HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Matt Duchene (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1351097)

avsfan9 02-15-2013 12:54 PM

Matt Duchene

This guy has been a beast this year. No defense can contain him right now, a complete 180 from last year.one of the best players in the league so far this year. What do you guys think?

Duchene2MacKinnon 02-15-2013 12:58 PM

Gah, I still say he's better suited as a winger. If only we traded him for JVR or Kulikov when we had the chance. Ryan would be playing right now.:rant:

CB Joe 02-15-2013 01:00 PM

There has been a lot of progression in his game. I think it's mostly due to his improved conditioning. His ability to split the D this season has been terrific. Also, getting a linemate that he has good chemistry with, like PAP, is also a big plus.

Bender 02-15-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 59768055)
Gah, I still say he's better suited as a winger. If only we traded him for JVR or Kulikov when we had the chance. Ryan would be playing right now.:rant:

Not sure how you can post that without a ":sarcasm:" and still think to have ANY credibility around here.

Duchene as a winger was a horrible disaster last year and he's always been a center. He gets to control the play more as a center and gets the puck on his stick much more and that's what gets him INTO games. The only reasons you take a natural centerman out of that position and put him on wing is if:

a) he's a defensive liability
b) is too slow and thus better suited as a winger
c) is terrible on faceoffs

Put it this way, if a player CAN play center (no easy feat) and play it as well as he has so far this year, you just don't put him on wing, that's pretty silly, if you ask me.

Knowing Sacco, Duchene is playing wing next game. :shakehead

Sorry to disagree with you...seems like it's happening a lot lately. (we've got to start getting on the same page for some stuff soon)

henchman24 02-15-2013 01:05 PM

If you take out last year, you see a pretty solid progression out of Duchene. He is finally cementing himself as a #1C.

thedoctor 02-15-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB Joe (Post 59768153)
There has been a lot of progression in his game. I think it's mostly due to his improved conditioning. His ability to split the D this season has been terrific. Also, getting a linemate that he has good chemistry with, like PAP, is also a big plus.

Yes, and there's no question he played a lot of last year still hurting. He's simply back on track in his development, which is the best single bit of news the Avs could have from this season.

Duchene2MacKinnon 02-15-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 59768331)
Not sure how you can post that without a ":sarcasm:" and still think to have ANY credibility around here.

Duchene as a winger was a horrible disaster last year and he's always been a center. He gets to control the play more as a center and gets the puck on his stick much more and that's what gets him INTO games. The only reasons you take a natural centerman out of that position and put him on wing is if:

a) he's a defensive liability
b) is too slow and thus better suited as a winger
c) is terrible on faceoffs

Put it this way, if a player CAN play center (no easy feat) and play it as well as he has so far this year, you just don't put him on wing, that's pretty silly, if you ask me.

Knowing Sacco, Duchene is playing wing next game. :shakehead

Sorry to disagree with you...seems like it's happening a lot lately. (we've got to start getting on the same page for some stuff soon)

It's funny when I don't put the :sarcasm: to see who actually takes the post serious.:D I was the biggest guy *****ing that Duchene shouldn't be on the wing and he should NOT be traded. Didn't think a regular like yourself would fall for it.:p:

JeffFingerDiscount 02-15-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henchman24 (Post 59768395)
If you take out last year, you see a pretty solid progression out of Duchene. He is finally cementing himself as a #1C.

Agreed. Nearly every young player is going to have a sophomore slump at some point. Duchene was fortunate enough to be able to delay his a year. It's pretty obvious he found out last season what it takes to succeed in this league and applied himself during the off-season.

Can't just go fishing all summer and expect to come back and dominate. :shakehead

GamingGiant 02-15-2013 01:16 PM

The kid is a beast and will be something special soon.

S E P H 02-15-2013 01:23 PM

Two biggest changes I have seen in his play,

1) He has improved drastically on defense including amazing face off ability.

2) his physical game has improved from a grasshopper to the hulk.

Also I have noticed that he took some moves from Crosby's to deal with tougher defensemen.

Duchene2MacKinnon 02-15-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S E P H (Post 59769443)
Two biggest changes I have seen in his play,

1) He has improved drastically on defense including amazing face off ability.

2) his physical game has improved from a grasshopper to the hulk.

Also I have noticed that he took some moves from Crosby's to deal with tougher defensemen.

Duchene always been good on the faceoff now he's just beasting it but that's just from experience.

He's never been soft, his hits were always on par with Ryan and he always been strong on his legs again he's gotten better in both aspects because of age. Also he's been training with Crosby for a couple of years now. I just think he was going to get this good and better regardless of Crosby he just need some time.

S E P H 02-15-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 59769791)
Duchene always been good on the faceoff now he's just beasting it but that's just from experience.

