HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   NHL Center Ice - Every Game But 1 is Blacked Out Right Now (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1352197)

stator 02-16-2013 06:53 PM

NHL Center Ice - Every Game But 1 is Blacked Out Right Now

Why is that? Sharks are not playing today and I can only watch the OTT vs TOR game, all the others including the pre-game shows are listed as

"This game is not available due to blackout restrictions in your area."

Yes, I am signed in, and feel that I was hoodwink by the NHL to the tune of $50.

BTW, I am in the city limits of San Jose, and about 15 miles from the tank.

beertelescope 02-16-2013 07:05 PM

The blackouts are pretty ridiculous this year. Missing three Sharks games in a row this week on Gamecenter, because I don't have the most expensive cable package possible (the only one that contains NHL Network).

Dusk Soldier 02-16-2013 07:09 PM

Montreal/Philly is on NHL network,that's why it's blacked out.
NJ/NYI is on MSG, I guess that broadcasts nationally too?

the other games don't start untill eight.

stator 02-16-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusk Soldier (Post 59850111)
Montreal/Philly is on NHL network,that's why it's blacked out.
NJ/NYI is on MSG, I guess that broadcasts nationally too?

the other games don't start untill eight.

Thanks for the info.

At least the Ottawa vs Toronto is a good game. This is the first game I've watch on Center Ice. I usually result to end up looking for a stream due to all the blackouts.

Phu 02-16-2013 07:34 PM

Yeah blackouts really suck. Someone calculated earlier that something like 1/3 of the sharks games are blacked out.

theotis77 02-17-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beertelescope (Post 59849769)
The blackouts are pretty ridiculous this year. Missing three Sharks games in a row this week on Gamecenter, because I don't have the most expensive cable package possible (the only one that contains NHL Network).

I've been a Center Ice subscriber every year since 2001, specifically to watch the Sharks because I live out of town. I cut the cord on cable/satellite last year, and decided to do Gamecenter instead. Was okay last season. This season is a pathetic joke.

I think I'm done with Gamecenter after this season. Paying that much money per year, and being denied 33% of the games I paid for? No, thank you. Would rather pay some sketchy Russian-run steaming site than finance the NHL's stupid blackout regulations.

sharklife25 02-17-2013 10:31 AM

lol.... or just stream it for free.... Why pay for sketchy russian sites when you can get it all for free?

I have a gamecenter subscription and OMFG it actually works.... stop complaining people

sharklife25 02-17-2013 10:34 AM

and we as sharks fan really need to just stop complaining about everything.... yeah the team sucks right now and maybe they'll get it together but my god are we a bunch of whiners

beertelescope 02-17-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theotis77 (Post 59882039)
I've been a Center Ice subscriber every year since 2001, specifically to watch the Sharks because I live out of town. I cut the cord on cable/satellite last year, and decided to do Gamecenter instead. Was okay last season. This season is a pathetic joke.

I think I'm done with Gamecenter after this season. Paying that much money per year, and being denied 33% of the games I paid for? No, thank you. Would rather pay some sketchy Russian-run steaming site than finance the NHL's stupid blackout regulations.

This is my first year on Gamecenter (just moved from California and using it specifically for the Sharks as well) and I'm already regretting it. Aside from the blackouts, I've had maybe two of the games stream without issues so far. Otherwise, I've had every problem from the picture jumping back (or ahead) about two minutes repeatedly, or stopping to buffer and change quality every thirty seconds (internet speed not being the issue.)

I really like it for the features (picture quality when working correctly, being able to choose to watch the Randy and Drew broadcast every game, replay of the game without commercials if I missed it live), but the lack of proper functionality this year is completely ruining it for me. It's hardly working like it would be worth 50$ for a full season right now.

Phu 02-17-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharklife25 (Post 59886681)
lol.... or just stream it for free.... Why pay for sketchy russian sites when you can get it all for free?

I have a gamecenter subscription and OMFG it actually works.... stop complaining people

this made no sense whatsoever.

SharksFan1 02-18-2013 11:15 AM

For those of you that have Gamecenter Live you can use the Chrome app Stealthy. Just log into you account enable Stealthy. Select the game you want to watch and wait for it to start playing and then you can turn Stealthy off. It has been working like a charm to get around all of the blackouts this year.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ikadnoje?hl=en

Not sure if they fixed it, but Stealthy stopped working for me half way through the season.

beertelescope 02-18-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharksFan1 (Post 59953579)
For those of you that have Gamecenter Live you can use the Chrome app Stealthy. Just log into you account enable Stealthy. Select the game you want to watch and wait for it to start playing and then you can turn Stealthy off. It has been working like a charm to get around all of the blackouts this year.

