HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   White Vs. Black Protective Netting (23/30 Teams Use Black) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1348915)

Tough Guy 02-12-2013 10:36 PM

White Vs. Black Protective Netting (23/30 Teams Use Black)

So it turns out that 23 out of 30 teams use black protective netting. I have no earthly idea why black wasn't made the official shade of netting and why 7 teams are allowed to use white. The white netting really is an eyesore. The NHL should make black netting a league-wide standard to protect idiot ownership (like in Toronto) from themselves.

Black in Boston (barely noticeable/looks great on TV):

http://jgwhockey9.edublogs.org/files...-banknorth.jpg

White in Toronto (total eyesore/looks hideous on TV and even worse in person):

http://lifeofryan.ca/wp-content/uplo...ada-Center.jpg

*Update* The following is a complete list of all teams and whether they use black or white netting:

Black:

Boston
Chicago
Ottawa
Montreal
Minnesota
Tampa Bay
Florida
Winnipeg
Nashville
Edmonton
Vancouver
New York (Islanders)
Colorado
Calgary
Detroit
New York (Rangers)
Pittsburgh
San Jose
Washington
Phoenix
Anaheim
Carolina
Los Angeles

White:

Toronto
New Jersey
Columbus (not 100% sure)
St. Louis
Buffalo
Philadelphia
Dallas

CanadianHockey 02-12-2013 10:38 PM

I assume some teams feel white is better for fans in attendance who have to look past the netting to see the ice.

KapG 02-12-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianHockey (Post 59614969)
I assume some teams feel white is better for fans in attendance who have to look past the netting to see the ice.

for sure they do.

Id much rather not have the black mesh. Why the **** would I want to look through that when the ice is all white........

Mayor Bee 02-12-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Dawg (Post 59614753)
White in Toronto (total eyesore/looks hideous on TV and even worse in person):

How's it look while actually sitting behind the netting?

Penalty Kill Icing* 02-12-2013 10:42 PM

I have never noticed meshing for games from ACC.

For a fair comparison, I'd need a picture of TD Garden ice, where netting actually comes in the way.

If I am going to check out other fans, then white netting could be problem. Otherwise, white it should be.

loobarlow 02-12-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 59615235)

That's a good question, because you'd assume that white would clash a lot less than black netting if you were looking at the ice.

Mayor Bee 02-12-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loobarlow (Post 59615415)
That's a good question, because you'd assume that white would clash a lot less than black netting if you were looking at the ice.

I'm just happy that the Toronto picture now provides me with a counter to the standard "look at how empty this non-traditional team's arena is!" That looks like an opening faceoff to me right there.

Tough Guy 02-12-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KapG (Post 59615129)
for sure they do.

Id much rather not have the black mesh. Why the **** would I want to look through that when the ice is all white........

Have you ever been to a game at the ACC? The white mesh reflects so much light that it's way more distracting than black would be. Just because it's white doesn't mean it blends in with the ice. It definitely does not blend in at all.

Look at the pictures. In Boston, you can see the fans clearly. In Toronto, you can barely see anything. The black mesh is like it's not even there.

Tough Guy 02-12-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 59615235)

Really bad. I went to see a blackhawks game a few years ago when Wendel Clark got his number retired.

The game was great, but I was sitting behind the net and the mesh was just awful. It took a lot away from the game, to be honest. I'd never sit behind that mesh again.

MTrangers 02-12-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Dawg (Post 59615729)
Have you ever been to a game at the ACC? The white mesh reflects so much light that it's way more distracting than black would be. Just because it's white doesn't mean it blends in with the ice. It definitely does not blend in at all.

Look at the pictures. In Boston, you can see the fans clearly. In Toronto, you can barely see anything. The black mesh is like it's not even there.

Yeah but the point isn't how it looks on tv or how it looks to the crowd across from them. We are supposed to be watching the game. Like another poster mentioned the white clashes less with the ice for those in the section who have to actually look through it. That is what should matter.

Tough Guy 02-12-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 59615619)
I'm just happy that the Toronto picture now provides me with a counter to the standard "look at how empty this non-traditional team's arena is!" That looks like an opening faceoff to me right there.

Toronto games are always 100% sold out. No idea what's going on in that one.

Tough Guy 02-12-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTrangers (Post 59616249)
Yeah but the point isn't how it looks on tv or how it looks to the crowd across from them. We are supposed to be watching the game. Like another poster mentioned the white clashes less with the ice for those in the section who have to actually look through it. That is what should matter.

Says who? Have you personally watched games with both? I have personally watched a game with the white netting and it clashed with the ice plenty. It looked horrible.

And TV is actually more important anyway.

Novak Djokovic 02-12-2013 10:56 PM

Also, isn't it better to have a white net, because it makes the refs jobs easier as it provides a sharp contrast to the puck?

Paranoid Android 02-12-2013 10:58 PM

seems like the white netting is only visible when you are looking at the stands

IU Hawks fan 02-12-2013 11:01 PM

United Center uses black. I forget it's even there, and I nearly always sit behind the net or in a corner.

Ash35 02-12-2013 11:08 PM

I have to agree with the OP. I've sat behind the mess at the ACC and it is quite distracting.

danishh 02-12-2013 11:14 PM

this is the black netting at SBP. Similar at the Centre Bell.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...il_29_2006.jpg

black netting is fine for the fans in the arena. White netting is stupid.

Tough Guy 02-12-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan (Post 59617173)
United Center uses black. I forget it's even there, and I nearly always sit behind the net or in a corner.

Thanks for the input.

So we have first-hand information that the black is barely noticeable from a fan's perspective. And I can 100% vouch for the white netting being ugly and VERY noticeable at the arena. In fact, the very first thing you notice when you walk into the ACC are those ugly nets. They reflect a lot of light and make the arena look dingy. The difference between a Leafs and Raptors game is night and day.

Butch 19 02-12-2013 11:33 PM

black, white, who cares? All I know is the mesh is too tight!

Tough Guy 02-12-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 59618129)
this is the black netting at SBP. Similar at the Centre Bell.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...il_29_2006.jpg

black netting is fine for the fans in the arena. White netting is stupid.

OK, I'm actually pissed right now. Why is the league allowing those white monstrosities when the black looks perfect?

I just watched some highlights at NHL.com and you literally cannot even tell there is netting in Boston or Chicago. It's basically invisible and looks great on TV. Watching Leafs highlights, all you can see is the giant netting.

BWJM 02-12-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Dawg (Post 59616393)

Right before puck drop for the start of the first, like that a lot.

Butch 19 02-12-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Dawg (Post 59616393)

Likely casual fans strolling in late 1st / early 2nd periods.

Tough Guy 02-13-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWJM (Post 59619891)
Right before puck drop for the start of the first, like that a lot.

Toronto fans really are terrible. They show up late, leave early, and spend half of every period in the luxury suites eating sushi and making business deals.

Why bother going to the game at all?

17futurecap 02-13-2013 12:20 AM

Sit in the corner for Rangers games, and the black netting has never bothered me once.

Vancouver Canucks* 02-13-2013 12:32 AM

http://ollieharris.files.wordpress.c...ey_canucks.jpg