HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Proposal: Training Camp to Fort Worth (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1348419)

Stars99Lobo37 02-12-2013 01:00 PM

Training Camp to Fort Worth

Quote:

@tedmadden

Stars president Jim Lites says they are negotiating with Ft Worth to hold training camp there next 3 years. #wfaasports
Interesting. What ice is in Fort Worth that would be big enough to hold their training camp? Surely not the barn that the Brahmas play in....

piqued 02-12-2013 01:01 PM

Sucks for Boise. Guess they didn't really care about the whole "getting away from it all" aspect. Joe has said many times he believed that was important.

Stars99Lobo37 02-12-2013 01:03 PM

Think they're trying to build the Metroplex up first before heading out with their training camps.

Does suck for Boise though. Wouldn't shock me if the Stars dropped Idaho eventually and just went full head with the 3rd affiliate being the Americans (depending on how long the CHL lasts).

Sports 02-12-2013 01:08 PM

Hm.
I kinda like the idea of getting out of town during training camp more.

Fly Like a C5 02-12-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 59560639)
Interesting. What ice is in Fort Worth that would be big enough to hold their training camp? Surely not the barn that the Brahmas play in....

If they actually mean Fort Worth then they are probably looking at having it at the Fort Worth Convention center.

slaps 02-12-2013 01:50 PM

The team looked better when they had training camps out in Colorado or PEI.

Enforced camaraderie had beneficial results.

FrailSwan 02-12-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 59560781)
Think they're trying to build the Metroplex up first before heading out with their training camps.

Does suck for Boise though. Wouldn't shock me if the Stars dropped Idaho eventually and just went full head with the 3rd affiliate being the Americans (depending on how long the CHL lasts).

That would be the optimal choice for us.

BigG44 02-12-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrailSwan (Post 59563793)
That would be the optimal choice for us.

ECHL is still a better league than CHL.

FrailSwan 02-12-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 59564515)
ECHL is still a better league than CHL.

Was going by location.

Frozen Failure 02-12-2013 02:49 PM

ECHL is a hugely better league than the CHL. The CHL is garbage.

Shady12 02-12-2013 03:15 PM

Back when there was a CHL team here the difference wasn't that great between it and the CHL but that might have changed. If the CHL dies I figure the ECHL would be happy to have Allen.

Stars99Lobo37 02-12-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shady12 (Post 59568475)
Back when there was a CHL team here the difference wasn't that great between it and the CHL but that might have changed. If the CHL dies I figure the ECHL would be happy to have Allen.

It's definitely changed, especially since the Colorado Eagles jumped to the E. I've been saying it for a while now...the sooner Allen jumps over the better.

Fly Like a C5 02-12-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 59569275)
It's definitely changed, especially since the Colorado Eagles jumped to the E. I've been saying it for a while now...the sooner Allen jumps over the better.

Allen has an ownership group and arena capable of supporting an ECHL team. Its only a matter of time before they make that jump. With all the financial issues the CHL is having, it might not be long before Allen switches leagues.

Stars99Lobo37 02-13-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 (Post 59561475)
If they actually mean Fort Worth then they are probably looking at having it at the Fort Worth Convention center.

http://blogs.star-telegram.com/polit...tm_source=t.co

Confirms the Convention Center (also says at the Will Rogers Memorial Center, where the Fort Worth Red Wings/Fort Worth Texans played until the early 80s)

Fly Like a C5 02-13-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 (Post 59622851)
http://blogs.star-telegram.com/polit...tm_source=t.co

Confirms the Convention Center (also says at the Will Rogers Memorial Center, where the Fort Worth Red Wings/Fort Worth Texans played until the early 80s)

When the Brahmas still played in Fort Worth they would have a few games each year at the Will Roger arena. If they are even thinking of putting a NHL training camp at Will Roger then they need to improve the setup from when the Brahmas played there. For some reason the boards there didn't have doors for the benches or the penalty boxes.

BigG44 02-13-2013 10:59 AM

Regarding getting away ... like to Colorado or PEI ... it's doubtful they'd drive back and forth in traffic to Fort Worth every day. That could be up to 2 hours, if not more, of travel.

I'm sure the team will have a hotel in Fort Worth, and for the most part, they'd have the same set up as any other out of town city.

We know that's what GMJN likes to do, and the Stars organization has already tried to get away, so it's reasonable they'd manage to create the same scenario in Fort Worth.

Sports 02-13-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 59635563)
Regarding getting away ... like to Colorado or PEI ... it's doubtful they'd drive back and forth in traffic to Fort Worth every day. That could be up to 2 hours, if not more, of travel.

I'm sure the team will have a hotel in Fort Worth, and for the most part, they'd have the same set up as any other out of town city.

We know that's what GMJN likes to do, and the Stars organization has already tried to get away, so it's reasonable they'd manage to create the same scenario in Fort Worth.

I guess.
It wouldn't have to be cold-cold, but you'd think they'd like to stay away from the Texas summer as long as possible.
Boise being the only out of state connection in the organization would make it a pretty easy choice.
September there averages ~10 degrees lower highs, and 20 degree lower lows.
Nothing extreme.
Nothing wrong with doing a little Northwest fan-recruiting either.