I was considering this option. As long as I disable it once the game starts, it shouldn't affect my bandwidth, right? Also, what's the risk level of using something like this and my Gamecenter subscription being revoked?

Lemieuxfan 05-01-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharksFan1 (Post 59953579)

Does that also work for Firefox and Germany?

Brent Burns 05-01-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beertelescope (Post 59954157)
I was considering this option. As long as I disable it once the game starts, it shouldn't affect my bandwidth, right? Also, what's the risk level of using something like this and my Gamecenter subscription being revoked?

It's what I use. Just turn the app on when you click to play the game you want. Wait for it to load, then turn the app off so you're back on your non proxy connection (which should be a lot faster). I've been using this all season and haven't been booted. I haven't heard of anyone being booted using it either.

SharksFan1 05-01-2013 11:32 AM

It is because they are all being air nationally on NBC/NBCSports. The blackouts and the buffering issues is the main reason I am going with hockeystreams next year. Got Hockeystreams for the playoffs and it worked fine last night.

SharksFan1 05-01-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Burns (Post 65025023)
It's what I use. Just turn the app on when you click to play the game you want. Wait for it to load, then turn the app off so you're back on your non proxy connection (which should be a lot faster). I've been using this all season and haven't been booted. I haven't heard of anyone being booted using it either.

That's weird. Stealthy seemed to stop working for me half way through the season...

stator 05-06-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharksFan1 (Post 65025395)
That's weird. Stealthy seemed to stop working for me half way through the season...

Tried it lately without success either.

Requin 05-07-2013 04:14 PM

I got GameCenter this year, because I figured it was cheaper than normal and I'd try it out.

Never again.

They black out the NBC games; okay, that makes sense, I could get NBC if I invested in like a $5 antenna. Then they black out TSN and NHL Network. What? One of those is in Canada, the other one is a zillion dollars.

It makes me so mad, because I only am able to watch 20 or so games a year. If they had a PPV thing, I would gladly chip a couple bucks a game. But as it stands, I'm being asked to pay $160 (in a normal season) to get 50% of what I want to watch blacked out, or pay even more for fancypants cable subscriptions that I can not afford on a grad student stipend.

I'm true to my word. I stopped pirating music as soon as iTunes type services started, because I was able to pay a fair price for what I consumed. Same deal applies for hockey, as far as I'm concerned - they give me a reasonable way to pay, I'll pay it. Until then.... ahoy, mateys.

do0glas 05-07-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requin (Post 65519665)
I got GameCenter this year, because I figured it was cheaper than normal and I'd try it out.

Never again.

They black out the NBC games; okay, that makes sense, I could get NBC if I invested in like a $5 antenna. Then they black out TSN and NHL Network. What? One of those is in Canada, the other one is a zillion dollars.

It makes me so mad, because I only am able to watch 20 or so games a year. If they had a PPV thing, I would gladly chip a couple bucks a game. But as it stands, I'm being asked to pay $160 (in a normal season) to get 50% of what I want to watch blacked out, or pay even more for fancypants cable subscriptions that I can not afford on a grad student stipend.

I'm true to my word. I stopped pirating music as soon as iTunes type services started, because I was able to pay a fair price for what I consumed. Same deal applies for hockey, as far as I'm concerned - they give me a reasonable way to pay, I'll pay it. Until then.... ahoy, mateys.

it seems strange to me.

for one, stop advertising a service in the playoffs when you arent allowed to show any playoff games.

secondly, the point of the service is the be able to watch games from your local market when you dont have access to TV or are out of state or whatever. just seems disingenuous.

stator 05-08-2013 08:47 AM

Another action the NHL can take to improve Center Ice is to not have you watch the ads in the beginning of the game highlights after logging in.

Annoying as all heck.

Realize 05-13-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharksFan1 (Post 65025395)

Stealthy still works good.
Just select Brasil as Server location - and until the stream is running you can turn off Stealthy. Connection comes back to normal speed then.

Just a great tool :D

Edit: I hate it not to see the advertisements.. sorry about that but starring at the same background for 18 Minutes twice an evening + TV timeouts makes my eyes sleeping ..
And as it's very funny to see different ads regarding to Germany it's okay. Btw : the food at McDonalds is much cheaper in the USA as in Germany :D