HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   I'm going to India for 3 Months, Recommend me TV Shows (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1346897)

Karl with a C 02-10-2013 06:12 PM

I'm going to India for 3 Months, Recommend me TV Shows

So I'm leaving on Friday, will be gone for 3 months. I have a huge hard drive I can load up with TV shows, but don't know what to add.

For dramas, I'm a fan of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones
Comedy: Arrested Development, The Office, Community, Parks and Rec

I'm open to any suggestions. I haven't watched many new/popular shows so give me your thoughts.

Vikke 02-10-2013 06:17 PM

The Walking Dead is amazing. As is Oz. :)

MJG 02-10-2013 06:17 PM

Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland

Archer, Workaholics, Louie

SB164 02-10-2013 06:21 PM

Party Down, one of the best comedies of the past 10 years.

Novak Djokovic 02-10-2013 06:22 PM

Where, in India, are you going? I lived there for 9 years.

I'd recommend The Walking Dead. If you have lots of time, watch Lost. Amazing show.

Ceremony 02-10-2013 06:23 PM

The X Files

Karl with a C 02-10-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbian Power (Post 59447851)
Where, in India, are you going? I lived there for 9 years.

I'd recommend The Walking Dead. If you have lots of time, watch Lost. Amazing show.

I'm going to Pune in Maharashtra.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm interested in Homeland and have heard it was good, but I've never liked Police/FBI procedural type shows. Is it like that?

DennisReynolds 02-10-2013 06:32 PM

Curb Your Enthusiasm and Six Feet Under

kihei 02-10-2013 06:43 PM

Hope you don't have too much downtime for this sort of thing as there must be so much in India to explore, but the BBC's first season of Luther with Idris Elba is terrific.

Jovavic 02-10-2013 06:57 PM

Mad Men, Louie

Bruv 02-10-2013 07:03 PM

The Wire, Walking Dead, Lost

Karl with a C 02-10-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kihei (Post 59449717)
Hope you don't have too much downtime for this sort of thing as there must be so much in India to explore, but the BBC's first season of Luther with Idris Elba is terrific.

I'm going for work so won't have much time to explore, but will take any opportunity to do so.

Kudos to those listing Louie, that's actually one of my favorites I just neglected to mention it. It might be good to re-watch the series though. A lot of this is stuff that I'm going to watch on the flights as well.

Elever 02-10-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype (Post 59447083)
Comedy: Arrested Development, The Office, Community, Parks and Rec

The IT Crowd for sure, Modern Family, Cougar Town (misleading title, you'll like this if you like the ones above), It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (takes a while to get into once you get over how despicable the characters are), New Girl, and Go On.

The new drama on Netflix (House of Cards) is good, Sherlock (BBC series) is still my favourite though along with the Hercule Poirot mysteries.

Also I'd recommend downloading a few pdf's of The Hockey News from online and reading through them. Good casual reading, lots of them can be found from torrent type sites or by searching thehockeynews pdf. You can purchase them from Zinio in digital format but then you'd need an internet connection. Also a few good hockey books available for free to download online from website like ebookee. The Game by Ken Dryden and How the NHL Conquered Hockey. Your brain is gonna turn to mush with that much TV, might as well do a bit of reading.

Karl with a C 02-10-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloparren (Post 59454347)
The IT Crowd for sure, Modern Family, Cougar Town (misleading title, you'll like this if you like the ones above), It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (takes a while to get into once you get over how despicable the characters are), New Girl, and Go On.

The new drama on Netflix (House of Cards) is good, Sherlock (BBC series) is still my favourite though along with the Hercule Poirot mysteries.

Also I'd recommend downloading a few pdf's of The Hockey News from online and reading through them. Good casual reading, lots of them can be found from torrent type sites or by searching thehockeynews pdf. You can purchase them from Zinio in digital format but then you'd need an internet connection. Also a few good hockey books available for free to download online from website like ebookee. The Game by Ken Dryden and How the NHL Conquered Hockey. Your brain is gonna turn to mush with that much TV, might as well do a bit of reading.

Amazing suggestions, thanks!

Keep 'em coming, 3 months is a long time and 20 hours in a plane is no picnic either.

