HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Who sits when Booth/Kesler arrive? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1346745)

ZenMaster* 02-10-2013 03:40 PM

Who sits when Booth/Kesler arrive?
 
Before the season started I would have figured the line-up would be set with the Luongo + pieces traded. Now it looks like Canucks have too much depth that must facilitate a trade.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Hansen-Lapierre-Wiese

Malhotra? Raymond? Volapatti?

These three players are needed and are NHL regulars that don't normally spend a lot of time in the press box as someone like Ebbett would. It will be interesting to see how the situation is managed, Malhotra is needed for his faceoffs, Raymond is on a tear, and Volpatti is playing his role to a tee which is critical for a 4th line.

Royal Canuck 02-10-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenMaster (Post 59438571)
Before the season started I would have figured the line-up would be set with the Luongo + pieces traded. Now it looks like Canucks have too much depth that must facilitate a trade.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Hansen-Lapierre-Wiese

Malhotra? Raymond? Volapatti?

These three players are needed and are NHL regulars that don't normally spend a lot of time in the press box as someone like Ebbett would. It will be interesting to see how the situation is managed, Malhotra is needed for his faceoffs, Raymond is on a tear, and Volpatti is playing his role to a tee which is critical for a 4th line.

Slot in Raymond on the 3rd line with Schroeder and Higgins, then we have Malhotra and Volpatti in the press box.

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Weise - Lapierre - Hansen

That's my line-up if I'm AV. Solid lines with both speed, skill and grit on every line.

That or we send Schroeder back to Chicago, bump Lappy to the 3rd line and give Manny the 4th Line center duties.

OgoBoHo 02-10-2013 03:46 PM

Don't see why Raymond would be considered an outsider in the Canucks lineup right now considering his chemistry with Schroeder. As much as I like Malhotra, and I like how useful he is for faceoffs and PK situations, he is a very expensive thirteenth forward. I would love to have Volpatti and Weise with Lapierre on the fourth line regularly though.

These are problems you love to have.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Weise
Volpatti
Malhotra
Ebbett

Sidenote: You have Hansen in the lineup twice, but honey badger don't care.

keslerburrows 02-10-2013 04:11 PM

I hope Malhotra sits with Volpatti or Weise being the other forward out of the lineup depending on who is playing better/worse.

Smokey McCanucks 02-10-2013 04:14 PM

Most likely there'll be more injuries down the line, but I think that Wiese and Volpatti are the likely press-box guys. It's also possible Schroeder goes back down. Malhotra we need for faceoffs and PK, he won't sit.

Mr. Canucklehead 02-10-2013 04:16 PM

With both healthy...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Malhotra

Roll four lines, all of those are solid.

Finkle is Einhorn 02-10-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 59440549)
With both healthy...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Malhotra

Roll four lines, all of those are solid.

Yep, this one please. At least try it.

racerjoe 02-10-2013 04:28 PM

I think the problem becomes who gets sent down? We still need to send two players to the wolves, and the only player I know that can avoid waviers is Schreoder. So what does the team do? still a chance at losing one player, and a good chance at losing two is JS stays.

Mr. Canucklehead 02-10-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerjoe (Post 59441209)
I think the problem becomes who gets sent down? We still need to send two players to the wolves, and the only player I know that can avoid waviers is Schreoder. So what does the team do? still a chance at losing one player, and a good chance at losing two is JS stays.

If Schroeder maintains his solid play, it will make waiving a guy like Ebbett that much easier. (Ebbett is the logical choice, IMO - we would still have Weise and Volpatti up as extra forwards/injury relief)

Free Kassian 02-10-2013 04:32 PM

As much as I don't care for Raymond, he's got a permanent slot as a top-9 forward on this team.

I reckon either Weise or Volpatti (or both, given neither can take faceoffs) will be sent to the bench when Booth and Kesler return. Leave Manny in to take faceoffs and play sparingly on the PK and either try to sneak Ebbett through waivers or trade him to somewhere that will allow him to get a fair shake.

Tiranis 02-10-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 59441313)
If Schroeder maintains his solid play, it will make waiving a guy like Ebbett that much easier. (Ebbett is the logical choice, IMO - we would still have Weise and Volpatti up as extra forwards/injury relief)

Still have to send down one of Weise and Volpatti since we have 2 players coming back. So Ebbett + Weise/Volpatti. I'm guessing they'll send down Volpatti since he's a marginal AHL contributor and is old enough that he doesn't have much NHL potential at this point. I'm sure somebody would grab Weise (and he's better anyway).

vadim sharifijanov 02-10-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranis (Post 59441585)
Still have to send down one of Weise and Volpatti since we have 2 players coming back. So Ebbett + Weise/Volpatti. I'm guessing they'll send down Volpatti since he's a marginal AHL contributor and is old enough that he doesn't have much NHL potential at this point. I'm sure somebody would grab Weise (and he's better anyway).

i think barker is gone, no question. if he clears, then great. if he doesn't, who cares? you can pick up a better 8th D at the deadline for peanuts. if a D gets hurt during the regular season, call up a young guy. would be good for k-con or whomever to get a taste of big league action anyway.

for the other guy, you either dump ebbett, who is completely useless (i.e., i can see no situation where we'd put him into the lineup now that AV would rather go with burr out of position), or if you really have to stash manny in the minors with the understanding among the coaching staff, the guys on the team, and manny himself that he's back up as soon as the playoffs start.


as for who sits, two of manny/weise/volpatti on any given night.

