HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Why can't the Leafs get over the hump at home? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1346591)

HookeyPlayer 02-10-2013 01:01 PM

Why can't the Leafs get over the hump at home?

Don Cherry mentioned yesterday that the fan support at the ACC is lacking, and that it is the main reason for the Leaf's poor home record.

He mentioned how fans were doing "Go Jays Go" chants also. Wonder if he has a point as Im pretty sure the payroll of the other 2 major sports teams is higher than the Leafs (think the Raptors also have a player with the highest salary in the city).

Though the Leafs are playing well, I think their record should be better than it is right now. Just hope they don't become one of those teams that can't play well at home and the road.

Winreims 02-10-2013 01:04 PM

I don't know what it is, but I don't buy the theory that it's because the building is "quiet". The Bell Centre was quiet as **** last night and we killed them. Not sure why we can't win at home..

hockeygeek 02-10-2013 01:06 PM

What Don said

Lebanese Leaf 02-10-2013 01:11 PM

We're not that bad at home, and we're not this good on the road (I think we're a great road team, but not .857 win pct good). I expect a regression to the mean soon enough. And I expect, or at least would hope, that the ACC is bumping tomorrow against Philly in what should be a physical game, including the return of Schenn, with the Leafs riding a 3 game win streak.

Everlong 02-10-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winreims (Post 59429417)
I don't know what it is, but I don't buy the theory that it's because the building is "quiet". The Bell Centre was quiet as **** last night and we killed them. Not sure why we can't win at home..

Well, we didn't really allow them to gain any momentum. That building is notorious for being one of the loudest in the league. We've seen it too many times in the past. When the fans get riled up, it goes straight to their legs and gives them a nice energy boost. Something I'd like to see and hear at the ACC soon. Fans can blame the product all they want, but it's the fans that create noise. Stop being stubborn and get loud.

Leafs For Life* 02-10-2013 01:26 PM

We have won at ACC once, but just give the first row to diehard fans holding a contest for who has the best Leafs house/memorabilia (sp)

leafspring* 02-10-2013 01:32 PM

The fans there suck. The old Gardens had character fans right up front row rockin the joint just like the nosebleeds.I just think these fans suck.absolute worst ever fans in leaf history,and its pathetic.

leafs1habs0 02-10-2013 01:34 PM

They will. Starting tomorrow against Philly. I can feel it. I actually wish they were playing the Bruins instead - yesterday was a watershed moment.

leafspring* 02-10-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaffan16 (Post 59430779)
We have won at ACC once, but just give the first row to diehard fans holding a contest for who has the best Leafs house/memorabilia (sp)

Kick them stiffs out of the front is friggin right.

MeowLeafs 02-10-2013 01:36 PM

Small sample size.

leafspring* 02-10-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowLeafs (Post 59431273)
Small sample size.

You talkin bout the front row fans heart/love of the game?

zeke 02-10-2013 01:40 PM

it's just a mental/confidence block at this point. they just plain get nervous at home, especially when they get a lead.

a few more confidence builders like this habs game should help them get over the hump at home.

Aplayaz2000 02-10-2013 01:44 PM

because the fans at the ACC are some what meh

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeke (Post 59431489)
it's just a mental/confidence block at this point. they just plain get nervous at home, especially when they get a lead.

compared to fans at other places like Buffalo or Ottawa
i mean you can just sense how scared they are of losing

think on the PP they were like shoot
well, let them PASS AROUND IMPATIENT ****ER

it's that **** that pisses me off
less pressure AWAY

RealisticLeaf55 02-10-2013 01:49 PM

We need fans that cheer every time Kessel and Phaneuf touch the puck. Or when Reimer makes a huge save the building roars. We also need to boo the other teams captain and jeer their goalie. We need to make the ACC our building again.

BayStBullies 02-10-2013 02:22 PM

They haven't faced the Habs at home yet; those will be easy wins.

Winreims 02-10-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 (Post 59432041)
We also need to boo the other teams captain and jeer their goalie.

That stuff ALWAYS comes back to bite the Jets at MTS centre.

colchar 02-10-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winreims (Post 59429417)
I don't know what it is, but I don't buy the theory that it's because the building is "quiet". The Bell Centre was quiet as **** last night and we killed them.

Huh?

Cherry was referring to the building not being loud in support of the team and you come back with the Bell Centre being quiet? That actually supports Cherry's claim - that a quiet building does not help the home team whereas a loud, raucous crowd does.

colchar 02-10-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf (Post 59429823)
and we're not this good on the road

Their record says different.

Quote:

(I think we're a great road team, but not .857 win pct good).

What you think doesn't mean squat - all that matters is their actual record.

colchar 02-10-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leafspring (Post 59431067)
The fans there suck. The old Gardens had character fans right up front row rockin the joint just like the nosebleeds.I just think these fans suck.absolute worst ever fans in leaf history,and its pathetic.

And there is nothing we can do about it.

cup67 02-10-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer (Post 59429267)
Don Cherry mentioned yesterday that the fan support at the ACC is lacking, and that it is the main reason for the Leaf's poor home record.

He mentioned how fans were doing "Go Jays Go" chants also. Wonder if he has a point as Im pretty sure the payroll of the other 2 major sports teams is higher than the Leafs (think the Raptors also have a player with the highest salary in the city).

Though the Leafs are playing well, I think their record should be better than it is right now. Just hope they don't become one of those teams that can't play well at home and the road.

no emotion in that building, its like playing in an empty building.
to many suits

Urban Explorer* 02-10-2013 02:47 PM

SMALL SAMPLE SIZE.

Cmon peeps

Just like I won't say we're road warriors, we aren't crap at home either. SMALL Sample size lalalaa

Brewsky 02-10-2013 02:49 PM

You are doing your job in front of a suit who barely yells. Imagine you doing your job with a guy in a suit constantly over you and not cheering. Now imagine you doing your job and a person with your jersey is cheering you on.

Big difference. **** THE SUITS! You guys are a bunch of no good arse holes.

ToneBone03 02-10-2013 02:51 PM

Three words: too many suits. A lot of the people at games are too busy on their cell phones wheelin' and dealin' to pay attention to the game. Yes, I know they're essential, blah blah blah...but they're the reason the fans at the ACC, for the most part, suck.

Stephen 02-10-2013 02:53 PM

Stage fright, since the team got a lot of abuse last year when they went in the tank.

Erdinger 02-10-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewsky (Post 59436137)
You are doing your job in front of a suit who barely yells. Imagine you doing your job with a guy in a suit constantly over you and not cheering. Now imagine you doing your job and a person with your jersey is cheering you on.

Big difference. **** THE SUITS! You guys are a bunch of no good arse holes.

A lot of the "suits" are probably out of town clients/executives who are either taken to the game or given the corporate tickets. I doubt many of them are Leafs(or for that matter NHL)fans so it's not hard to see why they don't get that excited. It would be better if they stayed in the corporate boxes where they could ocassionally look up at the TV's.