HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   2013 CIS Playoffs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1350949)

northvanman 02-15-2013 06:34 AM

2013 CIS Playoffs
 
Thursday in OUA West divisional quarterfinals...

Laurier 4, Guelph 3. The Hawks wipe out a third period 3 goal deficit and then win in double overtime. Talk about momentum going into game 2 at home.

Western dominates UOIT 8-1.

blackmarketmob 02-15-2013 01:40 PM

It was a close checking game, chippy at times. Down 3-0 in the third without any real quality scoring chances up to that point, it seemed like the game was well out of reach. Laurier pulled their goalie with an offensive zone faceoff with 55 seconds left in the game to tie it up, then were the stronger team in the overtime periods.

After the 8-1 performance, I expect UOIT to rebound at home. My guess is a close, low scoring game that Western wins. I will say 4-2 including an empty net goal.

lakeheadu 02-15-2013 02:57 PM

I checked out the numbers for our home ice OUA playoff games

Overall: 25-5 at home

As the higher seed: 14-4 at home

As the lower seed (Game 1 of the series): 11-1 at home and we won 8 of the 11 series' in which we went up 1-0 at home against the higher seed.

EDIT: I left out the other important one - Game 1s on the road as the higher seed: 7-6. We started off 5-0 in them, so it hasnt gone well recently.

Thought it would be interesting to take a look at numbers after the home ice advantage/disadvantage was discussed in the other thread.

thook 02-15-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeheadu (Post 59777497)
I checked out the numbers for our home ice OUA playoff games

Overall: 25-5 at home

As the higher seed: 14-4 at home

As the lower seed (Game 1 of the series): 11-1 at home and we won 8 of the 11 series' in which we went up 1-0 at home against the higher seed.

EDIT: I left out the other important one - Game 1s on the road as the higher seed: 7-6. We started off 5-0 in them, so it hasnt gone well recently.

Thought it would be interesting to take a look at numbers after the home ice advantage/disadvantage was discussed in the other thread.

If we lose tonight it's goi g to be a long off season! I am thinking the boys could use Frazee right about now....

northvanman 02-15-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeheadu (Post 59777497)
I checked out the numbers for our home ice OUA playoff games

Overall: 25-5 at home

As the higher seed: 14-4 at home

As the lower seed (Game 1 of the series): 11-1 at home and we won 8 of the 11 series' in which we went up 1-0 at home against the higher seed.

EDIT: I left out the other important one - Game 1s on the road as the higher seed: 7-6. We started off 5-0 in them, so it hasnt gone well recently.

Thought it would be interesting to take a look at numbers after the home ice advantage/disadvantage was discussed in the other thread.

That's an amazing home record, especially for the playoffs. I knew it was good but I didn't realize it was that good. More amazing is that even with that record, they did not pile up a bunch of conference championships - 2006 is the only one, right? My memory is fading, but there's gotta be lot of "almosts" for Lakehead over the last 10 years.

lakeheadu 02-15-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northvanman (Post 59782987)
That's an amazing home record, especially for the playoffs. I knew it was good but I didn't realize it was that good. More amazing is that even with that record, they did not pile up a bunch of conference championships - 2006 is the only one, right? My memory is fading, but there's gotta be lot of "almosts" for Lakehead over the last 10 years.

Correct. We lost to McGill in the Queens Cup in 2010. I actually may have forgotten to include that, so say 25-6 to be safe. I dont remember exactly how the Queens Cup worked in the early years of our program, but we didnt win any of those ones when it was more than a single game format either.

2008 was a tough one. That was one of our better teams (ranked #3) and we lost to Brock in the OUA West final in OT 1-0.

It should be noted that it took years to lose a home playoff game, so the record in the 2nd half of our history is definitely less impressive. We started off 14-0 at home.

hockeyalltheway 02-15-2013 06:06 PM

Excited for game two of the Carleton - Queen's series. Carleton won game one, 10-2. Definitely going to be a tight-checking game. Queen's has something to prove here.

Rob 02-15-2013 09:27 PM

Acadia 5 Moncton 2 - The Axemen pretty much dominated from the drop of the puck. Mosher got the start in goal and made sure Les Aigles didn't get any softies. If he can hold his own on Sunday I can't see them losing.

