HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Why do we whine so much? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1352685)

sharklife25 02-17-2013 10:35 AM

Why do we whine so much?

So as a Sharks fan, I feel like I complain A LOT...

And I've noticed, I'm not alone....

Why do we whine so much about everything? Is it a west coast thing? Is it because we're slumping? Hell, even when we were winning people were whining....

What is our problem?

Gene Parmesan 02-17-2013 10:40 AM

Spoiled fan base.

Gilligans Island 02-17-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan (Post 59887029)
Spoiled fan base.

That but also b/c of 7 straight years of playoff disappointment exacerbated by DW-purported "we are cup contenders" crap also brings out the whine.

sjshrky27 02-17-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharklife25 (Post 59886833)

Why do we whine so much about everything? Is it a west coast thing? Is it because we're slumping? Hell, even when we were winning people were whining....

What is our problem?

I think everyone here whines for the most part. I know I do alot. Ive actually been trying to not be as negitive as I have been in the past, cause Im sure it's annoying to other members, and my hockey knowlage isnt even close to many here on the boards. Which just makes me look stupid at times.

Its not a west coast thing either. It happens in all sports, and all locations.

The problem with us Sharks fans IMO is were accustomed to a winning team, which isnt happening right now.

A long losing streak will bring out the bad always. Once things turn around everybody will be blowing kisses and hugging each other once again

Gene Parmesan 02-17-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 59887259)
That but also b/c of 7 straight years of playoff disappointment exacerbated by DW-purported "we are cup contenders" crap also brings out the whine.

Thats true.

ChompChomp 02-17-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

What is our problem?

There are MANY reasons, but one I want to mention is that we have a GM who is too shy on the trigger to fire a coach.

Many of us wanted Ron Wilson fired after 06-07. The Red Wings series that year was indicative of how Wilson's coaching failed the team (first 4 games of the series, Sharks had a third period lead, yet went 2-2 in those games). DW wouldn't pull the trigger and we went through 07-08 and then finally DW had enough.

With TMac, the WCF series against the Canucks demonstrated how TMac cannot make strategic adjustments, yet DW continued with TMac. The season/playoff series vs. Blues last season really demonstrated this, yet TMac is still here.

Not saying that GM's should be trigger happy with coaching changes, but DW is on the other end of the spectrum and that's just as bad. Todd McLellan is not getting the most out of the squad as currently assembled and lacks the ability to make strategic adjustments (in-game in particular).

Lazyking 02-17-2013 11:12 AM

its a message board with thousands of people.. Sharks fans ain't the only ones trust me. We're all diehard hockey fans that have to over analyze everything, the Sharks have been bad lately =whining.

Alaskanice 02-17-2013 11:25 AM

I rarely whine. This team gets my full support. I can say that the fact that we are the only California team without a Stanley Cup really sucks.

Fistfullofbeer 02-17-2013 12:02 PM

Is expressing concern and disappointment at the teams repeated failures whining? Well .. maybe it is.

But as fans that is all we can do .. its not that we can actually make trades, change leadership, make players execute the game plan, etc.

Also, expressing dissatisfaction with the teams poor performance is only natural. Its more concerning if you dont care when you team is not doing well. However, it doesnt mean that the team does NOT have my support. I still support them with all my heart .. every time they are on the ice .. even if they are stinking it up .. :laugh:

Kitten Mittons 02-17-2013 12:12 PM

A glass of whine a day has been proven to improve one's health.

vilpertti 02-17-2013 12:59 PM

As someone who's been a fan of the team for pretty close to 20 years, seen the team play once in Globen Stockholm, getting up many nights a week at random hours during the night to watch them on GCL... And beating what I'd estimate is 99% of the board in account age:

<rant>I wish the whine at least came with good analysis and analogues, but no. There used to be less whine and more proper analysis on this board, and it used to be the best in HF. Now it's just "ugh Patty didn't score, DW is dumb for not trading him". And I must have watched a different team over the decades considering some of the memories I have are completely different from what are passed as fact here. Mostly to back up someone's argument that otherwise would sound questionable.

DW is a great GM, you're never going to replace Marleau in a trade, rookies aren't always better than Clowe, speed isn't everything, Murray is an NHL caliber defenseman and McLellan is a good coach.</rant>

Phu 02-17-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan (Post 59887029)
Spoiled fan base.

Mostly this IMO. The evidence is that the whining has gotten worse the more playoff success we have had.

Currently of course being in a bad losing streak is causing extra whining. But I notice that far too many Sharks fans have been spoiled by our consistent playoff success and do not realize that luck plays a pivotal role in results, therefore it makes little sense to whine about what the players are doing it if they are clearly having no luck.

I daresay it prevents people from enjoying the product as it stands, which is completely self-defeating. Sports is entertainment and cheating yourself of enjoyment of your favorite team's journeys is nonsensical and not just a little self-centered.

Mafoofoo 02-17-2013 01:06 PM

Because then everyone would be civil and polite on top of us having nothing to do and that's no fun at all.

