HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Jarome Iginla (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1348631)

Ace Rimmer 02-12-2013 05:51 PM

Jarome Iginla
 
I'll preface this with this statement. I love Iginla. I have zero issue with him and if he wants to remain a Calgary Flame for the rest of his career, he should be.

That being said, it's obvious that there's a bit of a "**** or get off the pot" feeling starting to quietly emerge around Calgary. Does he stay? Does he get traded? What is going on?! Even former teammate Rhett Warrener has called him out, to an extent questioning his "fire" - although, I understand that Rhett is trying to gain listeners to some AM radio show...

It's no secret that Jarome Iginla has been notorious for "slow starts". However, that is somewhat incorrect, as he usually puts up decent numbers in the first ten games of the season - at least, until the past 2-3 years.

Iginla's First Ten Games

2005/06 - 2 goals, 5 assists. Finished season with 35 goals, 32 assists.
2006/07 - 6 goals, 5 assists. Finished season with 39 goals, 55 assists (70 games played)
2007/08 - 6 goals, 10 assists. Finished season with 50 goals, 48 assists.
2008/09 - 6 goals, 6 assists. Finished season with 35 goals, 54 assists.
2009/10 - 3 goals, 5 assists. Finished season with 32 goals, 37 assists.
2010/11 - 2 goals, 5 assists. Finished season with 43 goals, 43 assists.
2011/12 - 2 goals, 2 assists. Finished season with 32 goals, 35 assists.
2012/13 - 1 goal, 5 assists. Finished season with.... ?

It is not because he's not shooting - right now, he'd be on pace for around 336 shots in a full 82 game season, which would be his highest total since 2007/08

Is he distracted by contract negotiations? Trade rumours? Giordano's TV ads for a rival bank?

Or is he just a power forward that is just past his prime? And can he re-invent his game to remain an above average player for the years to come?

TheHudlinator 02-12-2013 05:56 PM

We are currently seeing him try to re-event himself, he cannot play as physical as he did in his younger years, he isn't as fast and can't blow by and can't not knock over the opposition. Because of this he is now trying to play smart, make quicker passes and get in more effective shooting positions instead of simply taking it to the net. I don't think it is a problem but I would like to see him play with another shooter like Cammy as many people still believe he is that power forward and it would give Cammy a lot of free space.

I am probably one of the biggest Iginla defenders and I think it is that I simply don't expect what I did 5-10 years ago, you can see his game is changing and I respect him for trying to find a way to stay effective as he has recognized that he isn't able to play the same way anymore.

Flamer12 02-12-2013 06:07 PM

From my view, take away the last two games and he has been a dominant forward even though he isn't scoring. He has controlled the play in the offensive zone. Made some beautiful passes that only he can make. He is extremely underated as a play maker. So, I was very happy after 6 games. After watching the last two, I am starting to get a bit worried. Hate to see him traded but if he is, what can they get for him. Is a first round pick or a first and second from Piitsburgh or Philly worth it. Those guys draft so far down its to much of a gamble. If they trade him they have to get proven young players. Otherwise keep him.

Calculon 02-12-2013 06:22 PM

He does seem to be a little distracted by his status and whether or not he remains a Flame. And I'm sure this process of 'do I ask for a trade' or 'walk as a free agent' is weighing on him.

His age is probably a factor as well. One can't reasonably expect him to be the same player at 36 compared to what he was at 26.

But there's a change in the dynamic of the team which has to be considered. The increased offensive potency of the Flames (when healthy) means there's less of an onus on him to be the savior. More than than, because he's no longer the go-to guy, the offense doesn't run through him anymore - his linemates won't always be looking to pass to him when they're on the ice nor will he be getting all of the most favourable opportunities. His point totals will drop as a result.

Still, it's not like he isn't getting chances. He's been pretty good in his overall play. Overall, it may just be another slow start. As I said earlier, these things will probably get more pronounced as time goes on. During his slow start years, it usually took him about a month to get in his usual flow, if he took part in training camp and played at least a few pre-season games. Without those, it took him a little longer, almost two months. Give it to the last week of February to see where he is. Getting Cammalleri back should help his production too as opposing teams can't concentrate on him alone.

Oh, and he changed his power-forward game to more of a finesse style after the 05-06 season when he realized the importance of speed and quickness in the new NHL. If he's declining now, it may be because of an overall decline in his abilities.

Flames92 02-12-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHudlinator (Post 59576195)
We are currently seeing him try to re-event himself, he cannot play as physical as he did in his younger years, he isn't as fast and can't blow by and can't not knock over the opposition. Because of this he is now trying to play smart, make quicker passes and get in more effective shooting positions instead of simply taking it to the net. I don't think it is a problem but I would like to see him play with another shooter like Cammy as many people still believe he is that power forward and it would give Cammy a lot of free space.

