HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NHL Draft - Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   THROWER or DIETZ (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1349083)

ulysse84 02-13-2013 06:29 AM

THROWER or DIETZ

I would like to know your opinion
on ... THROWER and DIETZ
(Mostly, BLADES supporters/fans)

Which is more improved
the most robust
the most reliable / constant
the most faster
the best fighter

so ... who has the best chance
to play NHL one day
according to you

or if you prefer
which would you take between 2
only

only 5 months
separate the two

DIETZ (July 93) <---> THROWER (Dec. 93)

thank you all:)

R S 02-13-2013 10:59 AM

Dietz for me.

He's a student of the game, always asking questions and wanting to learn more from the coaches. Is the hardest worker on the team and is a gym rat (some worry he works out too much, in fact). Went from being a 16 year old playing midget who hung out with the wrong crowd and wasn't going anywhere, to being a 17 year old rookie on the Blades who was then drafted by the Montreal Canadiens. He's only improved exponentially since then, too.

Thrower is absolutely more skilled and has higher potential, but he doesn't have the same attitude as Dietz and isn't nearly as consistent.

Maitz 02-13-2013 11:47 AM

I'd say Dietz, saw him at the rookie camp last year and I was really impressed by him. Good shot, good skating, could'nt believe he was a 5th round pick. Might be a diamond in the rough.

For Thrower, haven't really saw him so I coulnd't tell. Heard some rumors about his attitude on and off the ice, so that may be a concern.

odessa 02-13-2013 12:24 PM

Is Dietz playing next season with the Bulldogs?

ulysse84 02-13-2013 12:49 PM

thank you all
DIETZ and THOWER
could play AHL next year

they are born in 1993

R S 02-13-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odessa (Post 59640051)
Is Dietz playing next season with the Bulldogs?

Once he gets signed, I would imagine so, yes. Spoke to him recently about contract talks and he says it's now Bergevin's policy to not talk during the season.

Crimson Skorpion 02-13-2013 02:04 PM

Dietz, all-around. Thrower is rougher and grittier but overall, Dietz will be the better D-man.

Et le But 02-13-2013 11:07 PM

Dietz for everything except fighting.

David Thicke 02-14-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Et le But (Post 59685895)
Dietz for everything except fighting.

I have to disagree with the fighting part, Dietz can be mean and nasty. He's got hammers for hands when he punches and he fought anyone in his first couple of years in the WHL. The coach has asked him to stay away from the fighting unless defending a teammate or the goalie. Dietz is the heavy shot on the power play and has more offensive upside than Thrower while being more fluid in all four directions than Thrower.

Thrower is scrappy but has to get a better attitude towards wanting to be a pro. His work ethic is questionable and he's let his head get too big after the draft. His skating needs a lot of work, if you watch closely he has trouble with his pivots which can be exploited by the pros, gets caught puck watching around his end and his angling is terrible. Thrower gives up the middle of the ice way too often and misses his hits where Dietz can crush people and plays more controlled. I could show you lots of highlites of the Blades being scored on with the two players involved at different times and you will see that Thrower is caught turning to his strong side only and putting his back to the on-rushing forward which is a bad habit and needs to be fixed now. In the NHL or AHL, the forward will see that he turns the wrong way just once and will simply get him to turn then pull back behind him once he turns his back. It makes it really easy to get to the slot for a scoring opportunity on Thrower with just a little deke and delay move. He needs to be taught how to box out better in front of his net and never give the middle of the ice, just let the player go wide and a bad angle then plaster him into the corner as he cuts to the net. He needs a lot of work on his non-plant leg turns so he's not weak on the pivots, it's in his footwork. I won't be surprised if the Canadiens return him to junior next year in order to see him be more dominant at that level instead of bringing him to the AHL. He will have to really improve from now to next year's training camp.

Just my opinion from watching him and Dietz for the last two seasons.:cheers:

S E P H 02-14-2013 02:20 PM

RS clearly hit the nail on the head here

Dietz has progressively improve his overall game and uses his smarts to get himself out of sticky situations. As RS said, his work ethic will be his best skill with skating and IQ as 2nd/3rd. When you have those as your best attributes, the sky is the limit.

Thrower is more prone to inconsistent stretches, but his best skills are more physical skills that could make it easier for him to translate into the NHL (He's physical, great shot, and good frame).

As RS said Thrower has more potential, but Dietz is the safer pick. I do prefer Dietz as well, but because of his skating and his IQ in all three zones will do wonders for him, IMO.