HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Injury Report: Samuelsson out 2 weeks, fractured finger (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1351387)

joe89 02-15-2013 06:33 PM

Samuelsson out 2 weeks, fractured finger
 
Samuelsson:
Quote:

General manager Ken Holland told the Free Press today that Samuelsson has "a non-displaced fractured finger" and that he will be out a minimum of 14 days before being re-evaluated.
The rest:
Quote:

Howard experienced blurry vision, general manager Ken Holland said, after getting hit during practice.

Johan Franzen missed his fourth game because of a hip flexor but he said he should be ready to play Thursday. Defenseman Brendan Smith, who hurt a shoulder Feb. 2, is aiming for next week. Defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo, also sidelined by a shoulder injury, has also been skating and is nearing a return.

The worst of the bunch remain the two forwards who are dealing with back pain. Darren Helm is skulking around with the team but not practicing, while Todd Bertuzzi is in such bad shape he's basically on bed-rest.

Jurky 02-15-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 59788447)
Thought I'd pass along to get an overview.

Bob Duff @asktheduffer
Datsyuk out with undisclosed injury/ailment. Listed as day-to-day. #redwings now saying Datsyuk has an upper-body injury.

Holland on Bertuzzi: "His lower back is bothering him. I've got to believe he's out probably a minimum of a couple weeks."

Helm: “We're in a holding pattern, no idea of time frame." “Doctors aren't sure if it's a strain or slight ligament tear." "Judging by how long he's been out, likely a slight tear.''

Gustavsson: “He might go to Grand Rapids on a conditioning stint. We'll decide that tonight or tomorrow morning."

Franzen: “He's day to day. Out for Sunday.''

“Mursak (collarbone) and Samuelsson (groin) are close. Maybe Sunday or Tuesday, barring a setback.''

'“Smith (shoulder) is a week to 10 days away, if not next weekend, then shortly after. Same with Colaiacovo (shoulder).''

Aside from Bert and Helm it seems like everyone is starting to get healthy, which is good to hear. Glad to hear about Monster the most thought, Jimmy needs a solid backup and Mrazek needs to be playing not bench warming.
I'm just praying to every single deity known to man that Pav's injury isn't bad.

needzmoarcleary 02-15-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren (Post 59803481)
Aside from Bert and Helm it seems like everyone is starting to get healthy, which is good to hear. Glad to hear about Monster the most thought, Jimmy needs a solid backup and Mrazek needs to be playing not bench warming.
I'm just praying to every single deity known to man that Pav's injury isn't bad.

Mrazek played solid in his only NHL game, why not throw him another? I mean it's not like we are contenders at this point and it is somewhat fairly early in the season right. Could it really hurt us to try and let the kid play some more? I'm not criticizing you just saying lol.

Jurky 02-16-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datsykiandeke (Post 59809463)
Mrazek played solid in his only NHL game, why not throw him another? I mean it's not like we are contenders at this point and it is somewhat fairly early in the season right. Could it really hurt us to try and let the kid play some more? I'm not criticizing you just saying lol.

Perhaps "solid backup" was a poor choice of words on my part, I meant to say that Jimmy needs a backup that they (Babs and co.) are actually comfortable playing.
I'm all for Mrazek getting another game or two and playing like an actual #2 goalie but I think that management might be a little hesitant to play Petr, him being a rookie and all. Which means they'll keep playing Jimmy until they absolutely have to rest him, with Gustavsson they'd be more comfortable (IMO) starting him and resting Jimmy.
I.E. If they had Gus in the lineup Jimmy probably would have sat the Edmonton game and/or tonight's game. Instead Jimmy plays all of them with only 1 game's rest and Mrazek is missing out on valuable playing time.

Edit:

From Khan:
Monster going to GR for conditioning stint.

Hammettf2b 02-16-2013 04:11 PM

Franzen on IR per NHL Network

JmanWingsFan 02-16-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammettf2b (Post 59839759)
Franzen on IR per NHL Network

If this injury plague continues, I think I may end saying something stupid like advocate making a sacrifice to the hockey god(s). This is the 4th year in a row we've had to deal with everyone falling like flies.

Soft Rock Renegade 02-16-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammettf2b (Post 59839759)
Franzen on IR per NHL Network

just to activate monster for his rehab start in GR tomorrow

The Silver Lining 02-17-2013 11:25 AM

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive
Datayuk said he'll take pregame warmup and then decide whether he can play tonight.

kurt 02-19-2013 10:41 PM

How seriously is Howard injured?

nik jr 02-19-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt (Post 60074787)
How seriously is Howard injured?

seems to be unknown at the moment. i can't find anything.

joe89 02-19-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt (Post 60074787)
How seriously is Howard injured?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik jr (Post 60075251)
seems to be unknown at the moment. i can't find anything.

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames
Update on #RedWings G Jimmy Howard: Blurred vision after getting banged around in practice. Babcock wasn't aware. Howard to see doctor Wed.

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames
Update on #RedWings F Mikael Samuelsson: Got hit on hand by Ian White shot during Tue. morning skate. Will get tests Wed.

kurt 02-19-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 60075637)
Helene St. James @HeleneStJames
Update on #RedWings G Jimmy Howard: Blurred vision after getting banged around in practice. Babcock wasn't aware. Howard to see doctor Wed.

