HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Is fighting no longer our friend? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1347439)

Quaider* 02-11-2013 11:54 AM

Is fighting no longer our friend?

Last night as Campbell got lit up by Kaleta I was wondering this.

Over the past few seasons our fights have been well-timed, momentum changing fights with a purpose and usually a win. Scott demolishing Thornton inspired Buffalo bigtime. Last night Kaletas easy win over Campbell got them going as well even though we won the game. Tim Gleason stood in with the bigger Looch and got Carolina going also.

I'm wondering if we either need new personel or should we not be as quick to drop the gloves? It seems that our fights are doing more to inspire the other team.

On a related note. If Thornton is now at 100%, I think the writing is on the wall. He's not good enough to remain on the roster if he is simply going to skate around and do nothing. Sad, but that's what he did last night.

duckchobbins 02-11-2013 12:00 PM

Campbell is not, and has never been a good fighter. He's eager and willing, but otherwise the team's punching bag. Love his energy, and the fact that when he fights he isn't afraid to throw at the expense of taking a few hits himself, but he rarely comes out the clear victor. However, the fact he lost a fight to a guy wearing a damn visor proves nothing.

WBC8 02-11-2013 12:06 PM

Thornton whether he fights or not is fine as your 12th forward IMO.

It's obvious the Bruins are going to ignore Scott this season unless he does something foolish and they have no choice... They also didn't mess with McLaren or Orr, so maybe that's how they will roll this year, fight less, leave the heavys alone... Points are at a premium.

SPV 02-11-2013 12:07 PM

The result of the fight isn't as important as the cause behind it. Campbell stepping up there was the message; we have each other's backs. Doesn't matter that he lost, and doesn't Campbell always lose? :laugh: Not that he wouldn't still kick my butt!!

I'm concerned about Thornton somewhat. I don't want him fighting more than I don't think he is capable of it. I think it would be okay if we looked in another direction for that position going forward.

Kiss My Rask 02-11-2013 12:11 PM

When Soupy does it, it's not our friend. Love his heart, but he can't throw

reidy 02-11-2013 12:17 PM

I cringe every time I see Gregory Campbell drop his gloves. Dude is an absolute momentum changer, unfortunately more often than not he's giving momentum to the other team.

In regards to the thread though, no - fighting is still our friend. The Bruins are still the toughest team in the league, and when that inevitable annual line brawl erupts, I'm sure they'll be on the winning end.

the overrated 02-11-2013 12:18 PM

I think you can go back to previous seasons and find fights that motivated the opposition; sometimes it helps a team, sometimes it helps their opponents. People tend to remember the ones that have a positive result more than the ones that have negative outcomes, and kind of ignore/forget the times that it worked in the other team's benefit.

The team has points in all but one game, and the one game that they lost in regulation was more due to horrendous play by the D than what happened between Buffalo's fighter & Boston's fighter.

So, no, I don't think that Boston should drop the gloves less, or worry about it firing up the other team. Maybe avoid the idiotic staged fights (e.g. the Scott one) as they don't have a true heavyweight to match up with those guys; but if it's a situation like last night and someone feels that a hit was inappropriate, they should go after that guy regardless if it might happen to fire up the other team.

BruinsNeedaRussian 02-11-2013 12:19 PM

Campbell has always been a horrid fighter (although losing to Kaleta is a new low) and Thornton lost one fight (first decisive loss in a long time). What is the issue? Buffalo is soft and a basement team. We are tougher and far more talented (for now and the forseable future).

Artemis 02-11-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushhawg (Post 59489195)

Over the past few seasons our fights have been well-timed, momentum changing fights with a purpose and usually a win. Scott demolishing Thornton inspired Buffalo bigtime. Last night Kaletas easy win over Campbell got them going as well even though we won the game. Tim Gleason stood in with the bigger Looch and got Carolina going also.

I'm wondering if we either need new personel or should we not be as quick to drop the gloves? It seems that our fights are doing more to inspire the other team.

On a related note. If Thornton is now at 100%, I think the writing is on the wall. He's not good enough to remain on the roster if he is simply going to skate around and do nothing. Sad, but that's what he did last night.

What, exactly, did you want Thornton to do last night, start a fight? Start a fight with Scott? For what? Every time Scott was on the ice he was a pylon. Getting him off the ice would be doing the Sabres a favor.

Campbell dropped the gloves because Kaleta was being his usual richard self and Campbell was the closest guy to him after the hit on Seids. Greg is a lousy fighter but he stepped up for a teammate, and that's what's important. He's not going to wave to Thornton and say "go get him!"

The Bruins skated rings around Buffalo and won the game. Thornton, as part of the fourth line, played well and did his part. He's not there just to fight.

CamFan81 02-11-2013 12:25 PM

in before "dress 2 goons a game and have 3 waiting in providence"

In all seriousness, I could care less that Campbell loses a fight. The fact that he goes as much as he does and could care less about losing is refreshing. Its how fighting started and should be.

Anger initiated brawl.

LSCII 02-11-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis (Post 59490511)
What, exactly, did you want Thornton to do last night, start a fight? Start a fight with Scott? For what? Every time Scott was on the ice he was a pylon. Getting him off the ice would be doing the Sabres a favor.

Campbell dropped the gloves because Kaleta was being his usual richard self and Campbell was the closest guy to him after the hit on Seids. Greg is a lousy fighter but he stepped up for a teammate, and that's what's important. He's not going to wave to Thornton and say "go get him!"

The Bruins skated rings around Buffalo and won the game. Thornton, as part of the fourth line, played well and did his part. He's not there just to fight.

I was in agreement with you right up until the bolded. Of course Thornton is there to fight. It's why he's on the team. He may be a rare thing in that he's an enforcer who can also play a little hockey, but let's not be disingenuous and say he's a hockey player first.

