HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Paul Martin's play makes front page of ESPN (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1346629)

ColePens 02-10-2013 01:49 PM

Paul Martin's play makes front page of ESPN

Article: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/89...ed-easy-option
Quote:

PITTSBURGH -- At the end of last season, Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero invited defenseman Paul Martin into his office.

With Martin sitting across from him, Shero asked a simple question: Do you want out?

Was the abomination that was Martin's season so brutal that he would appreciate a new start somewhere else?

"I asked him if he wanted a trade," Shero told ESPN.com this week.

These are the moments that define a person, a career even. In some ways, they define a franchise too.

Martin, signed to a five-year, $25-million deal in the summer of 2010, could not have been blamed if he said, "Yes, get me the heck out of here."

Fans were certainly clamoring for just such a move throughout the season as the mistakes piled up and Martin's play worsened.

"He was embarrassed by his year," Shero said.

Good read and I think it's finally time we give him props for his play so far this season.

Fire Shero* 02-10-2013 01:57 PM

Thanks ginger for playing like a guy who should be earning $2.5-$3 million this season instead of a guy who should helave earned league minimum last year.

I guess michalek answered yes when asked if he wanted out of pittsburgh?

DeadGator401 02-10-2013 02:05 PM

Martin has been fantastic this season.
Martin-Orpik Shutdown lines
Engo - Bort Mean, grit.
Letang-niskanen Mobility, offense, good 2 way play

Then, there's despres, Reese, and maybe morrow who can all step in.

Pens have a plethora of defensemen. good problem to have.

Ogrezilla 02-10-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Wingers (Post 59432487)
Thanks ginger for playing like a guy who should be earning $2.5-$3 million this season instead of a guy who should helave earned league minimum last year.

Martin is earning every cent of his contract this year

Zatch88 02-10-2013 02:11 PM

its cool to see him totally turn around his game after last year. Lets hope it lasts.

Darth Vitale 02-10-2013 02:13 PM

One of the few times you'll see a big money player like that refuse a trade after a couple lousy seasons and then literally turn his game completely around the next season. Good for him. Glad he proved us all wrong. Or most of us. There weren't too many people cheering to keep Martin last deadline / summer.

Big McLargehuge 02-10-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Ugh.

Martin has been phenomenal this year. It's great to finally see him play up to his capabilities.

ColePens 02-10-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Disagree about him only playing like a 3m player. That's not true at all.

Agree on the second part. Interesting to see that took place and I wouldn't put it past him saying he wanted to leave.

Ogrezilla 02-10-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 59433817)
One of the few times you'll see a big money player like that refuse a trade after a couple lousy seasons and then literally turn his game completely around the next season. Good for him. Glad he proved us all wrong. Or most of us. There weren't too many people cheering to keep Martin last deadline / summer.

http://i.imgur.com/wFqCA.gif

Darth Vitale 02-10-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 59433995)
Disagree about him only playing like a 3m player. That's not true at all.

Agree on the second part. Interesting to see that took place and I wouldn't put it past him saying he wanted to leave.

I think McGuire or someone at the draft last year said Michalek asked for a trade, but I can't remember who exactly. He clearly wanted out; that was not a hockey trade by any stretch. Ray just wanted him out to clear space for this year.

Darth Vitale 02-10-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 59434113)

I take it you were one of the chosen few. Joe shall bless you and your progeny for a dozen generations.

Zero Pucks 02-10-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

I think you're pretty clueless.

There were some rumors that Michalek wanted out, so he probably said yes.

Frederick Stanley 02-10-2013 02:20 PM

Are GMs supposed to ask players if they want a trade? Good for Martin to turn it around this year, but it is a bit odd by Shero in my opionion.

ah lol forgot about the NMC.

Sideline 02-10-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley (Post 59434331)
Are GMs supposed to ask players if they want a trade? Good for Martin to turn it around this year, but it is a bit odd by Shero in my opionion.

Both Martin and Michalek were UFAs that decided to come to Pittsburgh. You asks those two so Corey Perry and Jarome Iginla know you wont screw them over if they decide to come to Pittsburgh.

STLPensFan 02-10-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 59432057)
Article: [url]
I think it's finally time we give him props for his play so far this season.

/sticktap

As someone who got on the MartinHate Express, I'm glad to see him turn things around early on. Let's hope he keeps it up all season and throughout the playoffs.

Darth Vitale 02-10-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's that uncommon... GMs sometimes talk to players whether they have a NMC or not, in advance of trying to trade them. It depends on who it is and the situation but to the player I'm sure they feel it's a sign of respect, so not a bad thing / nothing too odd IMO. Better than than being ambushed.

Frederick Stanley 02-10-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 59434673)
I don't think it's that uncommon... GMs sometimes talk to players whether they have a NMC or not, in advance of trying to trade them. It depends on who it is and the situation but to the player I'm sure they feel it's a sign of respect, so not a bad thing / nothing too odd IMO. Better than than being ambushed.

but what if the player simply says no, and you trade him anyway?

Zero Pucks 02-10-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Not every GM operates like Paul Holmgren.

Ogrezilla 02-10-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley (Post 59434775)
but what if the player simply says no, and you trade him anyway?

You probably don't ask them if you don't care what they say :laugh: maybe ask if they can give you a reason you shouldn't trade them instead in that situation and see if they can convince you

Jesus Vitale 02-10-2013 02:39 PM

i've been saying since after the Pens were knocked out of the playoffs that Shero wasn't going to panic and trade him or buy him out.

he's been solid for all of his career, he just had a bad year. it happens.

glad Shero didn't panic and leave us with half our D being rookies or finding some completely mediocre D-man in FA to replace him.

Ogrezilla 02-10-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 (Post 59435579)
i've been saying since after the Pens were knocked out of the playoffs that Shero wasn't going to panic and trade him or buy him out.

he's been solid for all of his career, he just had a bad year. it happens.

glad Shero didn't panic and leave us with half our D being rookies or finding some completely mediocre D-man in FA to replace him.

Bryan freaking Allen.

JTG 02-10-2013 02:57 PM

Great story, and I think that article states what a few of us were saying. This team was trying to make the guy something he wasn't. He's not a guy who is going to carry an offensive load. He's not a guy who is going to run someone through the boards. People can try to justify a 5 million dollar salary in many ways, but the way I look at it, if some guy is making 5 million per season, he better lead your team in ice time and be out there in every situation. Paul is this year, and it's great to see.

eXile59 02-10-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 59434187)
I think McGuire or someone at the draft last year said Michalek asked for a trade, but I can't remember who exactly. He clearly wanted out; that was not a hockey trade by any stretch. Ray just wanted him out to clear space for this year.

I think the rumor started with Madden actually. It was that Michalek wasn't happy with the criticism he was taking from fans & media.

I think Shero has his weaknesses especially when it comes to accepting European players but I love how he handles them. To sit down & go "Do you really want to be here because I can't tell" to some high priced guys is ballsy.

JTG 02-10-2013 03:43 PM

It's a good way to do business, and I think Shero is a lot more forward and direct than many of us even realize. I've sort of gathered that from some of the answers he's given in some interviews.

We are a team looking to win now. No reason to keep players in the fold who don't want to be a part of that.

12IsGreaterThan47 02-10-2013 03:47 PM

If Paul Martin plays at his current pace for the entire season and was then paid based on that production, he'd get more than 5MM. (25+ minutes per game, 41pts, shutdown defender). Suggesting he's worth 3.5mm is insanity.