UPEI 5 STFX 4 2(ot)- Wished I had watched this one. X came back from three goals down before the Panthers put this one away in double overtime.

AUS Fan 02-15-2013 10:37 PM

Acadia played much the same as game 1 without giving up several breakaways and odd man rushes. They were very good below the hash marks in the Moncton end and had them hemmed in several times. Mosher didn't have to make any "great" saves, he just had to stop the puck. He did make one good pad save late in the 1st period with UdeM pressing. Acadia did a good job of keeping Moncton to the outside and insulating Mosher from much pressure.
Guay was less impressive and looked weak on Acadia's 2nd goal and bobbled a couple of shots.
Acadia loses Colin Archer for game 3 on a questionable call. Roughing would have been the best I would give on the play.

A tough loss for the X-Men, who were down 3-0 and 4-1.

WilcoxHound 02-15-2013 11:37 PM

Following a near tactically perfect road game at UofT to earn a 1 game lead in the series the GeeGees returned to Ottawa only to soil the bed. For whatever reason UO came out flat and for the first 30 minutes they didn't win a race for a puck and seemed to lose every puck battle. After 30 minutes it looked like the GeeGees packed it in to save energy for Saturday's game as they just resorted to tossing muffins at the Toronto net from the perimeter to up the shot count and make it appear as if they actually played the game. Cudos to the Blues for bringing their "A" game. Tomorrow we see just what type of character they have in Ottawa.

northvanman 02-16-2013 07:53 AM

Waterloo 4, Lakehead 2 (Waterloo wins the series 2-0). Watched most of this one online. Dupuis let in a couple of quick softies in the first period and Lakehead was in a big hole they were never able to get out of. Lakehead dominated possession in the 2nd and 3rd periods and outshot Waterloo by a wide margin, but they didn't seem to get a lot of quality chances - and when they did, Hartigan saved Waterloo's bacon, as he so often does. With these short series, it's always a bit shocking how quickly a season can end.

Windsor 4, York 2 (Windsor wins the series 2-0). This was a series I thought York had a decent chance to win. I saw them play two weeks ago and beat Western in OT and they are a steady and competent, if not spectacular, team. York should have won game 1 but gave up the tying goal with 8 seconds left in the 3rd and then lost in overtime. Last night, they were behind all night, and just like that it's over.

SnipeShow91 02-16-2013 02:22 PM

Somewhere, Joel Scherban is laughing his butt off at Lakehead being out 2 straight....

Carleton ended Queen's with a 2-1 win. Queen's was actually kicked out of their own rink because the City of Kingston is hosting the Scottie's Tournament of Hearts and the Gaels home rink is being used for a "Party Zone" for the tournament. The memorial centre is city run. So they played where the Junior A Kingston Voyageurs USED to play at the Cataraqui Arena.

Hollywood3 02-16-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 (Post 59834855)
Somewhere, Joel Scherban is laughing his butt off at Lakehead being out 2 straight....

Carleton ended Queen's with a 2-1 win. Queen's was actually kicked out of their own rink because the City of Kingston is hosting the Scottie's Tournament of Hearts and the Gaels home rink is being used for a "Party Zone" for the tournament. The memorial centre is city run. So they played where the Junior A Kingston Voyageurs USED to play at the Cataraqui Arena.

Lakehead has been a disappointment for many years now. I had thought that they would be a marquee CIS program by now. Instead, they peaked at being a near-contender several years ago and were not a factor in the two years they hosted.

I linked this story in the Bison thread:
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/26...ves-eliminated

The Dinos' home arena was also rented out for most of the weekend. Poor planning by the University. Although Calgary does have several nice smaller venues.

Max Bell Centre:
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...re-ice-305.jpg

Markin MacPhail Centre:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...-TC_121213.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...918-2027-2.jpg

Father David Bauer Arena:
http://recguide.cocnmp.com/locations.../A_Bauer11.jpg

Rob 02-16-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood3 (Post 59838705)
Lakehead has been a disappointment for many years now. I had thought that they would be a marquee CIS program by now. Instead, they peaked at being a near-contender several years ago and were not a factor in the two years they hosted.

Its too bad because they have great fan support. That is why in the OUA I tend to pull for them and Nipissing.

