HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Free agent head coach pool (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1350083)

OilJuice 02-14-2013 06:23 AM

Free agent head coach pool

• Ron Wilson
  • Jacques Martin
  • Guy Carbonneau
  • Mike Keenan
  • Dave King
  • Marc Crawford
  • Bob Gainey
  • Joe Sacco
  • Craig Hartsburg
  • Brent Sutter
  • Cory Clouston
  • Scott Arniel
  • Tom Renney

Now that the heads have started rolling in the GM department, coaches' turn can't be that far ahead. Each team has of course its own unique situation and needs but I guess we could speculate a little here on the free agent coach roster.

Which coach do you see getting the call? Do you consider some of them damaged goods or past their expiration date? Assistant coaches / AHL head coaches ready to step up? The list above is just to mention a few names, feel free to add more. Personally I would like to see coachrw63 and Iron Mike back behind the bench.

Honour Over Glory 02-14-2013 06:31 AM

When was the last time Mike Keenan was employed by an NHL club? And Bob Gainey stopped being a full time head coach a long time ago, the only time he coached the last few years when he was employed was in an interim capacity. The rest, I guess there is a reason they are still unemployed (for those on the list that still are, I mean). Crawford is done as a coach I think, he'll be a TV analyst for the rest of his days.

I would say Wilson & Martin would be the two guys that probably get hired, the rest...not so much.

And Sacco is still employed.

Edit: Keenan last coached in 2008-09, had a record of 88-60 with the Flames, he's now working with MSG Broadcasts.

Honour Over Glory 02-14-2013 06:43 AM

You should look at the AHL coaches, it's funny seeing so many Ex-NHL'ers being coaches there.

Daniels, Richardson, Gernander, Larsen, Pellerin, Evason, Yawney, Nelson, Eakins...

Bubba88 02-14-2013 06:43 AM

somehow, I think Sutter is the best of them

Pyrophorus 02-14-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory (Post 59693833)
You should look at the AHL coaches, it's funny seeing so many Ex-NHL'ers being coaches there.

Daniels, Richardson, Gernander, Larsen, Pellerin, Evason, Yawney, Nelson, Eakins...

He is locked in for this season.

I can't see Wilson getting another job.

The Angry Teatowel 02-14-2013 08:03 AM

Did Joe Sacco get fired on the quiet?! Wishful thinking as an Avs fan...

Ceremony 02-14-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Angry Teatowel (Post 59694951)
Did Joe Sacco get fired on the quiet?! Wishful thinking as an Avs fan...

Yeah you really shouldn't have put Sacco's name on there. I must have looked silly, dancing after I saw it.

Shaby23 02-14-2013 08:16 AM

I don't think Bob Gainey wants to coach again.

hullsy47 02-14-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrophorus (Post 59694855)
He is locked in for this season.

I can't see Wilson getting another job.

i agree ,unless its as an assistant maybe ...after him and burke tried to reinvent the wheel in toronto .....too many good up and coming hockey guys out there ...john davidson just opened the door ,thinking outside the box ,kudos to him .....everyone on that list had their chance ....

Kane One 02-14-2013 08:52 AM

Well it's not like the MSG broadcasts are what's keeping Keenan from coaching. Barry Melrose left ESPN a few years ago to return to coaching and then he went back.

Jee 02-14-2013 08:53 AM

I can't put enough emphasis on that : you don't want Guy Carbonneau as your HC.

LuigiStone* 02-14-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory (Post 59693741)
When was the last time Mike Keenan was employed by an NHL club? And Bob Gainey stopped being a full time head coach a long time ago, the only time he coached the last few years when he was employed was in an interim capacity. The rest, I guess there is a reason they are still unemployed (for those on the list that still are, I mean). Crawford is done as a coach I think, he'll be a TV analyst for the rest of his days.

I would say Wilson & Martin would be the two guys that probably get hired, the rest...not so much.

And Sacco is still employed.

Edit: Keenan last coached in 2008-09, had a record of 88-60 with the Flames, he's now working with MSG Broadcasts.

Martin and Wilson are horrible. Screw them.

Jee 02-14-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuigiStone (Post 59696175)

Martin is far from horrible, but I've never been more bored watching Habs games than when he was here. (except during playoffs)

Noob616 02-14-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuigiStone (Post 59696175)

Can't really talk for Wilson as I never really watched the Leafs much while he was coaching, but Martin's a good coach. Honestly, I wish MTL never fired him, Therrien's really not impressing me much (inb4 7-4 record).

tony d 02-14-2013 09:59 AM

Yeah, I think Jacques Martin gets another shot as a NHL head coach. He did a wonderful job with Ottawa.

Ludicrous Speed 02-14-2013 01:49 PM

I'd like to see Dave King get a shot with a young team.