Thanks again to those that have given some input. I'll be back later to research some of these shows and see what I think will appeal. Guess I'll have to have an open mind.

Shareefruck 02-10-2013 08:47 PM

Seem to like similar things.

The Wire (if you have alot of time to kill and patience won't be an issue, it's the biggest must-see in television, IMO)
Freaks and Geeks
The Office UK
Band of Brothers
Six Feet Under
Planet Earth
Rewatch seasons 2-4 of The Simpsons in case the last time you saw them was when you were young

Not as good as the others, but plenty of fun:
Californication
The Ricky Gervais Show
Lucky Louie
Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Misfits
Firefly
Flight of the Conchords

Also, An Idiot Abroad would be nice in contrast to your trip.

Izzy 02-10-2013 10:18 PM

Lost, Walking Dead, The league, Workaholics, Prison Break, How I met Your Mother, Its always sunny, Jericho, Futurama, American Horror Story, Freaks and Geeks, Misfits, Dexter, Seinfeld and King of the Hill.

You could possibly also enjoy Kenny Vs. Spenny, The Inbetweeners and Trailer Park boys, but its unlikely.

Oh yeah, The IT crowd as well

awesomo 02-10-2013 11:19 PM

New Girl

Riverdale 02-10-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceremony (Post 59447909)
The X Files

Yes.

WarriorOfGandhi 02-11-2013 12:17 AM

I hate to be that guy, but if I was going to spend 3 months in India, I wouldn't want to spend any time watching TV.

danishh 02-11-2013 01:13 AM

just sign up for a good american vpn and get netflix. They have internet in pune.

Everlasting 02-11-2013 01:20 AM

Buffy (The best tv show ever. But the first season can be... MEH)
Angel (A spin off from Buffy, a must see if you see Buffy)
Sons of anarchy (Motorcycle club drama stuff. A lot of action and drama.)
Supernatural (Two brother traveling around in America and killing deamons)
The walking dead (Zombies.)
The Shield (Insane cop show with som heavy writing and acting. The endind is just heart breaking)
The X files (Just like Buffy, it set trends. A classic. Two FBI agents taking on supernatural cases)
First Wave (A sci fi show about alien invasion. Its like The X files, it's REALLY GOOOD.)
Death Note (A guy finds a book, every person he writes down in it, dies. He goes insane and plays god. An extremly well written fantastic story. KILLER SHOW)

Karl with a C 02-11-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi (Post 59474845)
I hate to be that guy, but if I was going to spend 3 months in India, I wouldn't want to spend any time watching TV.

Like I mentioned above, mostly this is for the flights. I'm going to be working 6 days a week there. That leaves one day for tourist stuff. Most nights I will need to be in bed relatively early and will need something to keep me occupied.

Three months is an exceptionally long time to be in one area (travelling far from there is impossible, so I can't see for example the Taj Mahal).

SugarSherm 02-11-2013 02:13 AM

Avatar The Last Airbender - One of the best animated tv shows of all time IMO
Blue Mountain State - Comedy following the football team of the party school Blue Mountain State
The League - Comedy about a group of friends who play fantasy football
Spartacus - Blood and **** :yo:

And others such as Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Workaholics, Party Down, How I Met Your Mother, and South Park.

StringerBell 02-11-2013 02:34 AM

First three seasons of Californication

George Maharis 02-11-2013 04:35 AM

Better Off Ted
Blackadder (all 4 series')
Bored to Death
Buffy
Cougar Town
Criminal Minds
Daria
Flight of the Conchords
Freaks and Geeks
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Friends
Happy Endings
House of Lies (Kristen Bell is aaaaaaaadorable)
How I Met Your Mother
Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Kenny vs Spenny
Modern Family
My Name is Earl
Outsourced (comedy about an Indian call center)
Party Down
Pushing Daisies (one of the most under-appreciated shows ever)
Raising Hope
Running Wilde
Saved by the Bell
Scooby Doo
Scrubs
Sopranos
South Park
That 70's Show
The League
The Middle
The Shield
The Simpsons
The Wire
Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place
Undeclared
United States of Tara
Veronica Mars
Weeds
Whose Line is it Anyway?
Will & Grace

If I think of anything else, i'll post them.