HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   joel ward (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1346839)

txpd 02-10-2013 05:04 PM

joel ward

i am wondering. 5 goals in 12 games with a little ice time and a system that values his skill set. is there any love for this guy yet or is it still the outbound train for him?

brs03 02-10-2013 05:07 PM

Deal is iffy for a 3rd liner when the cap goes down, but I think it's pretty clear that he's a better player than we saw last season when used as such.

Is his current pace sustainable? Doubt it. But he's one of the few positives this season, and I think at least that is something we could expect more of going forward.

foundhockey 02-10-2013 05:09 PM

I like Ward. I certainly hope Ward and 85 stay on a line together. More goals for everyone! :nod:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 02-10-2013 05:11 PM

Just move Ovie back to 1LW and put Ward at 1RW. He'd be an excellent complementary player in that role.

Halpysback 02-10-2013 05:18 PM

Was there any hate for Ward outside BradD? He was a known quantity when he was signed and he came as advertised.

Pretty hilarious that it's this stretch that's making people warm up to him and not the playoffs.

Liberati0n* 02-10-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 59443541)
Just move Ovie back to 1LW and put Ward at 1RW. He'd be an excellent complementary player in that role.

Absolutely. The chemistry between Ward and Ribeiro was real, and he belongs on a scoring line regardless. He's a much better fit than either Brouwer or Chimera. I said this in the off-season repeatedly. I don't think he should have had to lead the team in goals for people to realize it.

txpd 02-10-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halpysback (Post 59443899)
Was there any hate for Ward outside BradD? He was a known quantity when he was signed and he came as advertised.

Pretty hilarious that it's this stretch that's making people warm up to him and not the playoffs.

well...first of all. i never cooled on him. he never got a chance to play last season. if you look at his ice time in nashville, it doesnt compare to last season at all.

in the playoffs he was the hero, boston, and the goat, rangers. so....i dont brag on his playoffs all that much.

as for hate...he is in a lot of the trade talk in the off season trying to dump his hideous contract. his contract isnt hideous at all as a 15 goal scorer who has a history of being clutch in the playoffs.

Halpysback 02-10-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 59444651)
well...first of all. i never cooled on him. he never got a chance to play last season. if you look at his ice time in nashville, it doesnt compare to last season at all.

in the playoffs he was the hero, boston, and the goat, rangers. so....i dont brag on his playoffs all that much.

as for hate...he is in a lot of the trade talk in the off season trying to dump his hideous contract. his contract isnt hideous at all as a 15 goal scorer who has a history of being clutch in the playoffs.

How was he a goat against Rangers? The double minor? Can you really evaluate a player's playoff performance by their luckiest/unluckiest moments? If Wideman ties it up in game 7 and Schultz scores the go ahead goal do they suddenly have amazing playoffs?

He played same way against Rangers as Bruins. Smart, good on the cycle, good defensively, great along the boards.

Hopefully Oates keeps him with Ribeiro, but given that he seems to pull his lineups out of a hat a doubt it.

strungout 02-10-2013 05:41 PM

Ive never had a problem with the player/contract.

Blades of steel 02-10-2013 05:50 PM

I'm digging Ward more this season for sure. About Matty P, lets not forget he scores after being called up or sat for a few games.. Ill be interested to see if he continues after a game or two.

RandyHolt 02-10-2013 06:01 PM

I was busting on Ward last year. I expected to see a greater effort from him based on his salary and role.

I felt like he rode Chimera's hot start last year, but it fizzled. But like Carlson and others, he was sand bagging saving it up for the playoffs. Maybe had a touch of the fat cat disease.

Few seemed to care when Dale demoted or scratched him

Nothing has really changed. Once he gave his all in the playoffs and since, he has met reasonable expectation.

Nothing to see here folks. It's not news that fans like players playing well.

