HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alex Pietrangelo not a lock for Team Canada in Sochi? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1346549)

Puckgenius* 02-10-2013 12:15 PM

Alex Pietrangelo not a lock for Team Canada in Sochi?

According to TSN hes not, they were giving list of what players would be locks for next TC and the only 4 dmen were Weber, Doughty, Letang and Keith. You think any chance AP doesnt make the club? I would think he would be a lock.

dan1el 02-10-2013 01:32 PM

Ridiculous. Pietrangelo is the top Canadian defender at the moment IMO. He'll be there.

leafsfuture 02-10-2013 02:04 PM

^^
This.

And his international pedigree speaks for itself. World Junior and World Championship Top Defenceman in consecutive years

Quarter 02-10-2013 02:40 PM

The only way he misses out is to injury.

IMO, the only defensive locks are Letang, Weber and Pietro. That being said, it's safe to assume one of Keith/Doughty will be there as well.

Mr Writer 02-10-2013 02:50 PM

He's a lock in my book, but the fine folks at Hockey Canada have been smoking some real wacky sh** lately, and who knows what the ****** they'll come up with... after last year's WHC there were some in the inner corridor's of HC who were all hard for Jay Bouwmeester and seriously floated out the idea that he was a real candidate for one of the 7 spots.

JackSlater 02-10-2013 02:53 PM

Weber is a lock due to his pedigree and his excellent play in 2010. Keith and Doughty are also locks, as they too were great in 2010 and are both great skaters. Pietrangelo is outplaying them all right now, was tremendous last year, has always done well internationally and has a game suited to international ice and rules. He should be as big a lock as anyone on defence.

Ryker 02-10-2013 02:55 PM

The Olympics are in 2014. The year 2013 has just begun. You're talking about someone who's in his third full NHL season. What am I missing?

JackSlater 02-10-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Writer (Post 59436175)
He's a lock in my book, but the fine folks at Hockey Canada have been smoking some real wacky sh** lately, and who knows what the ****** they'll come up with... after last year's WHC there were some in the inner corridor's of HC who were all hard for Jay Bouwmeester and seriously floated out the idea that he was a real candidate for one of the 7 spots.

How do you know this?

Mr Writer 02-10-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackSlater (Post 59436613)
How do you know this?

What, that they smoke some **** at HC?

Or the comments about JB? It was said in a radio interview by a journalist in Calgary, regular hockey analyst and well connected to HC. I heard the interview myself with the journalist, so it's not something I heard from somebody who heard something or may have heard it from somebody else...

I heard it with my own ears. And remember it was last spring, after the WHC in May. It was said by Hockey Canada people. Not sure the journalist was referring to Stevie Y. I doubt very much it was Stevie Y.

JackSlater 02-10-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Writer (Post 59436767)
What, that they smoke some **** at HC?

Or the comments about JB? It was said in a radio interview by a journalist in Calgary, regular hockey analyst and well connected to HC. I heard the interview myself with the journalist, so it's not something I heard from somebody who heard something or may have heard it from somebody else...

I heard it with my own ears. And remember it was last spring, after the WHC in May. It was said by Hockey Canada people. Not sure the journalist was referring to Stevie Y. I doubt very much it was Stevie Y.

Fair enough, Bouwmeester wasn't bad last spring. Obviously Pietrangelo is at least one tier above.

coursy17 02-11-2013 12:48 AM

Keith Doughty Pietrangelo Letang Weber will all be there guarantee'd (unless injury). Seabrook, M.Staal Myers Boyle Del Zotto Campbell Girardi Subban all left to fight over the final two spots.
In my Opinion Boyle brings a nice offensive output, veteran leadership, experience, and speed and skill to the big ice. and M.Staal is probably the best shutdown defenseman in the league so they would be my other 2. But we'll see what stevie Y does

couture23 02-12-2013 02:01 PM

If he's not there, Hockey Canada will be making mistakes like 2006 all over again.

PaulieVegas 03-13-2013 03:21 PM

Because of Canada's depth on the blue line, I don't think any defensemen can be considered a lock, except maybe Weber. We're talking about a country that had the luxury of leaving guys like Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Campbell, and Green at home. How sick is that?

JackSlater 03-13-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulieVegas (Post 61586801)
Because of Canada's depth on the blue line, I don't think any defensemen can be considered a lock, except maybe Weber. We're talking about a country that had the luxury of leaving guys like Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Campbell, and Green at home. How sick is that?

You have a strong point when it comes to people proclaiming Player X a lock, and I am guilty of it myself. Pietrangelo is one example, though I still consider him extremely likely to make the team, it really can't be said that he's as likely as Weber. Giroux and Eberle are other examples, with lots of people proclaiming them locks last spring. This year, they aren't guaranteed picks anymore, which presumably a lock would be.

OttawaRoughRiderFan 03-13-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulieVegas (Post 61586801)

The day we send Phaneuf or Green is the day I stop watching hockey AND STOP BEING CANADIAN.

:(

Cory Trevor 03-13-2013 06:02 PM

The only locks as far as I'm concerned for Canada are Weber, Crosby, Stamkos, and probably Toews because he was unbelievable last time and to me, he's the heart and sole of Canadian hockey. If someone were to leave him off of the list of locks I wouldn't be heartbroken though.

95 percenters

Tavares
Keith
Giroux

then everyone else

SB164 03-15-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Trevor (Post 61594565)
The only locks as far as I'm concerned for Canada are Weber, Crosby, Stamkos, and probably Toews because he was unbelievable last time and to me, he's the heart and sole of Canadian hockey. If someone were to leave him off of the list of locks I wouldn't be heartbroken though.

95 percenters

Tavares
Keith
Giroux

then everyone else

I'd add Getzlaf and Perry to the list of 95 percenters.

Cory Trevor 03-15-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB164 (Post 61696731)
I'd add Getzlaf and Perry to the list of 95 percenters.

With they year they are having now? Yes. A bit scary considering they were both in contract years. It's irrelevant though, as they both are previous olympians.

rocketxav9 03-20-2013 02:25 PM

not sure why doughty should be a lock before pietrangelo

UsernameWasTaken 03-29-2013 12:07 AM

Keep in mind this is Hockey Canada we're talking about...so let's not let logic get in the way of our speculation about what they'll do :shakehead

Pietro should be there...but who knows.

Atas2000 03-29-2013 11:11 AM

He's having a rough year. even STL fans admit Shattenkirk is their best D-men now.

I wonder how it pans out. Not only with Pietrangelo. Keith is having a second rough season in a row. All of course by their standards.

Cory Trevor 03-29-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketxav9 (Post 62042387)
not sure why doughty should be a lock before pietrangelo

All the BS aside, I would put Doughty above Pietrangelo and I loathe Doughty. Yes, I know he has the pedigree and all of that and Doughty takes a lot of heat but he's been the better player year in year out, since Pietrangelo came into the league.

Doughty was there in 2011, is extremely mobile himself, and has won everything under the sun.