He's never been soft, his hits were always on par with Ryan and he always been strong on his legs again he's gotten better in both aspects because of age. Also he's been training with Crosby for a couple of years now. I just think he was going to get this good and better regardless of Crosby he just need some time.

I would say he was above average face off, but this year as you said it...beastin.

Last year he was soft as hell and though he was never particularly soft, he was never this physical. I agree that he would've been better with or without Crosby, but some of moves he is using with his low centre of gravity is very Crosby-ish.

AslanRH 02-15-2013 01:58 PM

I think we should hire Syd to work out with our whole team!

NOTENOUGHBREWER 02-15-2013 02:04 PM

One guy is playing amazing. The other guy is holding out for more dollars and ******** he didn't get the C. Which one is the shiny spoiled toy?

Pierce Hawthorne 02-15-2013 02:24 PM

He's done a very good job of simplifying his game and using his speed as an advantage rather then a disadvantage now.

Having a couple line mates that he works well with is really helping too. He and PAP and McGinn have been good for 4-5 chances a game since playing together.

Good sign if we get Landy back and slot him on Stas's wing. I liked Stastny and his line last night but a guy like Lando over Jones/Pajamas on that line would make it all the more dangerous.

Razor29 02-15-2013 02:29 PM

Jinx thread. Way to go OP. ;)

Bender 02-15-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 59768841)
It's funny when I don't put the :sarcasm: to see who actually takes the post serious.:D I was the biggest guy *****ing that Duchene shouldn't be on the wing and he should NOT be traded. Didn't think a regular like yourself would fall for it.:p:

You keep changing your name and have weird SOCCER avatars!!!! I can't keep track of it all!!

:laugh:

I'll be bumping the old "let's trade Duchene because he sucks thread" pretty soon.

Mouse21* 02-15-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER (Post 59771525)
One guy is playing amazing. The other guy is holding out for more dollars and ******** he didn't get the C. Which one is the shiny spoiled toy?

TPS disagrees.

Gigantor The Goalie 02-15-2013 03:18 PM

I never lost faith in Duchene last year. I agree that last year he was horrible due to injuries and just couldn't get it together. However the talent is there along with the drive, I always said he would be our star center and I'm so happy he's proving me right at the moment. He needed that season, he needed that season so he could take a step back and say to himself "ok so that's how you don't become successful in the NHL".

You know he was on the right track after the season when he said he was disappointed in his play. No excuses from him, he knew he sucked then worked hard to get back on track. I'm happy for the guy, he's becoming a true competitor with a do whatever it takes to win attitude. We need that on this team.

Duchene2MacKinnon 02-15-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 59773231)
You keep changing your name and have AWESOME FOOTBALL avatars!!!! I can't keep track of it all!!

:laugh:

I'll be bumping the old "let's trade Duchene because he sucks thread" pretty soon.

Fixed and the reason I changed my username is because it was a curse. Notice how once I changed it Duchene went back to being his best and even better? You're welcome avs fans.:nod:

I was going to for the laughs but...

Freudian 02-15-2013 03:28 PM

It's a bit revisionist to claim people wanted to turn him into a winger. I think some here thought he had a skill set that would enable him to be successful on the wing and it was worth giving him a shot on Stastny's wing to break out of his slump last year.

I don't think Sacco ever saw it as a long term switch but more an attempt to get Duchene away from what he was doing as a center at times last year.

Lonewolfe2015 02-15-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian (Post 59775879)
It's a bit revisionist to claim people wanted to turn him into a winger. I think some here thought he had a skill set that would enable him to be successful on the wing and it was worth giving him a shot on Stastny's wing to break out of his slump last year.

I don't think Sacco ever saw it as a long term switch but more an attempt to get Duchene away from what he was doing as a center at times last year.

I'll be the first to admit back when he was a rookie in the league the game before Sacco tried him on the wing (1-2 game tryout iirc) I suggested he should be given a shot on Staz's wing.

I thought it was awesome it actually happened. Crushed that he sucked there.

Cullen Bohannon 02-15-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Sakic (Post 59772661)
Jinx thread. Way to go OP. ;)

Incoming concussion in 3, 2, 1...

thedoctor 02-15-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 59777729)
I'll be the first to admit back when he was a rookie in the league the game before Sacco tried him on the wing (1-2 game tryout iirc) I suggested he should be given a shot on Staz's wing.

I thought it was awesome it actually happened. Crushed that he sucked there.

Same here. It needed to be tried. Oh well.

Teuras 02-15-2013 04:51 PM

You see him center the puck unexpectedly when he's deep and I think it's cool but I always wish there was someone there to put it in the net. He's obviously got talent and can score on his own but we desperately need Landy back :scared: