HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Diving Poke Checks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1348651)

doughmadore 02-12-2013 06:18 PM

Diving Poke Checks

I play in a D level league where most of the guys are just starting out or have played for a year or so. There's this one guy who tries very hard but has a lot of body control issues which is totally fine and acceptable at this level. I get it and was there. The issue is that he flies around the rink at absurdly crazy out of control speeds where he ultimately ends up crashing hard into the boards or into another player. I do my best to stay away from this guy but his latest maneuver is sprawling across the ice at player's legs in an attempt to poke check the puck away when defending. I'm already irritated by this guy and this new habit is just really dangerous. Would you call this guy out, tell the ref, or the league? I'm not the type to complain or start trouble but I really think that this type of behavior in D level hockey is unacceptable and will probably result in someone getting hurt.

AIREAYE 02-12-2013 06:39 PM

Talk to the guy. An honest and friendly conversation does wonders.

nystromshairstylist 02-12-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doughmadore (Post 59577295)
I play in a D level league where most of the guys are just starting out or have played for a year or so. There's this one guy who tries very hard but has a lot of body control issues which is totally fine and acceptable at this level. I get it and was there. The issue is that he flies around the rink at absurdly crazy out of control speeds where he ultimately ends up crashing hard into the boards or into another player. I do my best to stay away from this guy but his latest maneuver is sprawling across the ice at player's legs in an attempt to poke check the puck away when defending. I'm already irritated by this guy and this new habit is just really dangerous. Would you call this guy out, tell the ref, or the league? I'm not the type to complain or start trouble but I really think that this type of behavior in D level hockey is unacceptable and will probably result in someone getting hurt.

There is someone at my scrimmages who does this, and I practice doing a toe drag right around him. Doesn't work every time, but with decent puck control and the ability to mohawk sideways around the diver you'll be able to sidestep them and continue with the play while they slide along the ice on their stomach like a penguin out of the play.

deeman 02-13-2013 06:48 AM

I can't help but laugh when I read your post. The visual of some guy with decent speed but lacking to ability to stop very well is pretty funny!

tarheelhockey 02-13-2013 08:08 AM

It might be worth talking to the ref about it. Not in front of everyone, but maybe during warmup just casually come over to him and say, "hey, you see #4 over there? Can you keep an eye on him diving at people's feet? He's not trying to hurt anyone, but he doesn't seem to understand where the line is drawn. 'Preciate it."

And that's it. The ref won't promise anything, but he'll see what you're seeing when it happens. And unlike the other players, the ref is in a position to pull that guy aside with some authority and explain that he'll spend half the game in the box if he keeps making dangerous plays.

CoopALoop 02-13-2013 11:00 AM

Sounds like someone has played too much NHL 13

pelts35.com 02-13-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman (Post 59626815)
I can't help but laugh when I read your post. The visual of some guy with decent speed but lacking to ability to stop very well is pretty funny!

jw2 02-13-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman (Post 59626815)

I picutre Happy Gilmore

mistrhanky 02-13-2013 03:13 PM

I would talk to the guy off to the side. If that gets no improvement, then move up the chain. A friendly talk about how effort level is great but someone is going to get really hurt(likely him) would make the difference for a lot of people. Have him look around and see if he notices anyone else(better players) doing this. Better yet, show him video of himself, it might look a lot different than he thinks. Hockey is not best played on your ass.

neksys 02-13-2013 03:49 PM

Every team has a bit of an elder statesman. Maybe its you, but its the guy who can hand out a bit of advice here and there without sounding critical. I would chat with that guy.

The biggest problem is that it is hard to learn control when you're always out of control. Pushing your limits is important, but constantly playing outside them is quite another.

beenhereandthere 02-13-2013 04:07 PM

Just think, unless you're trying to block of a passing lane and there's no forward/dman around you (you still could mess up your goalie though), that diving to break up plays in rec/open hockey is dangerous and not worth it, didn't hurt me, but had a guy do this last night right behind me after he gave the puck up.

Wilch 02-14-2013 08:00 AM

Might be a good idea to talk to him.

Make sure he isn't crazy thought.

Hockey rinks have one of the worst insane to sane ratio of all public places.

Last time I told some dude he has ketchup stains on his cheek and he challenged me to drop gloves.

mistrhanky 02-14-2013 02:21 PM

Wow. That guy takes his condiment hygiene seriously.

BADoglick 02-18-2013 05:25 AM

Honestly, I play in a puck C league, and I play pretty damn recklessly, except I have more experience and body control. Plus I'm big, and I know how to stop. But a lot of times I kinda just throw my size and weight to gain position (6'3, 205) or use my stick a lot. And most the time I do it well and play cleanly but aggressively, but once in a while I'll get a hook or slash, and I usually avoid dangerous collisions with people, but sometimes when gaining position they'll get knocked over when I cut in front of them and rock the boards at a dead stop when they were skating in the direction of the boards. So basically I get in their way, they run into me, 9 times out of 10 I'm bigger than them, and they get knocked back while I run away with the puck back around my net (I play defense). But no....I never flop