Gene Parmesan 02-17-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilpertti (Post 59895041)
As someone who's been a fan of the team for pretty close to 20 years, seen the team play once in Globen Stockholm, getting up many nights a week at random hours during the night to watch them on GCL... And beating what I'd estimate is 99% of the board in account age:

<rant>I wish the whine at least came with good analysis and analogues, but no. There used to be less whine and more proper analysis on this board, and it used to be the best in HF. Now it's just "ugh Patty didn't score, DW is dumb for not trading him". And I must have watched a different team over the decades considering some of the memories I have are completely different from what are passed as fact here. Mostly to back up someone's argument that otherwise would sound questionable.

DW is a great GM, you're never going to replace Marleau in a trade, rookies aren't always better than Clowe, speed isn't everything, Murray is an NHL caliber defenseman and McLellan is a good coach.</rant>

This is a great post.

Shape 02-17-2013 01:17 PM

"This is what happens when you **** a stranger in the *ss"

We just need to win one time damnit. That should quell the whining.

Channing Tatum 02-17-2013 01:32 PM

Wats better than enjoying a glass of marleau

param 02-17-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 59892029)
A glass of whine a day has been proven to improve one's health.

I think you've had more than just one...

wtfisthis 02-17-2013 01:55 PM

Its not a west coast thing, its not a spoiled fan base thing, its not any of that ****. And spoiled by what exactly? Yeah, they've been annual contenders for a while but this team hasnt had enough success to spoil fans IMO. Whining happens in all sports, all around the world.

BCShark 02-17-2013 02:09 PM

underachieving all the time is frustrating, especially the manner we do it in. not getting half way to the cup with the roster and talent we have had for the past 7 seasons is inexcusable.

lsx 02-17-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 59888373)
There are MANY reasons, but one I want to mention is that we have a GM who is too shy on the trigger to fire a coach.

Many of us wanted Ron Wilson fired after 06-07. The Red Wings series that year was indicative of how Wilson's coaching failed the team (first 4 games of the series, Sharks had a third period lead, yet went 2-2 in those games). DW wouldn't pull the trigger and we went through 07-08 and then finally DW had enough.

With TMac, the WCF series against the Canucks demonstrated how TMac cannot make strategic adjustments, yet DW continued with TMac. The season/playoff series vs. Blues last season really demonstrated this, yet TMac is still here.

Not saying that GM's should be trigger happy with coaching changes, but DW is on the other end of the spectrum and that's just as bad. Todd McLellan is not getting the most out of the squad as currently assembled and lacks the ability to make strategic adjustments (in-game in particular).

Absolutely.

As for the self depreciating statements and whining, I'll take that any day over being blinded by bias and ignorance and full of baseless arrogance like some other fan bases.

Nighthock 02-17-2013 02:48 PM

because we're near Napa Valley

HBSauce 02-17-2013 03:59 PM

Always lurking but come out of the woodshed to post when we aren't doing welll.

I've been thinking that the reason for my frustration for this team is that they are the exact contrast to the pre 2005 lockout Sharks. The pre lockout sharks were always fun to cheer for since they worked hard, had less skill than the other teams they faced (especially playoff runs), and never questioned their identity of a hard working, grind out a win team.

The past 7 seasons of Sharks hockey I feel like I've never thought regularly we would outwork the other team to get a win, and we never worked hard enough to get the bounces that went against us.

That said, I will always stick with the team in highs or lows but I'm disappointed with the vision (or lack their of) this team and organization has.

I support trades, coaching, or management changes in the coming months but if they don't change I will still be a sucker and rally for them since I will always be a sharks fan, 7 game streak or slide.

Go Sharks

lsx 02-17-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBSauce (Post 59907811)
Always lurking but come out of the woodshed to post when we aren't doing welll.

I've been thinking that the reason for my frustration for this team is that they are the exact contrast to the pre 2005 lockout Sharks. The pre lockout sharks were always fun to cheer for since they worked hard, had less skill than the other teams they faced (especially playoff runs), and never questioned their identity of a hard working, grind out a win team.

The past 7 seasons of Sharks hockey I feel like I've never thought regularly we would outwork the other team to get a win, and we never worked hard enough to get the bounces that went against us.

That said, I will always stick with the team in highs or lows but I'm disappointed with the vision (or lack their of) this team and organization has.

I support trades, coaching, or management changes in the coming months but if they don't change I will still be a sucker and rally for them since I will always be a sharks fan, 7 game streak or slide.

Go Sharks

Excellent points, and I agree.

TheJuxtaposer 02-17-2013 04:24 PM

Agreed with HBSauce. There are a disproportionate amount of posters who have absolutely no interest in having remotely intelligent discussion about hockey, but rather only appear when the Sharks are bad to dump on their various whipping boys (McLellan/DW, Marleau, Thornton, Murray, Braun, Niemi, whoever). That's why our fanbase seems so negative; we have very few pure optimists, a good amount of realists, and a tons of pessimists that suddenly come out of the woodwork when we're losing.

MarleauApologist 02-17-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

What is our problem?

Because the team has never achieved anything despite always being good and never great, which is the worst spot to be. I'd honestly much rather we be that one ****** team than that one good team that's just "there", which is all the franchise ever seems to be.