HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Panthers “Club Red” Section is a Joke (MOD: Great perks, empty seats) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1351245)

LastWordArmy 02-15-2013 03:40 PM

Panthers “Club Red” Section is a Joke (MOD: Great perks, empty seats)

http://lastwordonsports.com/panthers-club-red-pricing-is-joke/

Quote:

Last summer, Michael Yormark, President of the Florida Panthers NHL Hockey Team, and the BB&T Center, announced that the club would be introducing premium seat pricing in certain sections of the arena. Those sections known as “Club Red” are being sold with the following perks, and features given in this advertising produced by the Club and Arena....

XX 02-15-2013 03:43 PM

Don't really appreciate the hit piece or thread title. Every team does this. They sell a few rows behind the benches in some sort of premium package with a sponsor attached. It's not meant for you or me, but for corporate accounts. If the seats are sold or spoken for, the Panthers could care less if people are in them.

zombiekopitor 02-15-2013 03:47 PM

I thought it was an interesting idea.. I agree though, they could have at least done it on the other side of the rink that gets alot less camera time since it's not backing the benches.

hototogisu 02-15-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX (Post 59779743)
Don't really appreciate the hit piece or thread title. Every team does this. They sell a few rows behind the benches in some sort of premium package with a sponsor attached. It's not meant for you or me, but for corporate accounts. If the seats are sold or spoken for, the Panthers could care less if people are in them.

If you had read the article or watched the Panthers' game last night, you would see it's not a "few rows", but 672 seats. And while I appreciate that teams like the Panthers have to get creative in terms of generating revenue, I agree with the article that it looked god awful on camera. Considering how much TV time the section gets, if you didn't know any better you would think there were little more than a few hundred people in the arena by how empty that one area is.

As you said, maybe it makes little difference to the Panthers as long as the money is in their pockets, but it certainly didn't make the building look appealing or the fan support healthy.

joe89 02-15-2013 03:54 PM

I've often noticed this. Looks terrible.

matCH penalty 02-15-2013 03:54 PM

Flip the camera locations, like it is in Edmonton. Assuming there's actually room on the Club Red side of the arena for the cameras, of course. Problem 1 solved.

Problem 2 of the disgruntled STHs is probably unsolvable for that organization at the moment. If their future pans out and they start winning things on a regular basis, I imagine most of those displaced won't care that much. If the team continues to limp along like it has for the better part of twenty years and fail to draft, develop, and keep legitimate star players, that's probably not good for anyone. But the team won't move either way.

XX 02-15-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 59780057)
but it certainly didn't make the building look appealing or the fan support healthy.

Again, what does that matter? If they are sold, it's tremendously lucrative.

Quote:

VIP Valet Parking with a personalized parking spot for all games, concerts, shows and events
Private Club RED BB&T Center entrance and early access privileges
Customized name plate on your Club RED member seat
Private Club RED restrooms for members only
Game Day visits to Club RED from Panthers ownership, players, alumni or the Redline Lady Panthers with commemorative photos for members
Complimentary issues of GROWL game day program
Annual Club RED member commemorative gift
Club RED concierge to assist with game, event, and other accommodations
Multiple HD flat screens providing NHL Center Ice package and local cable programming
WiFi capability with business services
Club RED Features
All-inclusive superior cuisine offerings consisting of hot & cold hors d’oeuvers, entrée selections, chef-supervised carving and action stations, along with assorted desserts
All-inclusive full-service bar providing hand selected wines, premium beers & ales, along with assorted soft drinks
Cash bar available for premium spirits
Dedicated VIP service for all food & beverage needs
Additional Benefits

Exclusive tastings provided by some of the nation’s most popular chefs
Invitation to Panthers postgame media area
Invitation to annual Club RED Member Special Events for Member & Guest
Invitation to exclusive Club RED Member VIP Day at Panthers Training Camp for Member & Guest
Option to use Club RED lounge space for corporate meetings/functions on non-event days, based upon availability (catering, maintenance and rental fees are not included)
Discount on other non-event space rental based upon availability
All inclusive and hockey only members will receive a red home jersey with the option to customize
I don't buy it being a joke anymore than the entire bowl at the ACC being suits. Let the Panthers do what they want. Open bar, included food, parking and all that jazz for a pretty busy venue. They'll eventually find the pricing sweetspot and this won't be an issue. The team is profitable because of how the group runs the arena, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

WinterEmpire 02-15-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robes of Teal (Post 59779951)
I thought it was an interesting idea.. I agree though, they could have at least done it on the other side of the rink that gets alot less camera time since it's not backing the benches.

That's what the Canucks do with the club seats. They're all on the camera side.

XX 02-15-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinterEmpire (Post 59780493)
That's what the Canucks do with the club seats. They're all on the camera side.

The Panthers are on NBC exactly 0 times. Meaning that this whole camera nonsense is really not an issue. There's no set standard for how teams arrange seats or how to downplay empty ones. Opposing fans don't care, and home team fans know why those seats are empty.

