HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How overhyped and overrated are the Oilers this year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1345731)

The Last Dynasty 02-09-2013 03:59 PM

How overhyped and overrated are the Oilers this year?
 
Watching the game today and hearing Millen/Lee gushing about the "high-flying" Oilers got me wondering...do people in the East actually watch this team?

This team does not play "river hockey", they play a tight checking game
This team with supposed "elite talent" can't score

the OKC line was dubbed "nhl ready" and is awful time and time again...5 goals in 11 games is embarassing for a 1st line

putrid ES and on the dot

they've got 1 regulation win in 11 games...let that sink in

I wasn't buying the hype as I picked them 11th in the Western Conference

My question is...do you think they're reading the press clippings?

flashy 02-09-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty (Post 59368863)
Watching the game today and hearing Millen/Lee gushing about the "high-flying" Oilers got me wondering...do people in the East actually watch this team?

This team does not play "river hockey", they play a tight checking game
This team with supposed "elite talent" can't score

the OKC line was dubbed "nhl ready" and is awful time and time again...5 goals in 11 games is embarassing for a 1st line

putrid ES and on the dot

they've got 1 regulation win in 11 games...let that sink in

I wasn't buying the hype as I picked them 11th in the Western Conference

My question is...do you think they're reading the press clippings?

I predicted a bottom 5 finish. simply on the fact that all it takes is a team to play physical and this team falls like a house of cards.

Evander Kane,
Ryan Malone
Marty Reasoner

These are 3 players I WISH we could knab. :p:

Draw me an Elephant 02-09-2013 04:05 PM

I think you are being overly optimistic with predicting them 11th. Adding two rookies to the worst team in the league isn't going to make much of a difference. An AHL team with a couple of talented young kids isn't going to make the playoffs in the NHL. Until management changes this team can draft first overall every year and they will still never make the playoffs and they'll ruin the development of every young player along the way.

OILSLICK94 02-09-2013 04:08 PM

Damn right they read the press clippings, Major problem is there is not enough veterans on this team to slap some of the young guys "silly" and give there noodle a rattle......

This team is beyond frustrating, can't score a goal if there life depended on it.

1 EVEN STRENGTH win in 11 outings is PATHETIC........Personally can't believe we are were we are in the standings.

S.I. press clippings (adatar) putting the Oil 3rd in there preseason power rankings was the KISS of death. Kind of like being selected for the cover of S.I.

AlowlyOilersfan 02-09-2013 04:12 PM

Where's the fun in tempering your expectations?

Beerfish 02-09-2013 04:12 PM

If the oilers finish bottom three there would be no reason in the world not to clean house. We all know it will never happen because out owner doesn't care if we win as long as his kid can hang out with lowe and draft picks. I've never seen a management group get such a sheer and utter free ride from a group of fans and the media.

HallOfGreatness4 02-09-2013 04:15 PM

And it all starts with Hall. He is a mediocre player that can't score.

No longer believing that we will get it turned around. We are a failure until I say otherwise

Moonlapse Vertigo 02-09-2013 04:15 PM

This just displays that hockey pundits don't know what the **** they're talking about. They're taking a shot in the dark, just like the rest of us.

Tarus 02-09-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan (Post 59369695)
Where's the fun in tempering your expectations?

Yep

It's always good to keep the expectations high, and post like a suicidal drug addict when they get crushed.

The very essence of fun times.

AlowlyOilersfan 02-09-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarus (Post 59370085)
Yep

It's always good to keep the expectations high, and post like a suicidal drug addict when they get crushed.

The very essence of fun times.

This is Canada.

CorpseFX 02-09-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty (Post 59368863)
Watching the game today and hearing Millen/Lee gushing about the "high-flying" Oilers got me wondering...do people in the East actually watch this team?

This team does not play "river hockey", they play a tight checking game

looks like river hockey to me:
bunch of sloppy local bozo's throwing the puck away with comedic scoring chances for the other team. theyre also high-flying (outside of dudes like Smyth and Whitney who are glue factory candidates) - but can't think the game efficiently at that speed (throw the puck somewhere blindly. throw pucks into shin pads at top speed.)

this team has speed and finesse skill: they have poor IQ, slow decision speed, and dont adjust well to being in the "advantage" of game momentum because theyre too inexperienced to out think better teams.

its still going to be a slow process everyone.

2-3 years before any legit maturity of play here. the real work comes from Tambo creating a long term vision with QUALITY vets around the core of kids.

this team is definitely not ready for prime time.

Krueger: "stall here, stall there... no simple plays"

Beerfish 02-09-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarus (Post 59370085)
Yep

It's always good to keep the expectations high, and post like a suicidal drug addict when they get crushed.

The very essence of fun times.

I agree, much much better to keep expectations at a very very low level. As a matter of fact do this for year after year after year after year. It is for sure much more fun to think the oilers will be bottom 2 every year and then be happily surprised when they end up 5th from the bottom.

This is a loser team, a loser front office, a loser media and they have done a fin job of creating loser fans who are happy just to have a team it seems.

I know, I know.....you expect us to challenge for a playoff spot 'next year.'

