HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Some Oil Notes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=13510)

Guy Flaming 09-22-2003 09:44 PM

Some Oil Notes

Just some things to throw at you that I got from conversations tonight at the game...

Bobby Allen didn't play for "precautionary reasons". He "may" have a concussion.

Mikko Luoma has a 1 year contract and it is a TWO-WAY deal. If he does not make the Oilers out of camp HE WILL play in Toronto, he will NOT be returning to Finland this year.

Alexei Mikhnov is "probably" going to play in North America next year. Kevin Prendergast tells me that "he really wants to come over and play here next year" and obviously the Oilers want him too as well. I mentioned Mikhnov's 3 points in 3 games and he just smiled and kind of gave me a wink.

Fomitchev is NOT a Oiler property anymore. I mentioned the 2 SO's in 4 games and Prendergast reacted as though to say "sure, NOW he does it" but commented that he was a "good little goalie".

K.P. was unaware of Jonas Almtorp being loaned out by his team in Sweden but did say that it happens often and like Joukov's situation, nothing to panic about, it just means more playing time for them.

Jesse Niinimaki has some growing up to do, literally. He's 6-2 180 lbs but the Oilers would prefer him to be 195-200 lbs before he comes to North America. A source also claims that Niinimaki might also need to mature in his attitude some too, apparently he's pouting a bit in Finland right now, expecting to be on the 1st line but playing on the 3rd.

Mikael Svensk (playing in Sweden) is high on the list of prospects that K.P. is fond of. A good year will likely lead to North America next season.

Henley, Kenton Smith, Hogan, Micka and Plourde have AHL/ECHL contracts.

Henrich, Dan Smith have NHL/AHL contracts so those two could be injury call ups.

I have Scouts Chris McCarthy and Frank Musil as well as GM Kevin Lowe on board for interviews during the course of the season (so prepare your questions! but don't submit them to me already... it could be December before I call them).

I had quick discussions after the game with Mikko Luoma, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Steve Valiquette, Jarret Stoll and Raffi Torres... watch the main page (hopefully) tomorrow for a new article from me.

Guy Flaming 09-23-2003 12:13 AM

Hey, did you know Jussi Markkanen had more shutouts than Andy Moog did as an Oiler? I didn't but he did. 5 to 4 for Jussi in just two back up seasons! Pretty good.

Jokerit79 09-23-2003 03:02 AM

Niinmäki

Jesse has scored two goals in three games and probably would have a few assists if he wasn't playing with grinders. I can't understand why Helminen still has the 1st-line job.. He's 100-years old and has sucked for the last three years.

Yanner39 09-23-2003 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyF
Hey, did you know Jussi Markkanen had more shutouts than Andy Moog did as an Oiler? I didn't but he did. 5 to 4 for Jussi in just two back up seasons! Pretty good.

I bet Andy won more games after letting 5 or 6 goals than Jussi... :)

thome_26 09-23-2003 06:36 AM

REALLY!!! GREAT, I was worried Mikhnov was gonna stay in Europe till he wasted all his potential and talent (he's old enough his but should be over here!) If he'd been here for this year, who knows, maybe he'd had a shot at the second line LW job that could be open if Smyth stays at center (leaving Isbister as first line LW). We'd have a BIG left side with Isbister, Mikhnov, Moreau, and Torres - big tough and gritty...... I'd like that left side alot!!!

Guy Flaming 09-23-2003 09:57 AM

you can add JF Jacques to teh list of future interviews too. I ran into him at the airport the morning he got cut. I was there seeing off my sister when he came in. I chatted with him for a minute or two and wished him well in the Q and he said to check in with him during the season. Nice guy.

oilswell 09-23-2003 07:38 PM

Quote:

Alexei Mikhnov is "probably" going to play in North America next year. Kevin Prendergast tells me that "he really wants to come over and play here next year"
Mikael Svensk (playing in Sweden) is high on the list of prospects that K.P. is fond of. A good year will likely lead to North America next season.

Ummmm, I guess that means 2007 after the lockout? ;)

Thanks for the info. My only beef with all this great info is that the title "Some Oil Notes": too tame to do justice to the level of interest. It should have been "This Thread Is Better Than 90% Of The Other Ones: Why Are You Wasting Your Time There?" ;) JMO.

thome_26 09-23-2003 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilswell

Thanks for the info. My only beef with all this great info is that the title "Some Oil Notes": too tame to do justice to the level of interest. It should have been "This Thread Is Better Than 90% Of The Other Ones: Why Are You Wasting Your Time There?" ;) JMO.

lol, very true! I second that!

Guy Flaming 09-23-2003 07:57 PM

Quote:

Well if you like my stuff, then take note of threads started by me, then you should be OK.

rabi_sultan 09-24-2003 06:48 AM

can anyone tell me the answer to this question, Mikhnov is staying in Europe due to contract squabbling i believe are the Oilers going to pay the $1m that Mikhnov's agent wants next year or are they expecting something in the CBA or Mikhnov?

Guy Flaming 09-24-2003 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
can anyone tell me the answer to this question, Mikhnov is staying in Europe due to contract squabbling i believe are the Oilers going to pay the $1m that Mikhnov's agent wants next year or are they expecting something in the CBA or Mikhnov?

In talking with Kevin Prendergast on the media Catwalk at Skyreach on Monday, $ didn't seem to be the problem. It was getting some freedom from Novosibirsk do come over and participate in Oiler activities. He would have been here in June but his club team said don't come back then. Bith player and organization want him to be in North America next year so it shouldn't be too hard to get him over here.

thome_26 09-24-2003 06:59 AM

Well to be copmletely fair, he was a first half first rounder. Those guys just don't sign for less then a million. Just the way it is.....

Digger12 09-24-2003 07:22 AM

Quote:

In talking with Kevin Prendergast on the media Catwalk at Skyreach on Monday, $ didn't seem to be the problem. It was getting some freedom from Novosibirsk do come over and participate in Oiler activities. He would have been here in June but his club team said don't come back then. Bith player and organization want him to be in North America next year so it shouldn't be too hard to get him over here.

That's good to hear. One of the things I've always wondered about tractor boy was how badly he wanted to play NHL hockey...was he content staying where he was, especially with the Russian league seemingly having deeper pockets now?

The CBA war will be a big stumbling block, but at least he can come over and play in Toronto for a while, get used to things.

fedabiblio 09-24-2003 07:32 AM

Quote:

Wha?!
My Skoda thread was top drawer.

J.Money 09-24-2003 07:37 AM

Quote:

Would it be safe to assume that the Oilers wanted him here for camp but felt he wasn't ready for the AHL possibly and that his Russian team told him that if he went to North America he would not be allowed to return?

Because if both parties want to be here and they felt he could play in the AHL I don't see why the above would be an issue.

oilswell 09-24-2003 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedabiblio
Wha?!
My Skoda thread was top drawer.

I guess it must have been part of the remaining 10%, right?

BTW, that "noise" coming from your Skoda is the engine running. I can understand how you've never actually heard it until now. ;)