HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   STARS HISTORY: Was Joe Nieuwendyk the true leader or "C"-wearing Hatcher? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1351333)

VanIslander 02-15-2013 05:05 PM

STARS HISTORY: Was Joe Nieuwendyk the true leader or "C"-wearing Hatcher?

I remember Joe as more of the leader of the team on the ice, the bench and in interviews. On another board some are saying the team was full of leaders so Joe wasn't significant in that regard. One went so far as to imply that Joe was simply a hired gun and at most one of the gang.

How much of a leader do you recall Nieuwendyk being, especially relative to Derian Hatcher?

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/stars/images/u...her_cup325.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0628...ndyk01_400.jpg

LatvianTwist 02-15-2013 05:07 PM

Didn't follow the team back then (was too young), but from everything I've heard, Hatcher was the leader off the ice. Niuewy was definitely a leader, but not really a captain without the C or anything.

I don't think one guy really stands out as an on-ice leader, either.

I could be dead wrong though, as I said I was too young to really know much about the team back then.

VanIslander 02-15-2013 05:10 PM

Hoping to get feedback from Dallas fans who saw the team back then and remember...

Stars99Lobo37 02-15-2013 05:19 PM

Safe to say those teams were definitely not lacking in any type of leadership, from the front office to the ice.

livewell68 02-15-2013 05:29 PM

Maybe because I didn't follow the Stars as much back then but I always got the feeling that it was Modano who was the leader of that team.

I guess now that I think of it, Modano was the media darling and the biggest fan favorite in Dallas who did assume a leadership role as time passed, especially when he started to sacrifice his own offense and bought into the two-way game under Hitchcock but I also heard that Modano was a bit of a diva at times.

Can someone quantify this notion?

That being said, I think the Stars didn't have one true leader but a group leadership comprised of Nieuwendyk, Modano, Belfour, Zubov, Hatcher, heck even Carbonneau and Hull contributed to this.

LatvianTwist 02-15-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanIslander (Post 59783547)
Hoping to get feedback from Dallas fans who saw the team back then and remember...

Not gonna get that in 5 minutes... I guess next time I don't have to respond at all.

piqued 02-15-2013 05:45 PM

Are we talking about the Cup winning team here?

The real leaders of that team were vets like Guy Carbonneau, Mike Keane and Pat Verbeek.

Hatcher and Nieuwendyk were roughly on the same level I'd say. They were the leaders of the core of the team. Modano was the offensive catalyst, but not really a leader.

CorwiN 02-15-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanIslander (Post 59783309)
I remember Joe as more of the leader of the team on the ice, the bench and in interviews. On another board some are saying the team was full of leaders so Joe wasn't significant in that regard. One went so far as to imply that Joe was simply a hired gun and at most one of the gang.

How much of a leader do you recall Nieuwendyk being, especially relative to Derian Hatcher?

Well, I was a lot younger and more vulnerable to taking things at face value at the time, but I always got the impression that Hatcher was one of the real leaders of the team. It wasn't just about the crazy, dirty things he'd do for the team, but also something about the way other players talked about him, and the way he sort-of "carried himself."

Sure, Nieuwy was probably a leader. But I don't think he was more important as a leader than Hatcher.

Regarding the notion of Modano being a serious leader to the team, I never got that impression. At least not in a good way. And I don't think this team has had a real leader for a long time.

Troy McClure 02-15-2013 06:28 PM

By the articles written after the Cup, Hatcher, Carbonneau, and Hull were the main leaders who frequently negotiated leniency with Hitch.

But the team was loaded with guys who were former captains. The team was loaded with veteran leadership.

tjcurrie 02-15-2013 06:40 PM

That team was full of leaders, full of guys who stepped up at different times in different ways.

In regards to Hatcher vs Nieuwendyk, tough to slice it really. They were both leaders in different ways. Nieuwendyk had already won a Cup so he brought that element, plus he stepped up with his clutch goals in the playoffs. Hatcher was the physical force that the team (especially the D core) was built around. I know that him breaking Roenick's jaw late in that season was a huge boost for the team. So really they both helped shape the team in their own way. To say Joe wasnt significant though in that regard is a mistake. He was vital in every way.

It doesn't have to be a tug of war over credit, a bunch of guys deserve top marks.