HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1351001)

Langway 02-15-2013 08:49 AM

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII
 
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1332769

RandyHolt 02-15-2013 09:08 AM

I am intrigued by the idea of 3 scoring lines going forward. Fun and gun is back baby!

Fehr and MP are showing a lot and I for one want to see Nick and Fehr, and Ribs and Fehr etc. Hell, even MP and Ovi if our offense gets stale.

Beagle can't be on 4 my ass, but nice goal though. Chimera Beagle Crabb will do just fine in their 8 TOI.

3 scoring lines gives Oates a lot of options. I wonder if he works extra with his stud passing C's. Laich said he is spending a lot of time with Ovi's transition to RW.

BobRouse 02-15-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 59761039)
I am intrigued by the idea of 3 scoring lines going forward. Fun and gun is back baby!

Fehr and MP are showing a lot and I for one want to see Nick and Fehr, and Ribs and Fehr etc. Hell, even MP and Ovi if our offense gets stale.

Beagle can't be on 4 my ass, but nice goal though. Chimera Beagle Crabb will do just fine in their 8 TOI.

3 scoring lines gives Oates a lot of options. I wonder if he works extra with his stud passing C's. Laich said he is spending a lot of time with Ovi's transition to RW.

I'm not a fan of 3 scoring lines but for now we have an imperfect roster so as long as it works stick with it.

I too thought of bumping Fehr up and it has been mentioned on blogs and in the broadcast.

I wouldn't do it tho. Those 3 have shown good chemistry. I wouldn't mess with it.


I see TX is still fighting the good fight of trying to diminish Erskine. He's been on this crusade since day 1 of when we acquired him off waivers. At least he's persistent with it :)

Erskine was very good last night and has been playing well this year. You have to give credit where its due. He deserved all the ice time he got last night and its good to see him with PK time and being out there late in the game protecting a 1 goal lead.

Oates has faith in him. So do I.

bgroban 02-15-2013 09:19 AM

Sasha is averaging 21 minutes a night and playing reasonably smart hockey. Oops, wrong thread.

RandyHolt 02-15-2013 09:26 AM

When life gives a passing coach 3 passing C's, I want Oates to think long and hard about rolling with them.

Beagle is good but is not an integral part of our offensive philosophy

If Oates wants to play defensive matchups as a priority like Dale, sure. MP see you when someone gets injured.

While we are thin on scoring wing we all know great passing centers can generate goals no matter their wingers.

What is the best way to win with our team as constructed. What is our single most team strength.

Skilled C

A different look
Brouwer Ribs Ovi | Laich Nick Ward | Hendy MP Fehr

Hendy Ribs Ovi | Laich Nick Fehr | Ward MP Brow

tycoonheart 02-15-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 59761039)
I am intrigued by the idea of 3 scoring lines going forward. Fun and gun is back baby!

Fehr and MP are showing a lot and I for one want to see Nick and Fehr, and Ribs and Fehr etc. Hell, even MP and Ovi if our offense gets stale.

Beagle can't be on 4 my ass, but nice goal though. Chimera Beagle Crabb will do just fine in their 8 TOI.

3 scoring lines gives Oates a lot of options. I wonder if he works extra with his stud passing C's. Laich said he is spending a lot of time with Ovi's transition to RW.

Oh man, fun and gun. Memories of the ol' bawl coach in DC. Not good.

RandyHolt 02-15-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycoonheart (Post 59761761)
Oh man, fun and gun. Memories of the ol' bawl coach in DC. Not good.

Well last year we hunkered down, and still only won 1 series.

We need that hybrid offense, half dale half bruce.

Oates is probably trying to do that and i bet its not easy. I suspect we just don't have enough skill in the top 6 to win a cup, cover for our inconsistent back end.

And with a 3rd "scoring line" of Chimera MP Brouwer, is it really a scoring line? Its just 2 big burly wingers with a spark plug.

It does give Oates the ability to get MP out into the PP for instance. Extra skater late. PP2. Not have MP at 4RW where he gets eaten alive.

tycoonheart 02-15-2013 09:41 AM

Agreed, Randy.

I'm okay with having 3 scoring lines in this system because this isn't really all out offense system. All three lines are cycling very very well. And when your 3rd line is cycling as well as they have, is there really a need for your traditional checking line? Lets give MP a few more games on that line and see how he fares. But so far so good.

BobRouse 02-15-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 59762091)
Well last year we hunkered down, and still only won 1 series.

We need that hybrid offense, half dale half bruce.

Oates is probably trying to do that and i bet its not easy. I suspect we just don't have enough skill in the top 6 to win a cup.

And with a 3rd "scoring line" of Chimera MP Brouwer, is it really a scoring line? Its just 2 big burly wingers with a spark plug.

It does give Oates the ability to get MP out into the PP for instance. Extra skater late. PP2. Not have MP at 4RW where he gets eaten alive.

Have to disagree.

I don't want a hybrid. I want Bruce style attack and pressure defense all over the ice.

I don't ever want to watch a game of coin flip hockey again either.

brs03 02-15-2013 09:44 AM

If your second line can play a shutdown style, 3 scoring lines isn't so bad (especially if, as you say, at least one of them is cycling well regardless of their role). Laich - Backstrom - someone could do that for you, but the key will be finding a winger that can score enough while still providing defensive value.

Ridley Simon 02-15-2013 09:55 AM

Good Read on O'Reilly
 
If you have seen it from Custance on ESPN Insider.

He seems to be the Anti "Young Gun"...so therefore a worthwhile investment. I cant cut and paste for some reason...but it has a lot of people talking very very highly of his intangibles.

Go and get him. Dont worry about the cost, or the cap ramifications later. It can be worked out.

