HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Is ROR's sense of entitlement warranted? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1349215)

ToddRundgren 02-13-2013 10:40 AM

Is ROR's sense of entitlement warranted?

Do you agree or disagree with O'Reilly's position? He thinks fairly highly of himself and maybe doesn't give enough credit to the organization that gave him those opportunities.

$5 million dollars (rumored he is seeking this) for a guy whose high is 18 goals. What do you think?

SirPaste 02-13-2013 10:42 AM

Granted we dont know the details for sure, but he sure does seem to be asking for a heck of a lot for a guy who has had one good season and never even reached 60 points.

djf 02-13-2013 11:02 AM

Don't blame him for doing what he does but and trying to get paid. But he's not done enough to warrant that kind of pay ... yet

habs03 02-13-2013 11:03 AM

Can someone please provide some info on his play, I've read that in his first 2 season, he was great, but the numbers don't show it. To me it seems like he had a breakout year, but again numbers don't look THAT great.

can someone give me a good comparable of another player in the league, is he expected to be a 2nd line centre, or is he playing like a number 1 centre but stats just dont show?

Freudian 02-13-2013 11:06 AM

I think it's not all about the money. I think his agent used stats to tell Avs how much he should make and Avs used stats to tell the players he shouldn't. The player took it personal and the relationship deteriorated.

I think it's more about stubbornness and pride than about money at this stage. Avs always dig in and now they had a player dig in as hard and what should be an easy situation turned into a giant mess.

Vankiller Whale 02-13-2013 11:12 AM

If he's really asking for 5 mil, then yes, he's full of it. It's only a bridge contract, and should probably be no more than 3-4 mil.

Pi 02-13-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian (Post 59635879)
I think it's not all about the money. I think his agent used stats to tell Avs how much he should make and Avs used stats to tell the players he shouldn't. The player took it personal and the relationship deteriorated.

I think it's more about stubbornness and pride than about money at this stage. Avs always dig in and now they had a player dig in as hard and what should be an easy situation turned into a giant mess.

Do you think he changes the amount of $$ he thinks he should earn if he's traded?

5x5 for ROR is still a risk right now.

Most players that have received those type of deals were top picks that produced a good amount of points in their 1st or 2nd year of their ELC.

Him breaking out in his 3rd year of his ELC makes things a bit complicated.

I think he isn't entitled to what he's asking. I don't see why he didn't just take the bridge deal, prove the Avs that they were wrong, and then he can ask for 5M+ and the Avs would gladly give it.

Oiled up* 02-13-2013 11:40 AM

No and because of that he is not worth what a lot of people thinks he is. He`s a good player but this is a debacle of massive proportions will be a worst poison in the dressing room of the avs if he comes back now than it was for Subban. Imo the Avs will be disappointed with the return but if they play it smart like Gillis is with that goalie debacle over there... who knows.

Ivan13 02-13-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancelotLink (Post 59634587)
Do you agree or disagree with O'Reilly's position? He thinks fairly highly of himself and maybe doesn't give enough credit to the organization that gave him those opportunities.

$5 million dollars (rumored he is seeking this) for a guy whose high is 18 goals. What do you think?

His goal totals have little do do with his value to the team. My answer is yes without a doubt.

MastuhNinks 02-13-2013 12:19 PM

Well from what I can tell it seems most Avs fans have sided with ROR throughout this whole debacle so I'd have to go with yes. If anything they should be mad at him, but they've seen him play the most and the fact that most of them are siding with the player speaks volumes.

Trance Kuja 02-13-2013 12:23 PM

No, it's not.

TorstenFrings 02-13-2013 12:29 PM

Based on those rumored demands and what Avs previously said about rumored offers made to him, I voted no. Obviously all my info may be wrong or too limited to $$$, so itīs a somewhat guarded no.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 02-13-2013 12:33 PM

Hope the Avs stand their ground. RoR hasn't done **** to warrant that kind of pay-day.

Regal 02-13-2013 12:55 PM

He may have been worth about 5 based on his play last year, considering what Zajac, Grabovski, Staal, etc. make. Still, the offense wasn't there the first two years and he hasn't proven he should be making that much yet. I like the bridge contract and I think a lot of guys get paid too early. Good on the Avs for not giving in.