I am probably one of the biggest Iginla defenders and I think it is that I simply don't expect what I did 5-10 years ago, you can see his game is changing and I respect him for trying to find a way to stay effective as he has recognized that he isn't able to play the same way anymore.

I agree. Iginla's best game IMO was when we had the Cammalleri-Tanguay-Iginla line formed. Its a shame Cammalleri got a little injury because it seemed like both of them were about to get going. Apparently he's good to go tommorow so i'd like to see them playing together again. Looking at these stats from each season and seeing his point totals when he finishes makes me believe that he will break out in the next few games and we shouldn't be too concerned.

Qubax 02-12-2013 11:08 PM

I love those stats in the OP.

It WILL be time to trade Iginla if it looks like the Flames won't make the playoffs come deadline time, BUT that has nothing to do with him slowing down etc., I basically guarantee wherever Iginla plays his next 3 years(after this year) he'll average 30-40-70, hardly slowing down imo.

You look at the Jackets getting:

Dubinsky
Anisimov
Erixon
1st

Now the Flames will NOT get nearily as much for Jarome, but what about something like:

Iginla
3rd Round 2014

to

Anaheim for:

Peter Holland
Andrew Cogliano
1st Rounder - 2013

...something like that would be fair, and good for Calgary imo. 2 Picks in a deep draft, a big Centreman with potential ...

I'd be okay with trading someone like Horak, or Bouma instead of the 3rd Round 2014

Method Man 02-13-2013 01:39 AM

The problem is clearly the Giordano ads. I mean really how dare Giordano get involved with a rival bank, especially one that is not the sponsor of your home arena. That would cause problems in any dressing room.

DBU 02-13-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat (Post 59624169)
The problem is clearly the Giordano ads. I mean really how dare Giordano get involved with a rival bank, especially one that is not the sponsor of your home arena. That would cause problems in any dressing room.

I think the bigger problem is that he's out there smashing vending machines and hitting on younger girls. You're married, Gio!

Method Man 02-13-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Sauce (Post 59629961)
I think the bigger problem is that he's out there smashing vending machines and hitting on younger girls. You're married, Gio!

I think he hit that vending machine harder than he has hit an opponent this year.

DBU 02-13-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat (Post 59641171)
I think he hit that vending machine harder than he has hit an opponent this year.

:laugh:

InfinityIggy 02-13-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qubax (Post 59617715)
I love those stats in the OP.

It WILL be time to trade Iginla if it looks like the Flames won't make the playoffs come deadline time, BUT that has nothing to do with him slowing down etc., I basically guarantee wherever Iginla plays his next 3 years(after this year) he'll average 30-40-70, hardly slowing down imo.

You look at the Jackets getting:

Dubinsky
Anisimov
Erixon
1st


Now the Flames will NOT get nearily as much for Jarome, but what about something like:

Iginla
3rd Round 2014

to

Anaheim for:

Peter Holland
Andrew Cogliano
1st Rounder - 2013

...something like that would be fair, and good for Calgary imo. 2 Picks in a deep draft, a big Centreman with potential ...

I'd be okay with trading someone like Horak, or Bouma instead of the 3rd Round 2014

Why do people keep comparing the Nash trade to Iginla?

Nash DEMANDED A TRADE. How many times does it need to be stated over, and over and over again. :shakehead

TheHudlinator 02-13-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 59642675)
Why do people keep comparing the Nash trade to Iginla?

Nash DEMANDED A TRADE. How many times does it need to be stated over, and over and over again. :shakehead

I don't think it is a terrible comparable, Iginla is a better player but is a UFA next year, but isn't looking to get moved like Nash was.

Method Man 02-13-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHudlinator (Post 59643653)
I don't think it is a terrible comparable, Iginla is a better player but is a UFA next year, but isn't looking to get moved like Nash was.

I think its a poor comparable. Nash not only demanded a trade but he has a very large long term contract. The contract itself limited potential buyers, Nash demanding a trade while refusing to waive for certain teams made the market for him no more than a couple teams.

TheHudlinator 02-13-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat (Post 59644381)
I think its a poor comparable. Nash not only demanded a trade but he has a very large long term contract. The contract itself limited potential buyers, Nash demanding a trade while refusing to waive for certain teams made the market for him no more than a couple teams.

