HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Fights (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Is Brashear underrated? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1346133)

Montreal Shadow 02-09-2013 11:41 PM

Is Brashear underrated?

I understand he's almost never mentioned as one of the league's better fighter. Most likely because he lost one too many fights.

Was looking through some of his videos and are there other guys who can lay royal beatdown like he? Laraque is often mentioned as the best modern enforcer but he never really massacred someone like Brashear did.

He was pretty damn good but lost many fights. I believe one of the main reason is that he's really one that goes for the offensive. Other great heavyweights were far more conservative when they were losing and resorted to bear hugs a lot.

hitting hockey 04-01-2013 12:10 AM

no brashear was a legit enforcer. one of the better fights i have seen was joe patterson of the rangers vs nick fotiu of the flyers both were in a bearhug but patterson got a hand loose and hit fotiu in the back of the head at least 15 times. both patterson and fotiu are about as tough as brashear. but thats when hockey was hockey not the watered down version we get nowadays

Renner* 04-01-2013 12:36 AM

I dont think so. Anyone who saw him fight knew he one of the better heavyweights around. I know when i think of him I think tough SOB

AwaKe 04-01-2013 12:33 PM

Probably the 2nd best 87 to play the game.

Brashear's still fighting in local senior hockey. :laugh:

spacemunky 04-01-2013 08:48 PM

I dont remember seeing Brashear lose too many fights, other than the Belak one at the end of his career. I recall a pretty good beating he laid on Domi. I hated his hand dusting thing after though. Total lack of class.

budunkadunk 04-01-2013 10:30 PM

Brashear is an amazing fighter, he has many amazing scraps with other enforcers. He puts on an amazing show every time he drops the gloves

WildcatMapleLeafs28 04-01-2013 10:39 PM

No. We agree he's a good NHL scrapper but he's also a disrespectful piece of ****. Look at what kind of dirty stunts he's pulled off in the LNAH. :shakehead One of my favorite all-time fights is the one where he turtles against Domi or gets KOed by Belak!

Psycho Papa Joe 04-02-2013 07:01 AM

Huggy bear when he's losing and goes nuts when he had the advantage. Good fighter, but a disrespectful turd.

IComeInPeace 04-02-2013 11:07 AM

You may not like his style, or his personality, but looking at his card, and how long he was at or near the top, he's one of the NHL's all time great fighters.

I think he was a headcase, and didn't like his style,but there is no doubt Brashear is on par with the very elite fighters of all time (Probert, Wilson, Brwon etc...).

Take away his brutal start to his career with the Habs, and he was otherwise always one of the top fighters in each of his subsequent NHL seasons (with the exception of his final season).
That's 12 seasons in a row where he could be considered at or near the top. How many guys can say that?

Twister18 04-02-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe (Post 63003371)
Huggy bear when he's losing and goes nuts when he had the advantage. Good fighter, but a disrespectful turd.

Very good description Papa. I have heard him called Huggy Bear alot. One of the strongest left handed power shots in the game, he disappointed a lot of fight fans with picking his spots to drop the gloves and with whom. He does have a good fight card but could have been better. Not a bad player as well.

Beville 04-02-2013 02:56 PM

Phenomenal fighter, but dirty.

hitting hockey 04-03-2013 12:23 AM

to rate a enforcer you have to ask yourself was he willing to take on anyone.jeff chycrun of flyers was the only player i have seen in the n.h.l ever to pick a fight with barry beck most players stayed away from beck. some other notable tough guys. bob gassoff stl. randy holt l.a bob battleship kelly. pit. john kordic mtl

Montreal Shadow 04-03-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twister18 (Post 63014213)
Very good description Papa. I have heard him called Huggy Bear alot. One of the strongest left handed power shots in the game, he disappointed a lot of fight fans with picking his spots to drop the gloves and with whom. He does have a good fight card but could have been better. Not a bad player as well.

Picking his spots? He fought guys like Chara, Laraque, Belak. How was he picking his spots? He was willing to go against anybody. As for the dirty part, can't say I disagree.

Joey24 04-03-2013 05:28 PM

He's defiantly one of the best all time enforcers, dirty but so were/are most of them. He probably hung around for a bit too long but in his prime I don't think there was anyone better at doing what he did including Tie for those leaf fans.

Hasbro 04-03-2013 06:00 PM

He was the king of getting the other enforcer to drop the gloves and backing out so he'd get a penalty.

Avoided Parker in favor of Greg DeVries too much.

Trognitz 04-03-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitting hockey (Post 63103471)
to rate a enforcer you have to ask yourself was he willing to take on anyone.jeff chycrun of flyers was the only player i have seen in the n.h.l ever to pick a fight with barry beck most players stayed away from beck. some other notable tough guys. bob gassoff stl. randy holt l.a bob battleship kelly. pit. john kordic mtl

lean towards the oldsters i see. Kordic in his prime was an animal. took a narrow win over minor league legend Val James. :handclap:

Boris Le Tigre 04-04-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey24 (Post 63198795)
He's defiantly one of the best all time enforcers, dirty but so were/are most of them. He probably hung around for a bit too long but in his prime I don't think there was anyone better at doing what he did including Tie for those leaf fans.

this...

also... he is getting besmirched in this thread so I would like to point out that I met Brash as a young lad when he was coming up in the NHL... me and a buddy at a local video rental place... he was great... hamming it up with us, put my buddy in a headlock and such.... left a lasting and good impression.

i would also say he was the first guy on the ice / last guy off and would have skated through downtown Kabul to get to the NHL if he must...

WildcatMapleLeafs28 04-04-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow (Post 63113667)
Picking his spots? He fought guys like Chara, Laraque, Belak. How was he picking his spots? He was willing to go against anybody. As for the dirty part, can't say I disagree.

How'd he make out ?? Belak's KO on him was epic and my favorite fight of all time.

Hockeypete49 04-04-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow (Post 59405333)
I understand he's almost never mentioned as one of the league's better fighter. Most likely because he lost one too many fights.

Was looking through some of his videos and are there other guys who can lay royal beatdown like he? Laraque is often mentioned as the best modern enforcer but he never really massacred someone like Brashear did.

He was pretty damn good but lost many fights. I believe one of the main reason is that he's really one that goes for the offensive. Other great heavyweights were far more conservative when they were losing and resorted to bear hugs a lot.

He was tough but a buddy of mine fought him three times and beat him twice with one bout even when they were in the minors.

IComeInPeace 04-05-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 63307229)
He was tough but a buddy of mine fought him three times and beat him twice with one bout even when they were in the minors.

Are you talking about the AHL, when Brashear still had a lot to learn, or the LNAH?

What was your buddies name? He must have been a tough kid!

IComeInPeace 04-05-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 (Post 63301067)
How'd he make out ?? Belak's KO on him was epic and my favorite fight of all time.

Belak got him good, but Brashear was on a pretty rapid decline around that time.
Brash finished his career with 3 wins vs Belak vs 2 losses.

hitting hockey 04-05-2013 11:55 PM

error

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitting hockey (Post 63103471)

i made a mistake:rant:it was behn wilson of the flyers that picked a fight with barry beck. not chycrun. i did not want to give the wrong player the credit.but chycrun was a tough player too. bob battleship kelly was rumored to be 25-0 in fights in the minors +n.h.l and one player legend dave schultz was a afraid of