I wonder though if one of the reasons he doesn't seem to want a bridge deal is he's worried about the numbers he'll put up with a healthy Duchene, and how that will affect his third contract if he goes that route. He got a lot more opportunity last year than he normally would as the third guy behind Duchene and Stastny, and despite their chemistry last year it's no guarantee he'd keep playing with Landy, giving him lesser linemates to work with as well.

jfisher6 02-13-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastuhNinks (Post 59639813)
Well from what I can tell it seems most Avs fans have sided with ROR throughout this whole debacle so I'd have to go with yes. If anything they should be mad at him, but they've seen him play the most and the fact that most of them are siding with the player speaks volumes.

From what I've seen, most Avs fans just want something to happen and for the circus to end. Trade him, sign him, do something.

I for one, do not believe ROR to be worth 5 million a year. I think it will cripple us in a few years

Ceremony 02-13-2013 01:50 PM

No, he isn't. Say what you want about how this has been handled but by all accounts he's asking for more than he's worth, more than all his comparables are worth.

BrickAHL 02-13-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion (Post 59640651)
Hope the Avs stand their ground. RoR hasn't done **** to warrant that kind of pay-day.

Agreed.

BrickAHL 02-13-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastuhNinks (Post 59639813)

That is not true. A lot of us (including me) are siding with the Avs management.

BeastoftheEast85 02-13-2013 03:20 PM

I wouldn't say its warranted but there is probably a little fault on both sides. I think he is worth 4mill in a fair youth contract in today's NHL (Probably 5 in an offer sheet) but the Avs are likely trying to get him to take a decent sized discount. I'm not an expert on the situation by any means but I think if the Avs make him a fair market offer; RoR seemed like a quality player and would probably take it.

Sergei Berezin 02-13-2013 03:23 PM

Anyone think that ROR doesn't think he'll ever hit 55 points again? haha

It'd certainly explain a lot :laugh:

Tkachuk4MVP 02-13-2013 03:23 PM

If what's been reported is true and he was offered the exact same deal as Duchene, then there's no freakin way it's warranted.

Rhaego 02-13-2013 03:28 PM

If he's really going for 5 million, yes...

I think there's a bigger problem between how he's viewed in the organization in relation to Duchene. His agent has done a terrible job of filtering what the organization has said.

Do Make Say Think 02-13-2013 03:34 PM

Colorado gave up on Anderson who is currently the best goaltender in the NHL (stats wise)

I don't know much about RoR so I can't give an honest informed opinion on if he is or is not being reasonnable but Colorado's recent track record isn't all that great.

eklunds source 02-13-2013 04:10 PM

I won't comment on his character because I (nor anyone here, most likely) knows a thing about him personally, but..

Should the Jets Acquire O'Reilly
- Pretty clearly the second best forward on the team (after Landeskrog). Every Avalanche player benefitted (most immensely) from playing with O'Reilly:

Hejduk without O'Reilly, 49.3% of shots
Hejduk with O'Reilly, 55.6% of shots

Winnik with O'Reilly, 57.5% of shots
Winnik without O'Reilly, 50.2% of shots

Downie with O'Reilly, 56.1% of shots
Downie without O'Reilly, 51.0% of shots

Olver with ROR, 57.4% of shots
Olver without ROR, 49.9% of shots

- Faced the second hardest competition (also after Landeskrog). This makes the fact he improved other players even more impressive, because they were also facing tougher opponents when they played with ROR.

- Led the team in scoring, despite an awfully unlucky on-ice shooting percentage of 6.54%. The league average is 8.3 and most top-line forwards are somewhere between 8.5 to 9.5%. For comparison, Getzlaf also had a very unlucky year with on-ice sh% (7.42%), he also faced the toughest competition, and he outscored O'Reilly by just 2 points.

- Did that all at the age of 21.

Given that there's only 30-odd games left this year, I don't think we'll really see what he can do even if he does play this year, but I would not be surprised, at all, to see him be a Loui Eriksson type of player in '13-'14. IMO, ~70 points with fantastic 2-way play is not at all out of the question.

GM17* 02-13-2013 04:20 PM

No player should take advantage of a team on their RFA year, especially when the team didn't have the option for arbitration (right?).