Artemis 02-11-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSCII (Post 59490805)
I was in agreement with you right up until the bolded. Of course Thornton is there to fight. It's why he's on the team. He may be a rare thing in that he's an enforcer who can also play a little hockey, but let's not be disingenuous and say he's a hockey player first.

I said he's not there "just" to fight. He's not John Scott.

LSCII 02-11-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemis (Post 59490873)
I said he's not there "just" to fight. He's not John Scott.

Thank God for that! :laugh:

bruinsfan46 02-11-2013 12:30 PM

Campbell has been in 55 NHL fights and won four of them: http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...=1&Player=5657

He's always willing but him losing a fight is nothing new. Thornton is still a top NHL heavyweight who just lost a single fight to a 6'8", 270 pound monster.

SPLBRUIN 02-11-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian (Post 59490491)
Campbell has always been a horrid fighter (although losing to Kaleta is a new low) and Thornton lost one fight (first decisive loss in a long time). What is the issue? Buffalo is soft and a basement team. We are tougher and far more talented (for now and the forseable future).

Actually the weasel Kaleta is a decent fighter, I have seen him speedbag a few guys, Campbell is the one fighter we have who loses more then he wins. The others
(Chara, Lucic, Thornton, McQuaid) rarely lose. The thing is all of those guys can play hockey unlike some of the goons who are now in the league.

Oates2Neely 02-11-2013 12:35 PM

I'll take 'premature threads' for 500 Alex..

Thornton 1st game back from concussion is being questioned for not fighting? "Skate around & do nothing"? Give the guy a few games to get back in a groove.

Campbell stuck up for Seids in what he felt was an agressive and late hit. Good on him, he got his butt kicked but good to see nonetheless.

I still believe Scott will get 'his', when the time calls for it. B's still boast toughness, nothing to see here.

jasonbaz77* 02-11-2013 12:40 PM

I will take a skill team over all the Bruins teams we had that fought and never won anything. I think every time Lucic gets into a fight it is a loss for the Bruins because he doesn't fight the Crosby's and Stamkos of the other team...it's usually the guy that is on double runners and plays 4 minutes a game. They take Looch out for 5 minutes, we get nothing out of it. I think a well timed hit by Boychuk can change the momentum just as much as any fight...WITHOUT losing good players for 5 minutes. I hope those are limited from now on.

Ratty 02-11-2013 01:04 PM

Claude's strategy seems to be, let the other team commit stupid infractions and stay away from retaliations. Now if he could only fix the power play.

VanIsle 02-11-2013 01:09 PM

Thornton gets beat up by the 2nd biggest guy in the league and Campbell loses a scrap, oh no. You can't win them all, and fights are used to change the game in certain situations and the Bruins do that very well.

The Bruins are tough and yes fighting is part of their game and they do it very well.

RussellmaniaKW 02-11-2013 01:20 PM

not to make excuses for him, but I think Soup was kind of surprised by Kaleta b/c Kaleta initially was trying to beg off and appeal to the ref and then he just started throwing back out of nowhere. Just seemed like a typical underhanded move by Kaleta to act like he wasn't gonna fight and then start throwing a flurry.

In any case, whether Campbell got his ass beat or not, it sent the right message because Ott and Kaleta quieted waaay down after that point in the game.

Also, as much as I hate guys that jaw on other teams and don't drop the gloves, I have to admit that I loved seeing Marchand genuinely get under Ott's skin last night.

Shoebottom 02-11-2013 01:29 PM

Boston should have a designated goon playing games vs teams that dress these giant goons. If the other team can spare a spot for one, so can Boston for a game. Especially since its not fair to Thornton to face these monsters. By not having one, we lose the advantage of having Lucic & Chara in these sort of games. Designated goon & Thornton can take care of the other team's goons so that Chara and Lucic don't have to fight these scrubs. I don't want to lose either player fighting against these goons, they should stick to fighting big minute players on the other team.

Last night Scott, Stafford and Ott didn't have to answere to anything. Yeah we won, but it would've been nice to exact some pain as well on that team. Remember how tough Ottawa was with MacGratten, Niel, and Chara? I want something like that when we play Toronto or Buffalo.

Its only one spot on the team every other game, Campbell sits, McGratten plays vs Toronto. Then Campbell switches in vs Montreal. Don't see what the big deal is.
To maximize what Lucic & Chara provide, you got to have a big time heavy.

ksp1957 02-11-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 (Post 59491035)
Campbell has been in 55 NHL fights and won four of them: http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...=1&Player=5657

He's always willing but him losing a fight is nothing new. Thornton is still a top NHL heavyweight who just lost a single fight to a 6'8", 270 pound monster.

Did they count the fight that Campbell had help from his elbow pad against Pyatt as a win ? :naughty:

I'd just as soon Campbell not fight. Shawn Thornton is pretty much on the team as an 'enforcer' so he'll need to do that job over the course of the season. But he should wait until the cobwebs are out of his head first.

DKH 02-11-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushhawg (Post 59489195)

wait until the Leafs show up:cry:....I may not even go to the game its going to be such a beatdown

WBC8 02-11-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKH (Post 59494949)
wait until the Leafs show up:cry:....I may not even go to the game its going to be such a beatdown

Bruins already successfully ducked Orr and McLaren...they won't be a problem. ;)

Btown 02-11-2013 01:51 PM

Soupy is on our team because he has more heart than 90% of the league.
The kid will fight Legit fighters and get his ass kicked, he will fight for his teammates and for the honesty of the game.
Gregory Cambell will block shots all night even with his face if he has to.
The heart may be larger than the skill level but I for one consider it a pleasure to watch him play for my team...