0ilerman 02-09-2013 04:22 PM

The overhyping and overrating of this team came from the national media, and ridiculous betting odds that spiked just before the season started. Realist fans who have watched this team over the past 5 years couldn't have expected a huge difference from last year

Beerfish 02-09-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorpseFX (Post 59370339)
looks like river hockey to me:
bunch of sloppy local bozo's throwing the puck away with comedic scoring chances for the other team. theyre also high-flying (outside of dudes like Smyth and Whitney who are glue factory candidates) - but can't think the game efficiently at that speed (throw the puck somewhere blindly. throw pucks into shin pads at top speed.)

this team has speed and finesse skill: they have poor IQ, slow decision speed, and dont adjust well to being in the "advantage" of game momentum because theyre too inexperienced to out think better teams.

its still going to be a slow process everyone.

2-3 years before any legit maturity of play here. the real work comes from Tambo creating a long term vision with QUALITY vets around the core of kids.

2-3 more years. LOL If the team is not a sopild playoff team before then Tambo better have his assed kicked back to vancovuer.

Beerfish 02-09-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0ilerman (Post 59370379)
The overhyping and overrating of this team came from the national media, and ridiculous betting odds that spiked just before the season started. Realist fans who have watched this team over the past 5 years couldn't have expected a huge difference from last year

Bull. Look at the performance of hall eberle hopkins the addition of Schultz, gagner playing better. If we as fans don't expect the team to be much better than last year then as a group we should be calling for the heads of management that 2 years ago bleated that 'we will not be contention for a high pick again.'

AlowlyOilersfan 02-09-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0ilerman (Post 59370379)
The overhyping and overrating of this team came from the national media, and ridiculous betting odds that spiked just before the season started. Realist fans who have watched this team over the past 5 years couldn't have expected a huge difference from last year

With Yakupov, I was hoping for maybe an extra goal from the second line per game.

And to be fair, we've actually gotten some of that.

CorpseFX 02-09-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerfish (Post 59370437)
2-3 more years. LOL If the team is not a sopild playoff team before then Tambo better have his assed kicked back to vancovuer.

you really believe these kids maturity is ready for the playoffs this year? outside of Eberle and Shultz (who gets nice cushioned scoring space), the maturity of the other kids games is lacking hard. Hall is a reckless male bimbo. Yakupov is even more. RNH is in some one-gear/tunnel vision type game at the moment. he also needs to mature in size.

the structure of this teams play is atrocious game in and game out. its reactive, sloppy and slow developing. thats a sign of inexperience and playing scared.

the rest of the clowns on this team are "OK" NHL players to poor players. (outside of Smid on D and the goaltending)

Soundwave 02-09-2013 04:29 PM

If they lose tomorrow against Columbus, woo boy, it will be ugly on this board ...

Tarus 02-09-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerfish (Post 59370343)
I agree, much much better to keep expectations at a very very low level. As a matter of fact do this for year after year after year after year. It is for sure much more fun to think the oilers will be bottom 2 every year and then be happily surprised when they end up 5th from the bottom.

This is a loser team, a loser front office, a loser media and they have done a fin job of creating loser fans who are happy just to have a team it seems.

I know, I know.....you expect us to challenge for a playoff spot 'next year.'

Nah.

After being consistently disappointed with the world not ending when predicted, I just watch how things play out now.

I'll predict the Oilers will challenge for a playoff spot when they play the final game of a season with enough points to make the playoffs.

Meanashell11 02-09-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallOfGreatness4 (Post 59369891)
And it all starts with Hall. He is a mediocre player that can't score.

No longer believing that we will get it turned around. We are a failure until I say otherwise

I think you forgot this ==>:sarcasm:

dnicks17 02-09-2013 04:35 PM

It depends on who we're talking about.

We were definitely overhyped and overrated by the majority of the media. Calling us a sleeper, a play-off team, RNH a 100 point player, etc.

Posters on here were a lot more reasonable. The consensus in the "Where will the Oilers finish thread?" was around 11-13th in the West, I believe.

Chooch 02-09-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnicks17 (Post 59371117)
It depends on who we're talking about.

We were definitely overhyped and overrated by the majority of the media. Calling us a sleeper, a play-off team, RNH a 100 point player, etc.

Posters on here were a lot more reasonable. The consensus in the "Where will the Oilers finish thread?" was around 11-13th in the West, I believe.

Sports Ilustrated must be stunned with what their seeing by this team.

GreatKeith 02-09-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnicks17 (Post 59371117)
It depends on who we're talking about.

We were definitely overhyped and overrated by the majority of the media. Calling us a sleeper, a play-off team, RNH a 100 point player, etc.

Posters on here were a lot more reasonable. The consensus in the "Where will the Oilers finish thread?" was around 11-13th in the West, I believe.

TSN said 13th, Sportsnet said 11th.

dnicks17 02-09-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatKeith (Post 59371441)
TSN said 13th, Sportsnet said 11th.

I've lost count of how many times a panelist for both those stations called us a play-off team or a much improved team.

The Last Dynasty 02-09-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatKeith (Post 59371441)
TSN said 13th, Sportsnet said 11th.

every one in the Edmonton Sun and Oilersnation picked them to make it

everyone certainly thought goals wouldn't be a problem and they'd be an exciting team


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.