Helene St. James @HeleneStJames
Update on #RedWings F Mikael Samuelsson: Got hit on hand by Ian White shot during Tue. morning skate. Will get tests Wed.

If he's out any length of time, do you think the Wings will go with Gustavsson or Mrazek?

joe89 02-19-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt (Post 60078833)
If he's out any length of time, do you think the Wings will go with Gustavsson or Mrazek?

Gustavsson.

The Zetterberg Era 02-19-2013 11:54 PM

Sounds like Howard has a concussion, could be out a while in that case.

nik jr 02-19-2013 11:56 PM

why would a goalie play a game of hockey with blurry vision? :help:

Fugu 02-19-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 60080561)
Sounds like Howard has a concussion, could be out a while in that case.


If it is concussion-like symptoms, he has to be out for at least a week after all symptoms disappear and then he has to ramp up (no contact, no symptoms, contact allowed, no symptoms, etc.).

The Zetterberg Era 02-20-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik jr (Post 60080641)
why would a goalie play a game of hockey with blurry vision? :help:

Contract? The team is already short handed and he is competitive? Either way it was a poor decision by Jimmy, hope he feels better, but imagine if he took a Weber slapper off the mask like Osgood did a couple years back with this already going on? Not good and it sounds like other guys knew and just not Babcock which someone needs to answer for why that was kept and it is flat out inexcusable.

RedWinger10 02-20-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik jr (Post 60080641)
why would a goalie play a game of hockey with blurry vision? :help:

Exactly!!! What the hell was he thinking. You kinda need to see the puck wouldn't you think. MOD

Fugu 02-20-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 60080887)
Contract? The team is already short handed and he is competitive? Either way it was a poor decision by Jimmy, hope he feels better, but imagine if he took a Weber slapper off the mask like Osgood did a couple years back with this already going on? Not good and it sounds like other guys knew and just not Babcock which someone needs to answer for why that was kept and it is flat out inexcusable.


What???


I think you might want to go freshen up on concussion symptoms and the mandatory medical checks required on players once they're detected.

The Zetterberg Era 02-20-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 60082949)
What???


I think you might want to go freshen up on concussion symptoms and the mandatory medical checks required on players once they're detected.

Here is Babcock's quote:

Quote:

“He got hit in practice, and I didn’t know about that,'' Babcock said. “He wasn’t seeing good, or something like that. I was watching the game and someone told me. We made the switch and tried to buy some time for Gus to get ready.”
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....th_effort.html

Maybe only the players dimed him out later, but it was clear someone told him to get him out of there because of this. They knew it going into the game and Babcock did not. That was the inexcusable part, I am up to date on the concussion stuff and if that is a Renney or Bedard holding that information back it is really awful stuff.

The mandatory nature is what concerns me, what was he doing on the ice was my entire point? Jimmy might not want to tell anybody, but someone knew to tell Babcock. That is where that story takes a surprising turn, not like Jimmy skated over and told him, he didn't put it that way.

joe89 02-20-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 60080887)
Contract? The team is already short handed and he is competitive?

Sadly I think you're on to something. Not that he is competitive, but that he's playing for a lot of $ right now. The difference between a good and a bad season, a healthy or unhealthy goaltender, is huge. Howard's never had any severe injuries but they are starting to pile up. League-wide he's known as the guy who played well behind Lidstrom, but now without him he's posting his worst numbers since he entered the league. Right now he's probably pretty desperate to prove to everybody he doesn't need Nick and that he's worthy of that extra million.

Fugu 02-20-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 60083313)
Here is Babcock's quote:



http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....th_effort.html

Maybe only the players dimed him out later, but it was clear someone told him to get him out of there because of this. They knew it going into the game and Babcock did not. That was the inexcusable part, I am up to date on the concussion stuff and if that is a Renney or Bedard holding that information back it is really awful stuff.

The mandatory nature is what concerns me, what was he doing on the ice was my entire point? Jimmy might not want to tell anybody, but someone knew to tell Babcock. That is where that story takes a surprising turn, not like Jimmy skated over and told him, he didn't put it that way.

Ah, sorry if I came across as short. I misunderstood what you meant.


Players are often guilty of withholding injury info, especially at the younger levels (e.g., HS football players), but you see it in pro sports too if someone is trying to hold down a spot. I think once they become better educated about the concerns with ignoring concussion symptoms, they might come to their senses. Then again, you have guys who just keep ignoring them and turning to drugs (enforcer types).

SoupNazi 02-20-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 60083313)
Here is Babcock's quote:



http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....th_effort.html

Maybe only the players dimed him out later, but it was clear someone told him to get him out of there because of this. They knew it going into the game and Babcock did not. That was the inexcusable part, I am up to date on the concussion stuff and if that is a Renney or Bedard holding that information back it is really awful stuff.

The mandatory nature is what concerns me, what was he doing on the ice was my entire point? Jimmy might not want to tell anybody, but someone knew to tell Babcock. That is where that story takes a surprising turn, not like Jimmy skated over and told him, he didn't put it that way.

If it was one of them I really hope they're worried about their job this morning, because that's inexcusable, and may have cost us the game last night in addition to whatever it did to Jimmy's health.

Henkka 02-20-2013 09:08 AM

Concussion for Howard? Where and when did that come from?

Heaton 02-20-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkka (Post 60090109)
Concussion for Howard? Where and when did that come from?

Having to watch Cleary every night amritie?? I'll show myself out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.