I'll buy the argument that it's detrimental to the environment, because there are large swaths of empty seats in an otherwise well attended arena. But that's a choice the ownership group has made and is allowed to make.

GKJ 02-15-2013 04:46 PM

They tried making club seats/luxury boxes into prime seating areas. If you're a big wig fat cat, that's no bueno. There's too many of them, and as has been mentioned, those people are there just to screw around up at the personal bar.

TheMoreYouKnow 02-15-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX (Post 59780655)
The Panthers are on NBC exactly 0 times.

Yeah and the estimated 300 people who watch on local TV probably don't care either.

Qward 02-15-2013 05:47 PM

22k is a lot of money for season tickets.

Glacial 02-15-2013 05:59 PM

Can't they fill Club Red with a bunch of dummies or scarecrows? Or maybe just 1 model walking around doing mime waitressing of imaginary guests, bringing them orders made from thin air?

matCH penalty 02-15-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patofqc (Post 59784485)
Move the team already... not many people care about it there. So many empty seats. Shameful.

The Panthers are tied to the arena, and BB&T Center is one of the busiest in North America. The ownership group makes money despite the Panthers not being terribly successful. They're not going anywhere.

I'll publicly bet you a case of whatever (Canadian :naughty:) beer you want that the Panthers don't move under their current lease agreement timeframe. :thumbu:

Papa044 02-15-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patofqc (Post 59784485)
Move the team already... not many people care about it there. So many empty seats. Shameful.

the seats are empty because all of the seat holders are in the club red lounge. the panthers attendance is doing just fine. the team won't be going anywhere.

XX 02-15-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 59784931)
22k is a lot of money for season tickets.

It's not just for the Panthers. Read up on what is included and it's pretty ballsy.

Glacial 02-15-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matCH penalty (Post 59786027)
The Panthers are tied to the arena, and BB&T Center is one of the busiest in North America. The ownership group makes money despite the Panthers not being terribly successful. They're not going anywhere.

I'll publicly bet you a case of whatever (Canadian :naughty:) beer you want that the Panthers don't move under their current lease agreement timeframe. :thumbu:

Man, there really needs to be an education campaign of how Sunrise SSE or S&E or whatever they call themselves is arranged and how while the Panthers are money-losers, the whole business is profitable and without the Panthers/a NHL team, they don't have the arena contract and without that contract, they have zero profit. Yeah, looks at attendance & tv ratings suggest a weak market, but Sunrise's profitability and the no team no contract clause makes it clear the only way the Panthers are moving is if Sunrise decides to pull out of the entertainment business entirely. Once you see that, it's pretty clear the team ain't moving.

matCH penalty 02-15-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacial (Post 59788575)
Man, there really needs to be an education campaign of how Sunrise SSE or S&E or whatever they call themselves is arranged

No doubt. Florida is always lumped in with unstable franchises, and it's simply not one of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacial (Post 59788575)
the only way the Panthers are moving is if Sunrise decides to pull out of the entertainment business entirely. Once you see that, it's pretty clear the team ain't moving.

I doubt they'd move then, either. The arrangement with the Panthers and BB&T Arena seems to be a relatively lucrative venture. If SSE decided to stop existing, someone else would show up. Hence, my (admittedly rather gutless) bet about the team not moving while the arena still has a valid lease.

Swarez 02-15-2013 06:50 PM

Add $21 bucks a game to the cost. Pay a seat filler $7/hour for the 3 hours and you're done.
Part of there job is wear team colours, and cheer. The owner comes back, they go to some back room and wait.

berklon 02-15-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa044 (Post 59786541)
the seats are empty because all of the seat holders are in the club red lounge.

The article explained it's NOT that reason.

angry_treefrog 02-15-2013 07:08 PM

First the taxpayers of Miami get fleeced by the Marlins.

Then the taxpayers of Broward county gave the Panthers a few million $ more loan money to build the boondoggle that is Club Red.

Soon Miami Dade taxpayers will be paying for renovations for the Dolphins.

:handclap: Infrastructure is vastly overrated. Give us bread and circus.

Northender 02-15-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX (Post 59780331)
Again, what does that matter? If they are sold, it's tremendously lucrative.

I don't buy it being a joke anymore than the entire bowl at the ACC being suits. Let the Panthers do what they want. Open bar, included food, parking and all that jazz for a pretty busy venue. They'll eventually find the pricing sweetspot and this won't be an issue. The team is profitable because of how the group runs the arena, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

And usually empty as well...

htpwn 02-15-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northender (Post 59794985)
And usually empty as well...

Only for the start of each period.

Undertakerqc 02-15-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matCH penalty (Post 59786027)

Terrible market none the less...

FuriousSenator 02-15-2013 08:48 PM

So is Quebec if their owners moved the team.......

Can't find a point in history when a team had to be moved OUT of Florida.....