RandyHolt 02-15-2013 09:56 AM

Interesting idea BRS, the most responsible scoring line double down as a checking line. I hadn't thought of that. I kind of Laich it ;) - as he seems a fine fit there.

Can anyone put into a simple clear sentence or 2, what Oates's style is?

To be honest, i have not been looking for any line matching or shutdown pairs. I don't even know if he is doing any of that.

If not, that is very Bruce like.

BobRouse 02-15-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridley Simon (Post 59762701)
If you have seen it from Custance on ESPN Insider.

He seems to be the Anti "Young Gun"...so therefore a worthwhile investment. I cant cut and paste for some reason...but it has a lot of people talking very very highly of his intangibles.

Go and get him. Dont worry about the cost, or the cap ramifications later. It can be worked out.

Ridley,

Pass the crack pipe please..or better yet put it down! ha

They want a top 6 forward roster player AND a top prospect.

ROR wants 5 years at 5 mil per.

Ridley Simon 02-15-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 59761641)
When life gives a passing coach 3 passing C's, I want Oates to think long and hard about rolling with them.

Beagle is good but is not an integral part of our offensive philosophy

If Oates wants to play defensive matchups as a priority like Dale, sure. MP see you when someone gets injured.

While we are thin on scoring wing we all know great passing centers can generate goals no matter their wingers.

What is the best way to win with our team as constructed. What is our single most team strength.

Skilled C

A different look
Brouwer Ribs Ovi | Laich Nick Ward | Hendy MP Fehr

Hendy Ribs Ovi | Laich Nick Fehr | Ward MP Brow

Close, but not quite. Do NOT break up 42-85-16. Its working. Put 21 with 19-20 once healthy. And YES, 26 with 8-9 for sure. 26 adds grit, had hands, and can take the faceoffs. Easy Peasy

26-8-9
21-19-20
42-85-16
then a D line
25-83-15/17.

Trade 90 for help, somewhere.

RandyHolt 02-15-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridley Simon (Post 59762905)
Close, but not quite. Do NOT break up 42-85-16. Its working. Put 21 with 19-20 once healthy. And YES, 26 with 8-9 for sure. 26 adds grit, had hands, and can take the faceoffs. Easy Peasy

26-8-9
21-19-20
42-85-16
then a D line
25-83-15/17.

Trade 90 for help, somewhere.

That lineup looks great. I was just trying to provide a different look, for we all know coaches will be forced to shuffle the lines up. that's a lot of grinding wingers, for the most part. They should largely be interchangeable.

I am intrigued to get Ribs another RH shot. When the new passing C comes to town saying he wants to play with RH shots, my gut says roll with it. Maybe at home, when he can take his own faceoffs.

sunnydaycrash 02-15-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridley Simon (Post 59762905)
Close, but not quite. Do NOT break up 42-85-16. Its working. Put 21 with 19-20 once healthy. And YES, 26 with 8-9 for sure. 26 adds grit, had hands, and can take the faceoffs. Easy Peasy

26-8-9
21-19-20
42-85-16
then a D line
25-83-15/17.

Trade 90 for help, somewhere.

Not sure why Hendy isn't already with Ribs....someone needs to take the face offs for him, he's horrendous, and not taking advantage of the O zone face off with Ovi on your line isn't the smartest of coaching moves.

Also agree, great lines

Mystlyfe 02-15-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 59762773)
Ridley,

Pass the crack pipe please..or better yet put it down! ha

They want a top 6 forward roster player AND a top prospect.

ROR wants 5 years at 5 mil per.

Translation: They want the same return Philadelphia got for Richards and Carter. A Simmonds + Schenn or Voracek + 8th overall (Couturier) type deal. For us, that means Johansson + Kuznetsov/Forsberg.

tycoonheart 02-15-2013 10:18 AM

I'm kind of interested to see Ovi and Nicky together. Nicky has been great for a few weeks now. Maybe those two get something going together again?

BobRouse 02-15-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 59763525)
Translation: They want the same return Philadelphia got for Richards and Carter. A Simmonds + Schenn or Voracek + 8th overall (Couturier) type deal. For us, that means Johansson + Kuznetsov/Forsberg.

Pretty much.

I would not trade either Kuznetsov or Forsberg for him and then have to pay him $$$ and most likely lose Ribeiro.

Just doesn't make sense for the Caps.

Mystlyfe 02-15-2013 10:20 AM

Ugh, just say no to 26 (or slow 25 for that matter) on the top line with Ribs and Ovie. If we really don't want to break up 16-85-42, then it's time to give MoJo another crack at it.

90-9-8
17-19-20
16-85-42
25-26-83

fedfed 02-15-2013 10:25 AM

Johansson looks lost anytime he has another passer on his line. Put Brouwer in there, he can win faceoffs.

Ovechkins Wodka 02-15-2013 10:26 AM

:naughty:Wolski is a top 6 forward right??

BobRouse 02-15-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka (Post 59763923)
:naughty:Wolski is a top 6 forward right??

I don't hide my disdain for WW but is it just me or has he got worse and worse with each passing game?

He's turrbul

Ridley Simon 02-15-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 59762291)
If your second line can play a shutdown style, 3 scoring lines isn't so bad (especially if, as you say, at least one of them is cycling well regardless of their role). Laich - Backstrom - someone could do that for you, but the key will be finding a winger that can score enough while still providing defensive value.

We have it-- Brouwer.

marcel snapshot 02-15-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobRouse (Post 59764005)
I don't hide my disdain for WW but is it just me or has he got worse and worse with each passing game?

He's turrbul

He's certainly been the guy to whom scoring chances go to die lately.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.