HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RD Anthony DeAngelo - Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2014, 19th OA, TBL) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1347921)

FlyersHockeyNow 02-11-2013 09:11 PM

RD Anthony DeAngelo - Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2014, 19th OA, TBL)

Anthony DeAngelo is a US born defenseman born in 1995, but he is born late and gets drafted in the 96 draft.
He played in the USHL at the age of 14 for Cedar Rapids and wasn't afraid to drop em against 20 year old guys. He was committed to BU.
Dropped his commitment and took the OHL route. He now plays for Sarnia Sting and is predicted to get drafted first round, most likely top 15.
He has played in a USA tournament over seas wearing the A on his chest as well.

Going to be an unreal player in the NHL, he has it all.

Here is his hockey db
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=130876

Sticks and Pucks 02-11-2013 10:58 PM

How is his defensive play? I notice he's a -6 on a pretty good team.

Hardyvan123 02-11-2013 11:07 PM

Sarnia seems to have 6 guys already playing for them who will be 14 draft year guys which is pretty amazing would love to hear more about all of them.

AmericanDream 02-12-2013 02:24 PM

kid is on fire!

another multi point night for Anthony, 1g and 2a on Sunday.

Anthony is a top 10-15 pick as he just simply has the skill level that so many teams covet. his defense needs working on, but your not drafting him for that, that can be taught.

he is nearly a ppg player and still isnt in his draft year yet. anyone who thought this kid will be looking from the outside in for the WJC just doesnt see this kid enough. he is dynamic.

JAVO16 02-12-2013 02:27 PM

Paging That.

Nullus Reverentia 02-12-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 59565547)
kid is on fire!

another multi point night for Anthony, 1g and 2a on Sunday.

Anthony is a top 10-15 pick as he just simply has the skill level that so many teams covet. his defense needs working on, but your not drafting him for that, that can be taught.

he is nearly a ppg player and still isnt in his draft year yet. anyone who thought this kid will be looking from the outside in for the WJC just doesnt see this kid enough. he is dynamic.

At least you're not making the mistake of overhyping him like another American defensive prospect who also played on the rivers connecting Lake Erie and Lake Huron.

He's been great after a weak start. When I saw him earlier in the season he was pretty bad. Looks like he's got his stuff together and is looking like the defensemen he was supposed to be.

Dom - OHL 10-23-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

There’s no questioning the talent DeAngelo possesses. The question right up to the draft will be his 5’11 167 pound frame and how that will translate to the National Hockey League. That aside, he is a very good skater with excellent vision. Team those qualities up with excellent hockey sense and you have a recipe for success.

Like any young player, getting the most out of those assets is the key. That doesn’t necessarily mean that DeAngelo is a “me first” type of player or that he isn’t a team player. Simply, if he can utilize those assets to the fullest, there’s no telling where his ceiling may be. He’s learned to be more responsible in picking his spots to pinch and is learning how to use his teammates more instead of trying to beat 5 defenders on his own all the time, but it is still a work in progress, and something his coaches have been working on with him.

DeAngelo is known for having somewhat of a bad temper, sometimes getting him into trouble last season, even taking an abuse of officials misconduct. But members of the Sting organization say there has been none of that on and off the ice this season.
http://ohlwriters.com/articles/antho...e-sarnia-sting

BillyShoe1721 11-11-2013 11:47 PM

How are more people not talking about this kid? What he is doing is absolutely remarkable. He's leading his team in scoring, with 27 points in 19 games. If he plays 60 games this year, he's on pace for 85 points. And his team is awful. The player everyone likes to compare him to is Ryan Ellis, who put up 89 points his draft year, but Ellis played on one of the most stacked junior teams in recent history. The fact that DeAngelo is coming close to that number on an awful Sarnia team is truly remarkable.

More people need to be talking about this kid. Size be damned, we haven't seen offensive production like this from a defenseman in his draft year in I can't remember how long.

Sticks and Pucks 11-12-2013 12:36 AM

He's been impressive but we need to remember that this is his THIRD season. Ryan Ellis did what he did in his second year. That being said, I think he likely goes where Ellis went at the draft.

Anthony Mauro 11-12-2013 12:38 AM

Yep. I think he's a horrible defender but he's mirroring Doughty. A little bit of a hot head, great skater, floozy D, and insane offensive creation.

spfan 11-12-2013 06:55 AM

Ryan Ellis is a good comparable, but Ryan Murphy is a better one, in my opinion.

