger right now. The Leafs have admittedly been struggling to score though so maybe you could give the nod to the Oilers there, but I still think the Leafs are the better overall team at the moment.

WalterHeisenberg 02-09-2013 02:20 AM

Leafs

Le Magnifique 66 02-09-2013 06:35 AM

Oilers but it's a 7 gamer

The Podium 02-09-2013 07:33 AM

Leafs depth will win against a single top line and Schultz. Obviously Edmonton is more star-studded but the leafs are more well rounded. It would be like a game in 7 between St. Louis and Washington (the not putrid Washington) in which St. Louis depth triumphs over Ovechkin, Backstrom and Alzner.

Soundwave 02-09-2013 07:37 AM

If Nugent Hopkins is healthy, I take the Oilers, but I don't know if he is right now (hasn't looked right, even at the World Juniors).

This might be close this year, but next season when Schultz and Yakupov have an NHL season (well half+) under their belt and another summer for the kids to mature physically the Oilers would pull away.

Just too much talent. I think Dubnyk is a bit better than Reimer also.

Edmonton would do better in the Eastern Conference, because it's a more uptempo, less grinding, less physical, style of game. Teams like Calgary, Minnesota, Vancouver, Phoenix, etc. are the ones that give the Oilers fits, they do better against the likes of Chicago (that can be baited into playing that Eastern Conference style) and the Habs.

I will say this though ... that would be a fun series to watch, moreso than a lot of the playoff match ups that do end up happening.

Great One 02-09-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Podium (Post 59339155)
Leafs depth will win against a single top line and Schultz. Obviously Edmonton is more star-studded but the leafs are more well rounded. It would be like a game in 7 between St. Louis and Washington (the not putrid Washington) in which St. Louis depth triumphs over Ovechkin, Backstrom and Alzner.

I'll admit that our team may not be as well rounded as the Leafs but the bolded comment is BS. If you watched even a single Oiler game this season you'd know that the Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky line has been our best line in just about every game played so far. Gagner is our leading point getter and Yakupov is our leading goal scorer and neither of these guys play on the top line. Also if you think J. Schultz is the only dman we got then you must never have watched Smid or Nick Schultz play before. Smid would be beast in the playoffs.

Ewan McGregor 02-09-2013 11:00 AM

Leafs. Sorry but that blueline is going to get wrecked by Leafs offense.

Leafs also has a better coach.

Oiled up* 02-09-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor (Post 59343851)

Yeah thats somewhat true but the leafs also have Reimer which imo can lose the series single handedly. Ralph Kreuger is no slouch and i believe he is doing a great job behind the Oilers bench, it would be a great series none the less.

Ewan McGregor 02-09-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle (Post 59344545)
Yeah thats somewhat true but the leafs also have Reimer which imo can lose the series single handedly. Ralph Kreuger is no slouch and i believe he is doing a great job behind the Oilers bench, it would be a great series none the less.

Did Dubnyk become a Vezina candidate all of a sudden? He's pretty much on the same category as Reimer.

FishManSam 02-09-2013 11:27 AM

Leafs.

Better defensively.

Even goaltending.

Slight edge to Oilers regarding offense.

Leafs physically.

It's a playoff series, the Leafs have begun to play more playoff style hockey, the Oilers play shiney.

Count Von Grabo* 02-09-2013 11:37 AM

Irrelevant.

Booyakasha 02-09-2013 11:37 AM

Oilers in 7.
better goaltending, and offence.
defence is a wash.

Oiled up* 02-09-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor (Post 59344703)
Did Dubnyk become a Vezina candidate all of a sudden? He's pretty much on the same category as Reimer.

No one said he is a vezina canidate at all, as of right now Dubnyk is playing better and is the better goaltender imo, defense is a wash too and we have the edge in offence... Oilers in 6.

Johnny Bravo 02-09-2013 11:52 AM

Oilers vs Leafs for the cup!

topchowda 02-09-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor (Post 59343851)

Yeah Kessel is really going to run wild

Do Make Say Think 02-09-2013 11:53 AM

Really depends on home ice: Toronto does not seem comfortable playing at home at all

Roof Daddy 02-09-2013 11:59 AM

Oil. More game breakers, better special teams (Oil 4th PP, 7th PK, TO 25th PP, 24th PK). We haven't had a chance to see Ebs in the playoffs, but I predict the clutch magic continues.

Oiled up* 02-09-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roof Daddy (Post 59346589)
Oil. More game breakers, better special teams (Oil 4th PP, 7th PK, TO 25th PP, 24th PK). We haven't had a chance to see Ebs in the playoffs, but I predict the clutch magic continues.

Not a stretch what so ever... it would be interesting to see how they manage the pressure playing in the playoffs, this year they seemed to respond pretty well with adversity and all. (albeit only 10 games in)

Mansfield 02-09-2013 12:18 PM

oilers have a special teams advantage....of late anyway.

would be close but I'd give it to the leafs this year.

Trafalgar Law 02-09-2013 12:19 PM

Oilers, if you ignore Dubnyk's game against San Jose, he'd actually be close to the top in every goaltending category, including tops in saves/shots against. Even with that game, he's been better than Reimer so far this season. Oilers have a slight advantage on offense thanks to a superior Powerplay, Leafs have a slight advantage on defense. For me, Dubnyk vs Reimer is the clincher here, as Dubnyk has been consistently good so far this season, whereas Reimer has been, well, enigmatic. Oh, and no it's not as big a gap on defence as people think, Justin Schultz has been a stud for us so far, and Nick Schultz, Smid, and Petry have been playing decently as well, now if only we could get someone to replace Whitney and Potter...

InjuredChoker 02-09-2013 12:27 PM

I think it could go either way.

Buckets and Gloves 02-09-2013 12:29 PM

Leafs/Oilers 7 Game Series??.... What is this "The Sacko Bowl"?