Brave Sir Robin 02-10-2013 06:06 PM

I have no problem with Ward, but I don't like his contract. He may be hot now, but his production will level off. I don't like this recent trend of overpaying mediocre complimentary players, like Laich, Brouwer, Ward.

tycoonheart 02-10-2013 06:56 PM

The guy has been nothing short of amazing so far this season.

txpd 02-10-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halpysback (Post 59444959)
How was he a goat against Rangers? The double minor? Can you really evaluate a player's playoff performance by their luckiest/unluckiest moments?.

yea...the highstick. unlucky or not, its fatal goat factor. you go down in history as a goat for stuff like that. in his favor is the ot series winner which washes the goat thing.
my view is that his game brings more to the table in playoff style hockey and as a result he brings more results then. i think his contract is fine. i just dont brag on this one particular playoffs.

txpd 02-10-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin (Post 59446659)
I have no problem with Ward, but I don't like his contract. He may be hot now, but his production will level off. I don't like this recent trend of overpaying mediocre complimentary players, like Laich, Brouwer, Ward.

i am not going to defend these players here, but these players are making market at the most. i dont think any of them are overpaid.

would you rather turn these players over into different one's by going cheap on one year deals and then letting them walk? all three of those players are better than jason chimera and none of them were going to stay for jason chimera money.

californiacapsfan 02-10-2013 07:41 PM

My beef WRT Ward has always been how he's been used, not him or his contract. He's been much more smartly utilized so far this year, but I'd still rather see him on a scoring line.

Devil Dancer 02-10-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halpysback (Post 59443899)

The double minor in game 5 against the NYR took a lot of the shine off his OT winner in game 7 of the first round.

n3ss 02-10-2013 07:57 PM

He's the best goalscorer on the team. Trade him while his value is high, or extend him.

Capitlols 02-10-2013 08:25 PM

Had a wait and see attitude on the signing. I'm indifferent to it at this point, a tad much for what he brings, but I don't think it handcuffs the team moving forward.

On the other hand, I hated the Hamrlik signing and still do.

Halpysback 02-10-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Dancer (Post 59456995)
The double minor in game 5 against the NYR took a lot of the shine off his OT winner in game 7 of the first round.

That's all there is to his playoff game eh.

Someone should page Lou that he's a dumbass for resigning Steve Bernier after that major in game 6 against LA.

442 02-11-2013 06:59 AM

I'll be the first person to admit that I was hating on Ward last season and it was partially warranted, with that said I don't think he was given a legit chance to succeed based on TOI and line-mates.

I however do NOT think he's the right person to be playing with Oveckin, his goals and success has been based off the cycle game .... something OV doesn't do much at all. I wouldn't change a thing from last game in terms of lineup, maybe on the back-end but up front I'd attempt to replicate exactly what we had vs. Fla.

chsb 02-11-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades of steel (Post 59445755)
I'm digging Ward more this season for sure. About Matty P, lets not forget he scores after being called up or sat for a few games.. Ill be interested to see if he continues after a game or two.

Then maybe some other players would benefit from the same process as it seems in your mind like a winning combination.

For all the account of satisfaction from some when MP goes to the bleachers, some easily forget players who would be more deserving of that treatment.

swimmer77 02-11-2013 07:56 AM

Ward definitely is looking good this year. Never really regretted the signing but was disappointed in his play last year.

Interesting to see the difference between Oates and Hunter in their use of players. Hunter was more successful with less time than Oates. He also had less work to work with because of the Green and Backstrom injuries.

Back to Ward - obviously don't expect him to maintain the current pace and would rather judge some of these guys on what they do against the NYR's, Boston's, Pit's and other upper tier teams.

RandyHolt 02-11-2013 08:57 AM

I usually fully encourage grinders being tried up on the top lines when there are gaping holes not easily filled with the optimal perfect player. Bottom 6ers have been sneaking up into 6 roles forever. Saving money, you know.

But now having 2 competent scoring Cs, coupled with only 1 scoring winger, its inevitable that we see an uptick in grinder wings potting goals. Just go towards the net stick on the ice. Chemistry!

There has been little discussions on how to best integrate attack on the rush guys like Ovi with the oh so common back to the goal players that largely comprise the modern NHL. Its just easier to go ahead and try em and see if they click. Crabb, chase after Ovi. Go.

Its laughable to think Mario and the leagues minds thought all teams had the thoroughbreds to generate quality chances on rush, to be the entertainment backbone of the modern day game. Did he think he would be cloned?

tycoonheart 02-11-2013 09:20 AM

Lets not forget Ward looked good under Hunter as well. He's excelling under Oates as well. My guess is he wasn't a good fit for Bruce's system.