This is a more forward oriented draft, but if a team really likes DeAngelo, I could see him going as high as 12th.

AmericanDream 11-12-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAVO16 (Post 59565693)
Paging That.

paging that :sarcasm:

StuckOutHere 11-12-2013 11:38 AM

Really want the Leafs to get ahold of this guy.

Iridium128 11-16-2013 10:35 PM

He's a pretty good draft pick in NHL14 if that helps :)

AmericanDream 11-20-2013 09:35 AM

kid just isn't slowing down.

continues to lead his team in scoring and I must add not many players play defense well on Sarnia this year! They have missed Jimmy McDowell a lot this season.

Anthony has improved his defensive play from the past two seasons. It still isn't where it needs to be, but I think scouts can look at his effort in trying to make better decisions and has put himself in better positioning while still being as effective as ever with the puck.

I said he would be a top 15 pick for the past few seasons and I still stick with that. Skill like this is hard to teach, and with it being a more forward heavy draft imo, a kid like DeAngelo will be coveted.

Oilception 11-20-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 74719233)
kid just isn't slowing down.

continues to lead his team in scoring and I must add not many players play defense well on Sarnia this year! They have missed Jimmy McDowell a lot this season.

Anthony has improved his defensive play from the past two seasons. It still isn't where it needs to be, but I think scouts can look at his effort in trying to make better decisions and has put himself in better positioning while still being as effective as ever with the puck.

I said he would be a top 15 pick for the past few seasons and I still stick with that. Skill like this is hard to teach, and with it being a more forward heavy draft imo, a kid like DeAngelo will be coveted.

How far behind is his defense?

I have not watched him play so not trying to judge. This kid is on fire offensively but is still a -8? i realize his team isnt that great but thats not the best stat.

Rabid Ranger 11-20-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilception (Post 74727565)

I have not watched him play so not trying to judge. This kid is on fire offensively but is still a -8? i realize his team isnt that great but thats not the best stat.

He'll never be a great defensive player-just not in the DNA. The key will be if the NHL team that drafts him can get him to be just good enough to hold down third pairing even strength minutes in addition to a load of PP time.

AmericanDream 11-21-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilception (Post 74727565)

Ryan Murphy-esque in my opinion. Nothing terrible, just has work to do.

Brock 11-22-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 74773047)
Ryan Murphy-esque in my opinion. Nothing terrible, just has work to do.

With DeAngelo, I think it's the will to learn to play better defensively.

When you watch him, quite frankly, he looks disinterested in the defensive end at times. Coasts back after leading rushes and seems content to let his backchecking forwards cover for him. Also disengages physically at times and gets pushed over in the corners and in front of the net.

But then there are moments when he makes terrific plays defensively and actually plays hard in the defensive end. He will occasionally step up on forwards at the blueline and can play quite physical.

He's definitely a Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde type of player in his own end.

But the offensive talents are just so phenomenal. I think he's a bubble first rounder in hopes that you can work with him defensively.

pooleboy 11-23-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iridium128 (Post 74536791)
He's a pretty good draft pick in NHL14 if that helps :)

came into this thread for this exact reason lmao..

JAVO16 11-23-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 74249749)
paging that :sarcasm:

I thought that the poster "That" might make an appearance in this thread since he watches a lot of OHL games and has watched almost every Sting game last year when Galchenyuk was still on the team, so I figured that he would have a informed opinion on DeAngelo.

drw02 12-15-2013 12:02 AM

-5 tonight...yikes

stlblues9 12-15-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooleboy (Post 74876665)
came into this thread for this exact reason lmao..

Yup, so did I. I try and draft him every draft with either a late first round pick or early second round pick, depending if I have a complete rebuilding team or a team I'm trying to win with.

AmericanDream 12-16-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drw02 (Post 76197661)
-5 tonight...yikes

team gives up 9 goals, kind of hard not be when your on the ice a lot. He wasn't alone as most players were -3 or better

drw02 12-17-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanDream (Post 76265261)
team gives up 9 goals, kind of hard not be when your on the ice a lot. He wasn't alone as most players were -3 or better

So he deserves no blame? Play better defense and maybe you won't give up 9 goals and be -5.