Ched 02-16-2013 06:25 PM

I can't figure out why Lakehead isn't more successful. They regularly draw 2000+ to their home games, have a great home game experience and pretty much have a monopoly on the all the kids from Northwest Ontario. Although Luke Cain decided to do his MBA at Manitoba and has been an important part of their success this season.

thook 02-16-2013 07:33 PM

The was way to much drama the last couple years in the Lu locker room. Joel was fired... The athletic dictator Tom warden had a personal vendetta out against Frazee... Our best all around player IMO and kicked him off the team. Then we battled some injuries and losing Caria was the nail in the coffin. The dangerous thing in these 3 game series is a hot goalie can kill you. That's what Lu ran into last night. Hopefully next year they recruit a goalie and a couple key guys and have a structured stable season. This is a good team who has under achieved.

Rob 02-16-2013 09:02 PM

Ottawa 3 UofT 2 (2ot) - I watched most of this one. Not sure what the shots were but Toronto appeared to dominate most of the game. Ottawa gets the sweep.

hockeyalltheway 02-16-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 59862141)
Ottawa 3 UofT 2 (2ot) - I watched most of this one. Not sure what the shots were but Toronto appeared to dominate most of the game. Ottawa gets the sweep.

Not a sweep - uOttawa had a terrible game last night and lost 4-0.

WilcoxHound 02-16-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 59862141)
Ottawa 3 UofT 2 (2ot) - I watched most of this one. Not sure what the shots were but Toronto appeared to dominate most of the game. Ottawa gets the sweep.

Toronto certainly had the most scoring chances, once again the GG's relied on hurling muffins from the perimeter (UofT goalie should have a hole in the crest of his jersey he was hit there so many times) and if it wasn't for Luc-Olivier Blain taking his beatings in front of the net to score 2 including the winner UO didn't deserve to win this one.

blackmarketmob 02-17-2013 08:19 AM

Laurier downed by Guelph last night 3-2. Guelph carried the play the entire game and came out flying, Laurier came out flat. Shots were 9-0 less than 5 minutes into the game, but Laurier was able to score on 2 of its first 4 shots. Guelph tied the game, and the game stayed tied until 1:01 left when Guelph scored the winner. Shots ended 41-27 for Guelph. Ryan Daniels was great for Laurier, Nick Huard has been very good for Guelph with 5 points in the 2 games. Game 3 goes tonight in Guelph.

EDIT: See video link below

Rob 02-17-2013 10:43 AM

All the games are being streamed tonight

OUA: http://www.ssncanada.ca/games/

http://canadawest.tv/

http://www.austv.ca/

blackmarketmob 02-17-2013 11:23 AM


clear the track 02-17-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilcoxHound (Post 59863311)
Toronto certainly had the most scoring chances, once again the GG's relied on hurling muffins from the perimeter (UofT goalie should have a hole in the crest of his jersey he was hit there so many times) and if it wasn't for Luc-Olivier Blain taking his beatings in front of the net to score 2 including the winner UO didn't deserve to win this one.

Well young man. I disagree. I saw a completely different game. I saw a hard fought battle by two evenly matched teams. Game could have gone either way. Both goalies were outstanding each with a save on a point blank shot to an open net in the final period. Both teams were good defensively keeping the play to the perimeter. Hence your muffin shots. By both teams. So give credit for good defensive play by both teams.

I thought uOttawas line of Quellette, Donovan and I think Touchette played very well. They went hard to the net when they could. Sort of explains the tying goal.

Blain had a good game. Not his best. Both his goals came from unmolested play. Not heavy traffic as you suggest. First he was left alone in front of the net to pick up a rebound. Second he walked untouched to side of net for a goal that Willows should have stopped, and usually does 99% of the time.

I saw scoring chances as even, with Willows making the tougher saves.

There you have it. Two eyes on the game, two different opinions.

Would absolutely love to see a Carleton, uOttawa matchup.

Rob 02-17-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmarketmob (Post 59888893)

Nice highlightes. I tried to watch some of this game last night but the camera angle they used was terrible.

Rob 02-17-2013 07:44 PM

Acadia and Moncton tied at three going into double ot!

Update - Axemen win. Cazzolla scores on a broken play.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.