HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Joe Thorntons slump (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1345869)

Darth Yoda 02-09-2013 08:31 PM

Joe Thorntons slump

I have been bad at watching the games lately but am just wondering how he's been playing since he has zero points in the last five games.

couturefan39 02-09-2013 08:35 PM

The whole team can't finish right now.

They haven't scored since the first period of the Hawks game.

You're not going to win games if you fail to score a goal in 5 periods. Doug Wilson needs to acquire a goal scorer.

Led Zappa 02-09-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by couturefan39 (Post 59390575)
The whole team can't finish right now.

They haven't scored since the first period of the Hawks game.

You're not going to win games if you fail to score a goal in 5 periods. Doug Wilson needs to acquire a goal scorer.

Given this post your alias is quite ironic.

TheJuxtaposer 02-09-2013 08:43 PM

Shooting percentages from he, Marleau, Pavelski, and the PP in general are returning to earth. Joe also looks like he might have contracted Boyle's flu.

Led Zappa 02-09-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 59391795)
Shooting percentages from he, Marleau, Pavelski, and the PP in general are returning to earth. Joe also looks like he might have contracted Boyle's flu.

He looked lethargic. I think your right and don't expect it to continue. I'm not gonna criticize anyone right now until this passes. Out of 5 regular buddies I talk to at Sharks games 3 of them had the flu. In a locker room situation I have to believe it's going around bad.

Nighthock 02-09-2013 08:59 PM

this happens every year, yet he still gets around a PPG at year's end (usually)

Phu 02-09-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 59392653)
He looked lethargic. I think your right and don't expect it to continue. I'm not gonna criticize anyone right now until this passes. Out of 5 regular buddies I talk to at Sharks games 3 of them had the flu. In a locker room situation I have to believe it's going around bad.

I hope they sent the sickies into the opponents' locker room to cough on the benches and doors.

BCShark 02-10-2013 03:34 PM

mclellan never gets the most out of joe

Blades of Glory 02-10-2013 03:49 PM

Thornton wasn't great against Nashville, Chicago, or Anaheim, but he played really, really well yesterday. As did his entire line. Still, one must wonder why exactly Clowe and Marleau were swapped.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2013/2/10/...by-the-numbers

Clowe's inability to finish doomed the Sharks despite the fact that they, especially the top line, dominated the game. Marleau, on the other hand, was solid on the second line, but he did not get nearly as many scoring chances as he would playing on Thornton's wing. I dont' see the logic moving another slow pass-first player to the top line while moving a speedy goalscorer of Marleau's caliber to Logan Couture's line. Couture is a shoot-first player, as is Marleau. It made no sense to break up Thornton and Marleau just because they did not rack up points against three tough defensive teams.

But to go back to your original question, Thornton plays a much different role than he did in his early Shark years. His line plays the toughest minutes on the Sharks, and recently, McLellan has been matching Thornton up in the defensive zone against top centers. Considering that Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski has been the best line in the NHL since they were put together, facing the toughest minutes and out-chancing their opposition by a larger margin than any other line in the NHL, I do not understand why they were broken up because of three sub-par games against top defensive opposition.

ilikebigjoe 02-10-2013 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=Blades of Glory;59438987]Thornton wasn't great against Nashville, Chicago, or Anaheim, but he played really, really well yesterday. As did his entire line. Still, one must wonder why exactly Clowe and Marleau were swapped. [/B]

This. Couldn't agree more that he has looked awful last few games, but looked very good yesterday. The slump WILL end soon, hopefully tomorrow against the Jackets who play tonight and the Sharks are already there waiting. I know it wouldn't be the quickest line, but put Logan (who looks great to me...) on Joe's wing with Marty. 2nd line could be Patty, Pavs, anyone (I would say Clowe but he has been just awful aside from yesterday as well). We still miss that "Setoguchi" type speedy winger who CAN snipe goals on Thornton's wing. DW, its time.

PlaywithGutz 02-10-2013 04:30 PM

Wayyyy to much dependicy on JT to carry his line mates and this team.....

If you watch closely, anyone that plays on JT's line tries to get the puck on his stick waaaaay to much...PM can barely hold on to the puck in traffic...IMO his ability to stickhandle and hold the puck has gotten worse since JT's arrival....

its to bad that Marloo cant carry his own line b/c if he could JT could get matched up against 2nd line talent.....SJ really needs a 1-2 punch....

Mafoofoo 02-10-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaywithGutz (Post 59441327)
SJ really needs a 1-2 punch....

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski with Boyle followed by Sheppard-Couture-Havlat with Burns isn't?

BCShark 02-10-2013 06:03 PM

side question: who do you think would be the ideal winger for joe if you could pick anyone in the league?

TheJuxtaposer 02-10-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCShark (Post 59446457)
side question: who do you think would be the ideal winger for joe if you could pick anyone in the league?

Phil Kessel.

WTFetus 02-10-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Kessel then Neal.

SHAR KS 02-10-2013 06:31 PM

Clowe + Murray + 2nd for Kessel? Is Burke still in charge?

TheJuxtaposer 02-10-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posey (Post 59448629)
Clowe + Murray + 2nd for Kessel? Is Burke still in charge?

Not even remotely close at all.

SHAR KS 02-10-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 59449815)
Not even remotely close at all.

Ok i'll add Galiardi.

Pinkfloyd 02-10-2013 09:18 PM

If we want Kessel, we'll have to wait til the end of next season when he's unrestricted and wants to get the hell out of Toronto. Problem is, our team will be dramatically different by then so who knows if we'll be any better.

TheJuxtaposer 02-10-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posey (Post 59465589)
Ok i'll add Galiardi.

Negative value.

CommanderShepard15 02-10-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Bobby Ryan

Mafoofoo 02-10-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Ovechkin. Just have Joe do all the work and pass to him for the goal.

SHAR KS 02-10-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 59467507)
Negative value.

Hertl + Demers + 2013 1st?

Pinkfloyd 02-10-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mafoofoo (Post 59470509)
Ovechkin. Just have Joe do all the work and pass to him for the goal.

If you go out and get a shooter, you're only enabling Thornton to be the passer. That dynamic is just not going to work. The year Thornton decides to take the burden of scoring the goals himself and be the leader in that regard is the year that the Sharks win the Stanley Cup. Until then, Thornton's line eventually runs into a team good enough to defend that predictable setup and the supporting cast goes cold. It's the same story every year.

sjshark91 02-11-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Stamkos. Pure shooter has one of the best one-timers in the league right hand shot plays in tough areas.