HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   gloves - your preferences? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1347163)

r3cc0s 02-10-2013 11:11 PM

gloves - your preferences?

this is a strange one...
not necessarily a topic of 4 rolls vs tapered, clarino vs. digital, or nylon vs pleather

its whats you're take on "sweaty" gloves?

I find a couple of things:
There is no glove out there that I find is playable out of the box... I've had prostock 852's, eagle PPF's, TPS R8s, pro tacks

of the bunch the TPS R8's and the Easton S17's were the closest, but by no means would I say they were comfortable and ready to go...

but as you break in gloves, the palms get sweaty and crusty, and I find that I have to always wet (sweat or water) the palms to get them pliable and subsequently tacky

I have no problems with that, as I find a well worn in clarino Palm is as close to wearing no gloves at all

but I've heard pro's switching gloves every 6 games or so, constantly using multiple pairs during the game..
I personally don't mind a sweaty palmed glove myself, it really grips well!

ReverendAlBundy 02-11-2013 12:20 AM

I have ~6 pairs I rotate through regularly, plus several others I wear on occasion. I also treat my palms with shaving cream.

As I'm sure you can infer, I really hate crusty sweat palms.

Jarick 02-11-2013 09:30 AM

I have NEVER found a way to "cure" crusty palms. Only prevent.

From what I understand, it's the salt in your sweat that causes this, and I haven't found any products on the market that can help. Airing the gloves out right away, optionally using a warm air blower or dryer (like a hunting boot dryer) is the best prevention.

On my old R8's (Nash leather), they were fine until I accidentally left them in the bag overnight. Then crusty. Then got worse. I tried soaking the palms, steaming them, shaving cream, pure lanolin...nothing worked.

So now I have two pairs of Warriors, both have Clarino palms I believe. I rotate them between games, although I do have a week between games so it doesn't matter that much. I also take them out RIGHT AWAY and pull the liners inside out and set it out and spray with Febreze.

The top palm on one of the gloves is a little bit harder now, took about a year and a half. Not that bad.

roffleburger 02-11-2013 09:35 AM

Honestly, the only solution I've been able to find is: wear synthetic/under armor gloves under your hockey gloves. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and I'm loving it

r3cc0s 02-11-2013 01:34 PM

I have ran boiling hot water through the palms and it melted off all the salt and excess from sweat...

n3gkiwi 02-11-2013 03:46 PM

I've never had this problem with my Eagle PPF gloves with MSH2.... I also found them to feel the most "broken in". Maybe I'm the anomaly but I have had them for over 3 years and play quite a bit.

cptjeff 02-11-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 59482943)
I have NEVER found a way to "cure" crusty palms. Only prevent.

From what I understand, it's the salt in your sweat that causes this, and I haven't found any products on the market that can help. Airing the gloves out right away, optionally using a warm air blower or dryer (like a hunting boot dryer) is the best prevention.

On my old R8's (Nash leather), they were fine until I accidentally left them in the bag overnight. Then crusty. Then got worse. I tried soaking the palms, steaming them, shaving cream, pure lanolin...nothing worked.

So now I have two pairs of Warriors, both have Clarino palms I believe. I rotate them between games, although I do have a week between games so it doesn't matter that much. I also take them out RIGHT AWAY and pull the liners inside out and set it out and spray with Febreze.

The top palm on one of the gloves is a little bit harder now, took about a year and a half. Not that bad.

Diluted vinegar works really well for taking salt stains out of shoes, and would have the added bonus at killing off a bunch of the microbial crap living in the gloves, might be worth a shot.

OpenIceHit42 02-11-2013 07:47 PM

Every 2-3 games I dump a small amount of baby power into my gloves.