I really don't think it is I doubt we could get anymore than what Columbus got, they got
good prospect (erixon)
1st round pick
young roster player (Anisimov)
and a overpaid but still useful player (Dubinsky)

I would accept
Maatta
1st
Tangardi

for Iginla and I don't think that is better then what Columbus got

InfinityIggy 02-13-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat (Post 59644381)
I think its a poor comparable. Nash not only demanded a trade but he has a very large long term contract. The contract itself limited potential buyers, Nash demanding a trade while refusing to waive for certain teams made the market for him no more than a couple teams.

This.

They may return similar VALUE. But it won't because the situations are in any way comparable.

Method Man 02-13-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHudlinator (Post 59644677)
I really don't think it is I doubt we could get anymore than what Columbus got, they got
good prospect (erixon)
1st round pick
young roster player (Anisimov)
and a overpaid but still useful player (Dubinsky)

I would accept
Maatta
1st
Tangardi

for Iginla and I don't think that is better then what Columbus got

yes but the guy starting the discussion was saying the Flames would not even get close to that. I took it as you were agreeing with him, but maybe I misinterpreted that.

TheHudlinator 02-13-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat (Post 59644977)
yes but the guy starting the discussion was saying the Flames would not even get close to that. I took it as you were agreeing with him, but maybe I misinterpreted that.

No I disagree about the fact we won't get close to the same value, obviously the situation is different but I think the value of both players is similar.

FLAMESFAN 02-13-2013 01:56 PM

I'd love to see Iginla traded to a Cup fav to put them over the top. He is no longer the go to guy, but would be a huge factor to any team as a secondary player. I think this is really important this year because I'd love Iggy to be rejuvinated with a change of scenery, and make a run at a 4th olympics.
If we are going to trade him it better be to a great team, and not just for the highest return.

Flames92 02-13-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN (Post 59645327)
I'd love to see Iginla traded to a Cup fav to put them over the top. He is no longer the go to guy, but would be a huge factor to any team as a secondary player. I think this is really important this year because I'd love Iggy to be rejuvinated with a change of scenery, and make a run at a 4th olympics.
If we are going to trade him it better be to a great team, and not just for the highest return.

I disagree, the only reason we would trade Iginla is to get good pieces and start rebuilding the team. If the best offer happens to be from the Blue Jackets, we take that offer. I wish nothing but the best for Jarome and I want him to get a cup but we gota think about the future of the team more importantly.

Trae 02-13-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames92 (Post 59645637)
I disagree, the only reason we would trade Iginla is to get good pieces and start rebuilding the team. If the best offer happens to be from the Blue Jackets, we take that offer. I wish nothing but the best for Jarome and I want him to get a cup but we gota think about the future of the team more importantly.

Iginla isn't going to accept a trade to Columbus though, regardless of what happens, he would be traded to good team, his choice.

Flames92 02-13-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 59645895)
Iginla isn't going to accept a trade to Columbus though, regardless of what happens, he would be traded to good team, his choice.

I used Columbus as an example, im sure if he does get traded it will be to a playoff team, I don't think which team he will waive his NMC is that big of a deal since he is a UFA in the summer and can go wherever he wants.

InfinityIggy 02-13-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trae (Post 59645895)
Iginla isn't going to accept a trade to Columbus though, regardless of what happens, he would be traded to good team, his choice.

True, not to worry though, Iginla should only peak the interest of Playoff teams, so no matter what he should go to a good team, maybe a cup favorite.

SmellOfVictory 02-13-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHudlinator (Post 59576195)
We are currently seeing him try to re-event himself, he cannot play as physical as he did in his younger years, he isn't as fast and can't blow by and can't not knock over the opposition. Because of this he is now trying to play smart, make quicker passes and get in more effective shooting positions instead of simply taking it to the net. I don't think it is a problem but I would like to see him play with another shooter like Cammy as many people still believe he is that power forward and it would give Cammy a lot of free space.

I am probably one of the biggest Iginla defenders and I think it is that I simply don't expect what I did 5-10 years ago, you can see his game is changing and I respect him for trying to find a way to stay effective as he has recognized that he isn't able to play the same way anymore.

Yup, he looks a lot different to me than he did four years ago, or even the last couple. He went from an absolutely dominant power forward to sort of a perimeter sniper, and I think he's currently working out a way to be more effective in an overall sense. A lot more passing, and he's doing more work in the crease area than I can remember in quite some time.

BVicious 02-13-2013 04:30 PM

Iginla leads all NHL players for the last decade in shots to the logo.

Hardly a sniper anymore. Hardly a power forward anymore.

Still my favorite player of all time.

Trae 02-13-2013 05:10 PM

I would be happy with any return that included a 1st round pick and decent prospect, whatever else is added, gravy. I would just like to see him succeed. Although I think with a shortened season, it would be swell if there was a bidding war and someone overpays.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.