JerkChicken 02-10-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranis (Post 59441585)
Still have to send down one of Weise and Volpatti since we have 2 players coming back. So Ebbett + Weise/Volpatti. I'm guessing they'll send down Volpatti since he's a marginal AHL contributor and is old enough that he doesn't have much NHL potential at this point. I'm sure somebody would grab Weise (and he's better anyway).

10000% agree.

Best case scenario: Volpatti clears waivers

Worst case scenario: Volpatti gets picked up by another team... and some time down the road, the Canucks go look for another 4th line tough guy if they feel the need.

Volpatti is the most easily replaceable of the bunch.

Tiranis 02-10-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov (Post 59441683)
i think barker is gone, no question. if he clears, then great. if he doesn't, who cares? you can pick up a better 8th D at the deadline for peanuts. if a D gets hurt during the regular season, call up a young guy. would be good for k-con or whomever to get a taste of big league action anyway.

for the other guy, you either dump ebbett, who is completely useless (i.e., i can see no situation where we'd put him into the lineup now that AV would rather go with burr out of position), or if you really have to stash manny in the minors with the understanding among the coaching staff, the guys on the team, and manny himself that he's back up as soon as the playoffs start.


as for who sits, two of manny/weise/volpatti on any given night.

We'll see, but I don't think AV has ever carried 14 forwards, has he?

Free Kassian 02-10-2013 04:44 PM

Not trying to rip on the guy because he serves a (marginal) purpose as a 4th line tough guy, but Volpatti's overall skill level is pretty shockingly low for an NHL player. Weise is miles ahead of him and he'll struggle to ever put up double-digit points in a full NHL season. He's easily replaced.

Wizeman* 02-10-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerjoe (Post 59441209)
I think the problem becomes who gets sent down? We still need to send two players to the wolves, and the only player I know that can avoid waviers is Schreoder. So what does the team do? still a chance at losing one player, and a good chance at losing two is JS stays.

Just stop it Joe. Your Schroeder hate is getting old.

Ebbet is definitely the odd man out but if there is no injury and needs to be 2 , then I would pick to expose Volpatti and keep Weise.

Tiranis 02-10-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizeman (Post 59443305)
Just stop it Joe. Your Schroeder hate is getting old.

Ebbet is definitely the odd man out but if there is no injury and needs to be 2 , then I would pick to expose Volpatti and keep Weise.

How is that 'hate' in any way? Seemed like a pretty calm, reasoned post.

Nuckles 02-10-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirkP (Post 59442149)
Not trying to rip on the guy because he serves a (marginal) purpose as a 4th line tough guy, but Volpatti's overall skill level is pretty shockingly low for an NHL player. Weise is miles ahead of him and he'll struggle to ever put up double-digit points in a full NHL season. He's easily replaced.

I feel the same way, I don't get why some people would prefer keeping Volpatti in the lineup over Weise.

molson78 02-10-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn (Post 59440931)
Yep, this one please. At least try it.

Winner winner chicken dinner

deckercky 02-10-2013 05:34 PM

Unlike at the start of the season, Ebbett could be sent down when Kesler's back since him being claimed no longer cripples the team. Henrik, Kesler, Schroeder, Lapierre, Malhotra. That's 5 NHL quality centers who would be healthy at that point (or the problem doesn't rear it's head). There's also now Burrows who has looked decent at center in a pinch.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen/Higgins
Weise - Lapierre - Hansen/Higgins
Malhotra, Volpatti

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

Luongo
Schneider

That's likely the ideal 23 man roster at this point (everyone will shuffle it a bit, but the players there are the ones worth keeping).

Lucbourdon 02-10-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 59440549)
With both healthy...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Malhotra

Roll four lines, all of those are solid.

That is sick, exactly what I am thinking, except volpatti\weise over manny.

JawandaPuck 02-10-2013 05:43 PM

Thinking further ahead, come playoff time, assuming 100% roster health and no TDL additions, my preference below:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Burrows - Hansen (with Burrows double shifting with Sedins occasionally)
Malhotra - Schroeder - Lapierre (each being interchangeable at center, and taking occasional shift on 3rd line)
Volpatti, Wiese

Mr. Canucklehead 02-10-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucbourdon (Post 59444805)
That is sick, exactly what I am thinking, except volpatti\weise over manny.

You can sub Volpatti/Weise in for toughness where needed, but by and large, Malhotra is the more useful player due to his face off and PK skills.

ZenMaster* 02-10-2013 05:56 PM

I still do think that AV will want a shutdown center for the playoffs, he will not change his formula for his third line and Schroeder does not fit this mold. Kesler or Schroeder has to move to the wing on the second line.

Steve Bennett* 02-10-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov (Post 59441683)
i think barker is gone, no question. if he clears, then great. if he doesn't, who cares? you can pick up a better 8th D at the deadline for peanuts. if a D gets hurt during the regular season, call up a young guy. would be good for k-con or whomever to get a taste of big league action anyway.

for the other guy, you either dump ebbett, who is completely useless (i.e., i can see no situation where we'd put him into the lineup now that AV would rather go with burr out of position), or if you really have to stash manny in the minors with the understanding among the coaching staff, the guys on the team, and manny himself that he's back up as soon as the playoffs start.


as for who sits, two of manny/weise/volpatti on any given night.

Agreed VS. Run this:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Burrows Kesler Hansen
Raymond Schroeder Booth
Higgins Lappy/Manny Weise/Volpatti

I guess I'd have those four rotating: Lapierre Malhotra Weise and Volpatti - giving the edge to Lapierre and Weise more regularly...

Other thing to keep in mind is that injuries will happen, we'd be lucky with that full lineup for more than 10 games straight...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.